Wanting to catch a Rays Baseball Game

Castaway Kev

I'd like to eat at Club 33 just once in my life.
My family of 5 have a couple of summer trips planned for Orlando. We have DVC and annual passes. We rent a car when we come into town. I’m hoping to take one evening and drive over to St. Pete to catch a Rays game. What should I know before making this happen?
How is the traffic?
Is it worth getting there early?
Where are the best seats?
What can’t be missed at the ballpark?

My wife and kids don’t share this interest so will probably stay back at DW. Is there anything at the ballpark this might pique their interest?

My family of 5 have a couple of summer trips planned for Orlando. We have DVC and annual passes. We rent a car when we come into town. I’m hoping to take one evening and drive over to St. Pete to catch a Rays game. What should I know before making this happen?
How is the traffic?
Is it worth getting there early?
Where are the best seats?
What can’t be missed at the ballpark?

My wife and kids don’t share this interest so will probably stay back at DW. Is there anything at the ballpark this might pique their interest?
You know it probably will be 2 hours each way ...

As mentioned, it will be about a 2 hour drive each way, depending on the day of the week and the time of the game you would choose. Getting there early can help a bit with parking or if you are at all interested in watching some batting practice.

Best seats would probably be anything in the 101-130 sections, which are basically the field level sections down the first/third baselines. I have been a few times with my Dad the last few years, and he usually was able to get good seats without much cost (unless they are playing the Yankees or Red Sox). However, this year it seems the Rays are getting better attendance (rightly so with how well they have started the year), so might be a little more costly and harder to get those closer sections.

The only bummer is I think Tropicana is a pretty drab ballpark. It is not very visually interesting and sort of cavernous when compared to other parks I have been to. I have always found the food pretty lousy in the ballpark as well. The big draw and most unique thing about the park is the ray tank in the right-center seating area, which is mildly interesting.

That said, the Rays are playing good ball, so still worth going at least once to experience if you are a fan of baseball.

For a while my son and I were trying to visit as many MLB ballparks around the country that we could, and of the ones we visited Trop Field was one of our least favorites. I would be very disinclined to do the trek from WDW to see a game there.

The only bummer is I think Tropicana is a pretty drab ballpark. It is not very visually interesting and sort of cavernous when compared to other parks I have been to. I have always found the food pretty lousy in the ballpark as well. The big draw and most unique thing about the park is the ray tank in the right-center seating area, which is mildly interesting.

That said, the Rays are playing good ball, so still worth going at least once to experience if you are a fan of baseball.
I've been told the stadium is bad. That's part of the draw for me. I want to get there before it's gone.
What makes the food lousy? Just not exciting options? Not fresh? Too expensive?
It the tank one that the kids can reach into, or is it look only? I've seen it in various in-game cuts.
I'm looking to catch a weeknight game against the Phillies, so I'm hoping tickets are reasonable.

For a while my son and I were trying to visit as many MLB ballparks around the country that we could, and of the ones we visited Trop Field was one of our least favorites. I would be very disinclined to do the trek from WDW to see a game there.
Ha! Too funny!
I appreciate that the stadium has issues, even though I have never been. I've been to several ballparks, but the closest one is a good eight hour drive away. One of the reasons I started cheering for the Rays is that it's my best shot to take in a game-- leave the family at the parks and drive a couple hours to see whoever is there. That, and most of my siblings jumped on the Red Sox bandwagon, so it's a fun way to razz them a bit.

DD and I are trying to also visit as many ballparks as we can. This year (June) is going to be the Rays vs. Orioles and the first time visiting Tropicana Field (being Nats fans from DC, we are "sorta" O's fans).

We will be in Pinellas/St Pete though visiting family and colleges, and this is going to be the last thing we do before heading over to Orlando for a week. We ended up booking a hotel within walking distance on points for that game.

We got 1st-level seats for $10, my teen totally follows ticket prices at places we may visit. Looks like this is a full-season deal if you haven't seen it: https://www.mlb.com/rays/tickets/specials

I've been told the stadium is bad. That's part of the draw for me. I want to get there before it's gone.
It the tank one that the kids can reach into, or is it look only? I've seen it in various in-game cuts.
I'm looking to catch a weeknight game against the Phillies, so I'm hoping tickets are reasonable.

On the food, kind of both nothing exciting, and I mostly just mediocre. They have the staples, hot dogs, popcorn, beer, etc., but it is just kind of average. The only thing I remember enjoying a bit more was finding a short-rib grilled cheese, not amazing, but better than anything else I had there.

The tank is a touch tank, I know they did have some troubles over the last few years with it, so it was closed at times, but as far as I know it is open now. It does not take much time to visit, but since it is one of the unique aspects of the park, it is worth checking out.

As Rays fans since day one, we've been to several games there.

I disagree with those who don't like watching a game at Tropicana Field. Unlike other stadiums we've visited, it's always a comfortable 72 degrees & we've never been rained on. :p I agree that it's not the most interesting stadium, but I'll take bland over too hot or cold & long weather delays every time. I've been to too many sporting events where I was miserable, due to the weather. I do hope they eventually move to Tampa & hope the new stadium is climate controlled as well. You need that in Tampa. The thunderstorms are wicked.

The food is fine, if you're looking for typical ballpark fare. The Philly cheesesteak appears to be popular, but I'd advise against ordering it. It tasted like it was prepared in a crockpot. Definitely, a one & done for us.

The kids would most likely enjoy the stingray tank. They can normally touch them with 2 fingers.

ETA: We normally sit on the baselines, but most of the seats in the lower section are pretty good seats, as long as you avoid the foul poles. If you go by yourself, & want a more lively atmosphere, look for a ticket in Randy Land.

Last edited:
I couldn't help but laugh, when I turned on the Rays/Red Sox game only to discover it's rain delayed. Who could have predicted that happening? :p The Trop isn't looking so bad right now, is it? :laughing:

ETA: Now the game is postponed. That's a really bummer for those who went to the game.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter