Walt Disney World SWAN, DOLPHIN & SWAN RESERVE RESORTS Information & Questions

I read this report on the Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates thread:
That report is about buses from DHS, and DHS and Epcot have been Mears buses since they reopened because Swalphin has never had DHS or Epcot bus service, and the Friendship boats aren't running right now.

I posted part of this in response to the other thread by ... @scrappinginontario we don't know for sure if they will be using individual buses for the Swan & Dolphin but as indicated above to previous model was Swan first and then Dolphin.

Today's change is to switch to all Mears bus service to all 4 parks. The Swan & Dolphin app also indicates that the buses will begin 45 min before each Park opening and end at 45 min after Park closing.

Dave

I guess time will tell on the bus changes. Is this short term or permanent? My guess is that Disney raised the prices for S/D to use the Disney fleet enough that Mears made financial sense. Still unsure how often the buses will be running. I can't fault Disney or S/D - they are both, like many other businesses, fighting to remain open and breaking even, if not turning a profit. As often said, "Change is inevitable... it's the direction that counts."

If the Mears bus schedule from the Bonnet Creek Hilton and Waldorf to the parks is any indication of what to expect at the Swan/Dolphin, the frequency is greatly reduced from Disney’s motorcoach transportation.

05A74223-A8BC-40BE-A317-1560775EA747.jpeg

I guess time will tell on the bus changes. Is this short term or permanent? My guess is that Disney raised the prices for S/D to use the Disney fleet enough that Mears made financial sense. Still unsure how often the buses will be running. I can't fault Disney or S/D - they are both, like many other businesses, fighting to remain open and breaking even, if not turning a profit. As often said, "Change is inevitable... it's the direction that counts."

If you are struggling as a business, why would you make things harder on the guests that are already coming and spending money? Would you not want to entice more guests to come, not upset them and make things harder?

Although the expectation with most changes these days is less customer service, I'll wait until we get some first hand information about the buses before commenting....

If the new pickup spot at MK is at the ticket and transportation center, that seems like a deliberate attempt to make it inconvenient for S&D guests. I can understand having them hire their own busses, but the stops were already in place at MK. Wonder if this is an attempt to get people to book at the Disney Epcot resorts?

If the new pickup spot at MK is at the ticket and transportation center, that seems like a deliberate attempt to make it inconvenient for S&D guests. I can understand having them hire their own busses, but the stops were already in place at MK. Wonder if this is an attempt to get people to book at the Disney Epcot resorts?

That is what I am thinking too. But I will still book the Swan or Dolphin and just rent a car.

With very competitive room rates and discounts, lately, at the Swan and Dolphin, I am sure that Disney has been losing some business, at their properties, to the Swan and Dolphin. Disney’s room rates, especially at the Deluxe resorts, have always been so out of line, with others. As the perks and amenities keep being whittled away, there are fewer reasons to justify those rates. I wonder if we will start seeing some “Good Neighbor” benefits being removed by Disney.

If the Mears bus schedule from the Bonnet Creek Hilton and Waldorf to the parks is any indication of what to expect at the Swan/Dolphin, the frequency is greatly reduced from Disney’s motorcoach transportation.

View attachment 532402

This was my concern, too. We stayed at the Disney Springs Holiday Inn last year and the Mears shuttles for each park were very infrequent. I wondered if this type of schedule would apply to Swan/Dolphin now. On the bright side, with S/D we can just grab a bus to/from Boardwalk/Yacht/Beach if we need to.

The Swan & Dolphin app states the buses will pick up from the Swan & Dolphin every 20-30 minutes from the front of the resorts.

Dave

Do not believe that in August the Studios bus ran every 45 minutes. We asked a driver and they would not tell us when they were coming and going.

This update was added yesterday when the Mears buses to all 4 Parks was announced.

Back in August they were looping buses for DHS and Epcot vs having dedicated buses to each park due to the low occupancy rates.

Dave

This whole bus business leaves a bad taste in my mouth. They really need to get the WDW buses back and/or get the friendship boats going again. That would help with at least 2 parks!

@hedberg1661 I agree as I miss the Friendships and we don't know the details on the Mears bus switch. Is it a temporary measure or permanent?

The BWI and BC are still closed and the Dolphin is not 100% open and there is no park hopping and then there is the limited occupancey for the friendships due to social distancing.

Dave

WDWMagic now reporting that the Mears buses are in fact using the charter bus stops at all of the parks. Pickup/dropoff at the TTC for MK.

https://www.wdwmagic.com/resorts/wa...owing-yesterdays-switch-to-mears-shuttles.htm
Seems like a big devaluation of the benefits to staying there.
It may be as simple as the Mears buses are very tall motor coaches with the luggage areas below and may not fix under the resort loop roof overhang while the normal Disney buses are the low People mover types with no lower storage areas.

Don't the Disney Cruise buses arrive at the resorts using the furthest lanes from the Porte cochère (covered driveways)?

Dave

If you are struggling as a business, why would you make things harder on the guests that are already coming and spending money? Would you not want to entice more guests to come, not upset them and make things harder?
I don't think it's that easy there are a lot of factors at play. I think they are trying to keep their costs down. In this case I think Disney is forcing their hand.
WDWMagic now reporting that the Mears buses are in fact using the charter bus stops at all of the parks...
Seems like a big devaluation of the benefits to staying there.
This totally sounds like Disney forcing S/D's hand; either jacking up the bus rates dramatically or just dropping service.

I wonder if we will start seeing some “Good Neighbor” benefits being removed by Disney.
I had made a comment back in March about this too, though Disney needs those hotels when things are good. But right now, those benefits would be easy for them to do away with. But I am sure there are contracts in place too.

I don't see this changing back to Disney buses for a while and I don't see the Friendship boat service coming back soon either. I don't want to think Disney is deliberately trying to punish S/D but I think this is part of the cuts they need to make on their end to take care of their core business model.

With very competitive room rates and discounts, lately, at the Swan and Dolphin, I am sure that Disney has been losing some business, at their properties, to the Swan and Dolphin. Disney’s room rates, especially at the Deluxe resorts, have always been so out of line, with others. As the perks and amenities keep being whittled away, there are fewer reasons to justify those rates. I wonder if we will start seeing some “Good Neighbor” benefits being removed by Disney.
Swalphin is more than a Good Neighbor resort, though. It was commissioned and designed by Disney, and Disney gets a percentage of the revenue. I'm not saying they couldn't be trying to drive business to the wholly Disney-owned resorts right now, but once things return to normal, Disney has at least somewhat of a vested interest in the Swalphin's success, so I don't see them permanently removing benefits.

Swalphin is more than a Good Neighbor resort, though. It was commissioned and designed by Disney, and Disney gets a percentage of the revenue. I'm not saying they couldn't be trying to drive business to the wholly Disney-owned resorts right now, but once things return to normal, Disney has at least somewhat of a vested interest in the Swalphin's success, so I don't see them permanently removing benefits.
Yup, I am aware of the business relationship and have posted about it in the past. Disney owns just the land which is leased to Tishman and MetLife, under a long term lease; I don't think many of us will still be around for the end of the lease, which runs until about 2089.

To clarify what I posted, my thoughts about the "Good Neighbor" properties concerned their perks, many of which have not been in place all that long. In this climate, I believe that Disney will try to do whatever it has to to retain their share of the accommodations market.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter