Walter...was it you who railed against Craig's List?

EKW

DIS Veteran
I'm one of the idiots who uses Craig's List. Found my Townhome listed there...love it here. Gave away my moving boxes there...saved myself a fortune as the local trash service would have charged me per box to dispose of them. And, I bought this beauty there for $120:

3m73p53l25O45Y45P1a7j24d65f924e46178e1.jpg

As Barnum said, there's a sucker born every minute. Fools can get taken advantage of anywhere. You have to be smart, but using Craig's List can be a good thing.

Good find!
No doubt about it there are good deals to be had on Craig's List.
Disney tickets aren't always one of them.

Disney tickets are rarely one of them.

I love that the team made the point of warning people to be careful where they buy tickets. I spent a few months full time in the ticket booth at Disney and there is nothing worse than having a family get sent back to your window to buy tickets at full price, because the ones they bought for cheap on Ebay, Craig's List or on 192 were no good. Inexperienced folks get caught by these crooks every day and very few of them get their money back. Instead of saving a few dollars on their trip, they end up paying twice.

As to why they don't get shut down, the crime is a misdemeanor and the fine is low compared to the money they make off the tickets. Disney and Universal have been lobbying for years to make the punishment stronger but no luck.

There was a fairly big bust a couple weeks ago, but my money says those same shops will be open by the fall. The people really running the show never end up in the perp walk.

Yep...I agree about Disney tickets...tickets of any kind! Ditto jewelry and other high-risk items. I think you just need to be careful about who you deal with...back out if anything seems remotely odd (for instance, I wouldn't rent from a private owner due to stories about scams in that area).

Craigslist is full of scams and scammers. There are deals to be had and lots of good people, but with no safety net I feel its too much hassle. I also think clipping coupons is too much hassle, but that doesn't mean others shouldn't do it.

I don't use Craig's List. I know some people who have and have had no problems with anything. I'm sure there's great stuff there. But, I would never buy park tickets from anywhere other than Disney. Just not worth the risk.

Great table BTW! :)

Same. I :lovestruc love :lovestruc Craigslist and Freecycle. They helped me greatly in Both emptying my house of excess items, and Getting new items for my much smaller place. As with anywhere there are scammers etc, you just have to be a smart shopper/seller! :thumbsup2

Example: Poang Chair New from Ikea $99 - Lightly used on Craigslist $25
Hemnes Dresser new from Ikea $200 - Lightly used on CL $60
But Disney Tickets? No. I get Disney tickets for myself, friends and family through a discount site my work provides. I save $30+ per tickets... its not much, but it helps!

Believe it or not, I found my last 2 jobs on craigslist and I'm an IT manager so these weren't just any job positions, they were big opportunities for me.

I also just sold a drum set there last week.

But the fact remains, it is not regulated and you do run the risk of being scammed.:mad:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter