Walt Disney World SWAN, DOLPHIN & SWAN RESERVE RESORTS Information & Questions

Has anyone tried to rideshare to the Contemporary Resort and using the walking path to MK as an alternate way of getting there since COVID? I was also considering this option, but not sure if they were letting people in there without a dining reservation at that resort.

There have been many posts about this in other threads. What I have read is that the guard at the Contemporary guard shack will not let people through unless they have a dining reservation. People tried to get around that by doing mobile order for the Contempo Cafe. Disney responded by restricting mobile order at the Contempo Cafe to only people who are staying at the Contemporary. (Same thing at the Grand Floridian.) In contrast, at least one person posted recently that they were dropped off numerous times at the Contemporary so that they could walk to MK, and they had no problem. I have not tried this myself, so I cannot speak from personal experience.

Yes, ignore it! I almost cancelled Dolphin b/c of reading TripAdvisor before my trip. We just got back Tuesday and it was great! I am a bit of a hotel snob too. At WDW, YC/BC are my favorites with BW a close 3rd. However, after this trip, and the HUGE savings I got at Dolphin with the AP rate, plus my plat status getting me some perks, I will definitely be returning to Swolphin over the Disney deluxe resorts. (I also stayed at HBC in March and LOVED it too!) After refusing to stay at non-Disney resorts for the last 15 years, I am so glad I have branched out in 2021 and realize now I was being ripped off all along.
The room at Dolphin was great. They upgraded me to a resort view balcony from no view. Too bad no Epcot nighttime show b/c I would've had a great view. I got $20/day for breakfast due to status. If you aren't a fan of masks, you will be especially happy at Dolphin. The pool area was really pretty but crowded and I couldn't sit down and see my daughter swimming or doing the slide, so I did spend a lot of time standing to be able to watch her. There are a lot of food options too. I had zero complaints other than the resort fee and parking is a ripoff, but that is just what these places do these days.

ETA: actually I do have one complaint...the MK bus situation is AWFUL. Just walk over to BW and get on theirs.
Thank you so much! I am feeling so much better about the Dolphin! I am glad you had such a good trip.

Last edited:
There have been many posts about this in other threads. What I have read is that the guard at the Contemporary guard shack will not let people through unless they have a dining reservation. People tried to get around that by doing mobile order for the Contempo Cafe. Disney responded by restricting mobile order at the Contempo Cafe to only people who are staying at the Contemporary. (Same thing at the Grand Floridian.) In contrast, at least one person posted recently that they were dropped off numerous times at the Contemporary so that they could walk to MK, and they had no problem. I have not tried this myself, so I cannot speak from personal experience.
I am curious as to what method the guard uses to check for a dining reservation there. I think my photoshop skills are good enough to "make" a reservation. However, if he checks it electronically it obviously wouldn't work.

I am curious as to what method the guard uses to check for a dining reservation there.
It depends on the CM, time of day and number of cars waiting behind you. Most will scan your MB or ask for photo ID and look up your reservation in the computer. They know all the tricks especially if you are arriving via Uber / Lyft.

If you want to show your smartphone with a photoshop image be prepared to slip a $20 with it.

Dave

Has anyone golfed at Disney while staying at dolphin? What type of transportation did you use. I see Disney has complementary taxis for those staying onsite. Does this apply to the dolphin? If not what is the best type of transportation?

@Luvdancink hopefully somebody chimes in here, but a call might be faster. I am not sure if the transportation is provided by S/D or by Disney. My gut is that its a Mears taxi in either case. What's not clear now is the previous page on the S/D golf page mentioned transportation, but now it just says "Disney golf will extend to you the following benefits:" and no list of benefits. This blog post is from 2018 it shows a Mears van, but I am not finding anything current showing they are still providing transportation. A call to 407-WDW-GOLF might answer all the questions the fastest.

What is the difference between the:
  • Dolphin Alcove, Larger Guest room, 1 King, Sofa bed, and the
  • Dolphin 1 King Premium Deluxe, sofa bed
and which would be better for a family of 5 (me, DH, sons 12, 10, 10)?

It seems like the King premium has more privacy between the king bed and the sofa bed, is this true? When the sofa bed is pulled out is there enough room on the rest of the sofa sectional for the 3rd boy to sleep? Is a rollaway necessary or has anyone made a 3rd bed from the sofa cushions? (My boys aren't picky sleepers).

While staying at the Swan next month, which Disney hotel would be closest to use their shuttle to the parks?
We were there May 7-9 and only walked to the BW on our MK day. We used the Swalphin buses and boats all other days and found them to be very efficient.
On May 8 we got to the bus stop around 8am, posted time for the MK bus was 8:14, there was barely anyone in line. The estimate went up to 8:19 but the bus ultimately showed up at 8:14. My first picture in the HUB was at 8:35.

Has anyone golfed at Disney while staying at dolphin? What type of transportation did you use. I see Disney has complementary taxis for those staying onsite. Does this apply to the dolphin? If not what is the best type of transportation?

I asked this same question not too long ago, but I'm not finding the posts. Anyway, the conclusion @SteveH provided is the same one that I received: complimentary transportation is not provided to Disney golf courses from the Swan or Dolphin.

We ultimately decided to rent a car for our trip, so if you have one, then that is obviously the best way to get to a course. If not, I would think that Uber/Lyft would be the way to go.

I asked this same question not too long ago, but I'm not finding the posts. Anyway, the conclusion @SteveH provided is the same one that I received: complimentary transportation is not provided to Disney golf courses from the Swan or Dolphin.

We ultimately decided to rent a car for our trip, so if you have one, then that is obviously the best way to get to a course. If not, I would think that Uber/Lyft would be the way to go.
That’s helpful. Thanks. Im sure they can uber. I just want to make sure they don’t miss their early tee time (and if they can get the vouchers for free, worth asking). Golf is a new experience for us so I want to make sure they aren’t missing anything.

That’s helpful. Thanks. Im sure they can uber. I just want to make sure they don’t miss their early tee time (and if they can get the vouchers for free, worth asking). Golf is a new experience for us so I want to make sure they aren’t missing anything.

Golf is a lot of fun... but Florida, even early tee times in summer months can make it hard to get through 18 holes. Not sure when you are going... but pack lots of water and sun screen.

Does anyone know if Mandara offers an AP discount? I booked myself an appointment there since Senses is still closed and I couldn't manage to get a cabana for my rest day at YC.

Does anyone know if Mandara offers an AP discount? I booked myself an appointment there since Senses is still closed and I couldn't manage to get a cabana for my rest day at YC.
I'm not aware of an AP discount but as part of the resort fee, there should be a $30 discount on services if spending at least $175.

I don't see it listed now, maybe it is gone? Best to make a phone call to verify.

https://swandolphin.com/feedback/reserve/
DVC members also should have a discount.

https://disneyvacationclub.disney.g...-relaxation/discount-mandara-spa-disneyworld/

@stephnerninnie1984 you must be at the Dolphin? That is one of the pluses of the Swan two sinks; in on the shower/toilet and the other by the closet. I will say many hotels like S/D have a constant draw fan in the bathroom, but not something you need to switch on/off but also doesn't cover up bathroom sounds either. Have a great trip!

We were at the Swan. Other then the bathroom situation which I still find VERY odd, (seriously? Why are BOTH sinks behind the door??) we had a really good time and I have no other complaints. The pool area was full by 10:45 when we got there Saturday morning but found a few loungers on the beach area close to the pool. The line for drinks at The pool bar was looooooong but it didn’t really bother me. The guy behind me whined the whole time though. The bed was super comfy and the view was nice. We were on the 11th floor East so looking out onto the Swan parking lot. They’ve started back with mobile in room dining so we had breakfast in bed one morning which was beautiful! We never rode any of the buses because MK was our check out day so we just drove over there. Otherwise we walked where we needed to go. It was overall a great stay.

We have been at Dolphin since Saturday. We checked in early but our room wasn't ready until 3:30 pm which I understand as our room type is the Grand Suite with double beds. There are only a few. Both the parlor and the bedroom are really clean. There are four of us traveling so having two bathrooms in the morning is a wonderful add-on. The housekeeping to bring water/ coffee/ extra blankets was fast and cordial. We took a pool break today (Monday) around one. I could see lots of fences and construction going on from the Swan side of the pool. However, as we are on the west wing, we walked out from the door near the Picabu/ Gym. There were lots of chairs near the edge of the pools with trees providing the shades.

We also ate at The Fountain and their burgers and onion rings were excellent. The Fuel is very convenient but forms a pretty long line around 8 am ~9 am so plan accordingly.

I haven't used the bus and probably not use them as we rented a car. We actually drove to AK this morning around 6:50 and the security guards won't let the lines form having cones set up at the fork into AK parking lot. We briefly parked on the side of the roads with the emergency lights on for about 10 minutes before the guards removed the cones and let the cars approach the parking toll booth.

I'll try to update more later.

Thanks @stephnerninnie1984 - another poster said some Swan rooms were like that too, but its so strange - that's one of the selling point for the Swan was the separation of the sinks. Very odd.

Glad you had a great rest of your trip and thanks for the update

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter