Wanted: Soft chocolate chip cookie recipe

mommy2emily

Mouseketeer
Can anyone post a recipe for making homemade chocolate chip cookies that actually stay soft?
Can you be specific (Ex. salted or unsalted butter or margarine) How long to let cool? What do you store them in?
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! Mine never stay soft.

I will share my secret. I use the Nestle Toll House recipe but throw a very ripe banana in the recipe. The banana adds no flavor but keeps the cookies super moist. I store mine in an airtight container. Air is the enemy of cookies and makes them go stale.

Go to foodtv.com look up alton Browns Good Eats show 3 chips for Sister Marsha-He explains how to get different textures in Choc chip cookies.

Kae

I use the Nestle Toll House recipe too. I use unsalted butter. I bake them until they are just starting to brown. I remove them from the oven and let them sit on the cookie sheet a few minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack. Once cool I store them in air tight containers.

Good luck!

I too do the Toll House, use buttery flavored crisco and here's the key slightly under bake them. They continue to bake after they are out of the oven. Cool them. And store in zip-top bag.

I make the Tollhouse recipe with salted butter. I then add a box of instant vanilla pudding. They rise nicely and stay very soft.

I make a cakey chocolate chip cookie. Google Martha Stewart cakey chocolate cookie. They stay soft in a airtight container fir about a week.

Lara

We always use crisco instead of butter for a soft cookie. If your cookies start to get hard, put a piece of bread in the container and they will soften back up!

My family loves these cookies:

Combine:

3/4 C sugar
3/4 C brown sugar (I use dark brown, C&H)
2 sticks of butter, softened (not margarine)

Add:

2 eggs

Mix in:
1 1/2 C flour
1 tsp baking soda

Add:
large box of instant vanilla pudding

Use a hand mixer for all of the above.

By hand:

mix in a bag of chocolate chips

Then add another 3/4 C of flour

Bake for about 11-12 minutes at 350. I take them out before they start to brown, right as they are setting. Cool for a few minutes on the baking sheet, then move to a cooling rack. I then put them in a plastic bag and freeze them, taking them out each day to have fresh cookies for lunches.

These are super soft and chewy! I get a lot of compliments on them.

Let me know if you try them.

Once you put your cookies in an airtight container put a piece of bread in the container with the cookies. Your cookies will stay moist for a very long time. The bread may even get hard enough that you will have to put a new piece in.

Once you put your cookies in an airtight container put a piece of bread in the container with the cookies. Your cookies will stay moist for a very long time. The bread may even get hard enough that you will have to put a new piece in.

This is what I heard to do, I think it works!

This is what I do to my cookies. I sift all the dry ingredients together. I only use Salted butter - I can tell the differnce in the cookies. Then the wet ingredients, I beat with a mixer until creamy then beat in the dry ingredients until mixed then stir in the chocolate chips. I use the Toll House receipe. I also use 1/2 crisco & 1/2 butter also. I don't use all of one or the other. Mine never come out hard. everyone loves them. Good luck - I need to start baking.

I use the tollhouse recipe. I use margarine. I slightly undercook the cookies and let them sit on the pan for about 2 minutes before removing to a rack to cool. THe cookies stay nice and chewy. If I forget to take them out soon enough, I put a piece of white bread in the container and it softens them up.

I think the key is how long you cook them. I use the toll house version as well but did some mix ones yesterday and baked then a minute or two under time and the were soft and chewy and yummy.

My Grandmother taught me to do this and it totally works.

I agree with many of the other posters about Tollhouse and undercooking a bit plus adding bread used to extend the life of soft cookies but I never need the bread now because the cookies disappear in 2 days with three nearly adults boys!

The only other thing I can add is that no matter what cookie sheet I use the thing that makes them brown evenly and not spread out too thin is using parchment paper. I won't bake cookies without parchment paper now.

Can anyone post a recipe for making homemade chocolate chip cookies that actually stay soft?
Can you be specific (Ex. salted or unsalted butter or margarine) How long to let cool? What do you store them in?
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! Mine never stay soft.

This is a family recipe that my Great-Grandmother used to send boxed cookies from North Dakota to my Dad in Michigan. My mom would send them to me in the Army and they stayed soft for the journey. We stored them in everything from Coffee cans to regular cookie jars. Mine would arrive in a shoe box. Dad liked his to have sat out for a while, as I guess the mail from the Dakotas took long enough that they would be a bit stale [though still soft] and the 1st time my mom made them "fresh" for him [after secretly ferreting out Grams recipe] he thought she had done it wrong! :-)

3/4C Honey
1/2C Shortening
1/2C Apple Sauce
1&1/2C Chocolate Chips
2C Flour
2 Eggs
1tsp baking soda
1/2tsp Baking powder
1tsp Vanilla

cream shortening and apple sauce. Add honey. mix dry ingredients, then combine into wet. bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes.

If you want them softer (cake-like), add an extra egg to the Tollhouse recipe.

Still working on mine but tips that have helped me, although most may already know.....

Don't melt the butter, just soften
Add 1/4 cup flour to the nestle recipe
I have dark metal sheets and just food out I need to lower the temp to 325 and cook longer...i think this last batch I made they cooked 15 min. And were much softer than usual.

Definitely going to try some of your other ideas here!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter