Warning About Roomette Glitch on Amtrak Website (All Sleeper Trains)

GrnMtnMan

DIS Veteran
I’m monitoring auto train prices from my summer 2018 trip. There’s an annoying glitch that’s been popping up yesterday and today.

When toggling through the rooms available, roomettes are showing up looking like this:

snip1.JPG

When you click the arrow to go to the next type of room, you get this, showing a roomette at a lower price:

snip2.JPG

Turns out there’s a glitch, and this price is for a business class seat. Fortunately, when I was about to pay, I noticed that my accommodation type showed business class seat instead of the cheaper roomette that I’d chosen. I doubt Amtrak will honor the roomette for business class seat price. If you find out otherwise, please let me know.

I've checked multiple days, and the same thing is showing up.

The problem still exists today. And I checked a few other sleeper routes, and the glitch is there as well:

snip3.JPG

Versus this, one click away:

snip4.JPG

I called to ask would they honor the lower price for roomettes and the agent I spoke with said no. She said they're giving penalty-free refunds. If someone gets an agent that honors the advertised price, please post here.

As a frequent Amtrak traveler I can promise you that they will NOT honor that price. I'm an Amtrak fan, but it is what it is. It's a government entity; there's no competition. You can't haggle with the DMV either...

As a frequent Amtrak traveler I can promise you that they will NOT honor that price. I'm an Amtrak fan, but it is what it is. It's a government entity; there's no competition. You can't haggle with the DMV either...
Agreed....they're behaving the way I expect.

But they have been known to surprise me: two years ago I had booked the auto train with points. In the time between my booking and when I needed to make a date change for my trip, they re-calibrated their loyalty program point system (the value of points were changed significantly). As a result, I got a huge number of points back. So the points that were enough for one trip on the auto train turned into enough for two trips. But this all happened within their systems, so I don't think the agent I dealt with did me any special favors.

I got a great price this week on two roomettes. Thank you, thank you for reminding me to check the prices! I had to call to get across the aisle from each other after making an on-line reservation and getting two sides of the aisle but not across from each other. The agent switched them with no problem and no price change. Very pleased.

I got a great price this week on two roomettes. Thank you, thank you for reminding me to check the prices! I had to call to get across the aisle from each other after making an on-line reservation and getting two sides of the aisle but not across from each other. The agent switched them with no problem and no price change. Very pleased.
I posted about prices being down on the auto train thread.

Anyway, sometime last week the website got fixed.

And then earlier this week, summer 2018 prices came down:

Captureaaa.JPG

Get'em while they're down!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter