Walt Disney World SWAN, DOLPHIN & SWAN RESERVE RESORTS Information & Questions

In my normal search to see if my rate dropped I found that Dolphin has increased the resort fee to $40 now. Add me to the livid list for this very reason since resort fees also cover pool access.

This screenshot is for a 7-day booking. The resort fee yesterday was $245 but today jumped to $280.
View attachment 680894
Is this just for future reservations or can they try to up my resort fee for a reservation I made a couple months ago? I know they can’t change a room rate once you reserve but I don’t know about resort fees and if that is different.

Is this just for future reservations or can they try to up my resort fee for a reservation I made a couple months ago? I know they can’t change a room rate once you reserve but I don’t know about resort fees and if that is different.
I've never understood the resort fee. It irritates me that it's a mandatory charge - just put it in the price of a room.

I last re-booked in February when the resort fee was still $35 and parking was still $29 (now $32). I don’t think they can increase those because when you finalize the reservation you agree to the rate at the time of booking. If they try to charge me more I’ll politely demand the rate they both were when I booked.

However, I found this verbiage in my confirmation email. I don’t think they can increase my resort fee though because it was included in my rate amount. I’ll gladly use the argument (upon checkout) that I would’ve booked a lesser room…blah blah blah.
8CB2DE91-7990-4A06-8C46-6433ADEAE678.jpeg

In my normal search to see if my rate dropped I found that Dolphin has increased the resort fee to $40 now. Add me to the livid list for this very reason since resort fees also cover pool access.

This screenshot is for a 7-day booking. The resort fee yesterday was $245 but today jumped to $280.
View attachment 680894

I've never understood the resort fee. It irritates me that it's a mandatory charge - just put it in the price of a room.
UGH!.

Yeah, I went to S/D site, increase starts next Tuesday, July 5th,

7. How much does the mandatory Resort Service Package cost and what does it include?
Resort Service Package is $35 + tax per day and includes:

• In-room wireless internet
  • Loyalty Program guests receive enhanced speed in-room wireless internet.
  • Loyalty Program Silver Status and above guests receive enhanced high-speed in-room wireless internet plus 125 Loyalty Program points per night*.
  • Complimentary Swan Paddle-boat rentals.
  • Daily Fitness Class (live instructor).
Please note the Resort Service Package will increase to $40 + tax per day starting July 5, 2022.

And parking did increase to $32/42, self/valet

Updating page 1 OP.

I last re-booked in February when the resort fee was still $35 and parking was still $29 (now $32). I don’t think they can increase those because when you finalize the reservation you agree to the rate at the time of booking. If they try to charge me more I’ll politely demand the rate they both were when I booked.

However, I found this verbiage in my confirmation email. I don’t think they can increase my resort fee though because it was included in my rate amount. I’ll gladly use the argument (upon checkout) that I would’ve booked a lesser room…blah blah blah.
View attachment 680965

My reservation details in the Bonvoy app for my trip in August are now reflecting a higher charge due to the increase in fees than my reservation email from when I booked in May. So yes it appears they do plan to charge the higher fee regardless of booking confirmation

UGH!.

Yeah, I went to S/D site, increase starts next Tuesday, July 5th,

7. How much does the mandatory Resort Service Package cost and what does it include?
Resort Service Package is $35 + tax per day and includes:

• Loyalty Program Silver Status and above guests receive enhanced high-speed in-room wireless internet plus 125 Loyalty Program points per night*.
Please note the Resort Service Package will increase to $40 + tax per day starting July 5, 2022.

And parking did increase to $32/42, self/valet

Updating page 1 OP.
The resort fee really is robbery. I don't need in-room wireless since we all have unlimited data.
We aren't members of the Loyalty Program.
We have no desire to do the Swan Paddle boats.
And for fitness we walk around the water at the Boardwalk.

So we are forced to pay a daily fee for things we do not use. Maybe they should start charging everyone the parking fee whether they have a car or not. Makes about as much sense.

The resort fee really is robbery.
You are so right on this. I am a Gold level Bonvoy member and even for me it is pretty worthless, the only thing we really use from it is the 2 waters per day and half the time you have to ask for those.

I have always just looked at it as part of the reservation and thus think of the per night room rate as the rate plus that fee.

If however they raise what I have to pay versus what i reserved a couple months ago then that thought process changes. I know it is only $35 more on a 7 day stay but it really is the principal of it that is upsetting.

So, I just looked at my reservation on the Bonvoy site and yep, they raised the fee from what I originally was quoted.

Again I understand it is a small amount of additional money but it really angers me. I also know that if I get angry enough to just cancel the whole thing they won‘t even lose anything as I am sure they will just have the room reserved by someone else within a few days and probably at a higher rate as I got a pretty good deal on it when i reserved.

Still though, this has left a pretty loyal Marriott member pretty soured on the way they conduct business.

You are so right on this. I am a Gold level Bonvoy member and even for me it is pretty worthless, the only thing we really use from it is the 2 waters per day and half the time you have to ask for those.

I have always just looked at it as part of the reservation and thus think of the per night room rate as the rate plus that fee.

If however they raise what I have to pay versus what i reserved a couple months ago then that thought process changes. I know it is only $35 more on a 7 day stay but it really is the principal of it that is upsetting.
Exactly, like I said we don't use anything the resort fee supplies so why am I forced to pay it? We also don't have a car so they might as well charge me the daily parking fee also.

We love the Swan, but this is needless gouging.

We love the Swan, but this is needless gouging.
Totally agree on this. They should just set the nightly rate at the level they want and leave it at that or make the fee optional and if you don’t want to use those things then you don’t pay it. It is kind of misleading doing it the way they do. The afact they can raise it on you after the fact, long after you have made a reservation is really not so legit either in my mind.

In theory based on this they could decide to raise it a couple days before someone is due to arrive and then what choice will the person have. They will be inside the 5 day cancellation policy so if they cancel they they will be charged a night. All in all I just don’t feel it is the most transparent way to go with things.

As always it's the bottom line that matters. Swan Dolphin Reserve "can" be great values but if, and only if, the bottom line price continues to beat Disney prices. I hate, with a passion, any resort fees, and I really wish that they were banned, but they only impact those that don't pay attention. At lease SDR doesn't try to hide them completely like some places have done in the past.

What they really need to do is actually ADD value to the resort fee, nothing they list isn't something that everyone else gets. The WiFi is nothing but a joke, it's all the same Wifi, extra points? Give me a break! 125 points is an insult.

Would the price hike keep me from going? Probably not, unless the Disney prices magically drop. Reality is that all the things Disney has done in the past couple years are the reason we haven't been back and don't have plan. We'll just keep enjoying Hawaii for now ;)

they only impact those that don't pay attention.
I agree with this for the fact that the fees exist but to raise them on people that already have made reservations at the lower rate is where my main issue lies. I know it is in the fine print when you reserve that they can raise them at any time but that still doesn’t make it right.

the bottom line price continues to beat Disney prices.
Also agree with this. When i saw they raised my fee on my reservation after the fact my first reaction was to see what Disney was charging for their EPCOT area resorts. They are over $1000 more for my 7 day stay and that is with a Pass-holder discount. So I am still getting a way better deal for the location I want vs Disney prices even with the $5 per day more for the fee.

I hate, with a passion, any resort fees, and I really wish that they were banned,
I fully agree with this as well. I think it is kind of a nebulous way they can increase the price without it being clear and transparent to the customer.

I guess it is not any different than the shrink packaging that is going on with food lately so they are certainly not alone in doing this kind of thing. Disney themselves seem to be the King of finding ways to have people pay more for less so not really unexpected but still disappointing.

I agree with this for the fact that the fees exist but to raise them on people that already have made reservations at the lower rate is where my main issue lies. I know it is in the fine print when you reserve that they can raise them at any time but that still doesn’t make it right.

Also agree with this. When i saw they raised my fee on my reservation after the fact my first reaction was to see what Disney was charging for their EPCOT area resorts. They are over $1000 more for my 7 day stay and that is with a Pass-holder discount. So I am still getting a way better deal for the location I want vs Disney prices even with the $5 per day more for the fee.

I fully agree with this as well. I think it is kind of a nebulous way they can increase the price without it being clear and transparent to the customer.

I guess it is not any different than the shrink packaging that is going on with food lately so they are certainly not alone in doing this kind of thing. Disney themselves seem to be the King of finding ways to have people pay more for less so not really unexpected but still disappointing.

I also wish the fee was just incorporated in the room rate, with ALL hotels and resorts. Also a degradation in what is included for the fee.

The resort service fee at the Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin Resort is $35 +tax. The service fee includes:

• Unlimited access to the resort’s health club facilities including 24 hour access to Dolphin Health Club
  • Unlimited domestic, long distance, and local calls
  • 2 bottles of water refreshed daily
  • In-room enhanced high speed wireless internet access
  • Complimentary daily scheduled fitness classes
  • Complimentary daily scheduled recreational resort and pool activities
  • $30 off spa services of $175 or more during each day of your visit at Mandara Spa
  • Complimentary Swan Paddle Boat rentals
  • Complimentary S'mores Fun Kit each day of your stay to be used at our evening Campfire & S'mores event
Now increasing to $40 plus tax daily resort fee July 5, 2022

I also wish the fee was just incorporated in the room rate, with ALL hotels and resorts. Also a degradation in what is included for the fee.

The resort service fee at the Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin Resort is $35 +tax. The service fee includes:

• Unlimited access to the resort’s health club facilities including 24 hour access to Dolphin Health Club
  • Unlimited domestic, long distance, and local calls
  • 2 bottles of water refreshed daily
  • In-room enhanced high speed wireless internet access
  • Complimentary daily scheduled fitness classes
  • Complimentary daily scheduled recreational resort and pool activities
  • $30 off spa services of $175 or more during each day of your visit at Mandara Spa
  • Complimentary Swan Paddle Boat rentals
  • Complimentary S'mores Fun Kit each day of your stay to be used at our evening Campfire & S'mores event
Now increasing to $40 plus tax daily resort fee July 5, 2022

So they are raising the fee and taking away the only thing we used from it (the 2 bottles of water). Well that’s just even better.😡

My reservation details in the Bonvoy app for my trip in August are now reflecting a higher charge due to the increase in fees than my reservation email from when I booked in May. So yes it appears they do plan to charge the higher fee regardless of booking confirmation
:wave:

I really think increasing a hotel fee on an existing reservation is not a good business practice, even if only $5 a day. An increase due to change in taxes or government fees is a different story, but should not be affected by hotel/resort fees. Just my opinion.

In any case, Heather, have a great trip.

Totally agree on this. They should just set the nightly rate at the level they want and leave it at that or make the fee optional and if you don’t want to use those things then you don’t pay it. It is kind of misleading doing it the way they do. The afact they can raise it on you after the fact, long after you have made a reservation is really not so legit either in my mind.

In theory based on this they could decide to raise it a couple days before someone is due to arrive and then what choice will the person have. They will be inside the 5 day cancellation policy so if they cancel they they will be charged a night. All in all I just don’t feel it is the most transparent way to go with things.
We are staying at Swan for 11 days in August and now my resort fee just went up $55.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter