Walt Disney World SWAN, DOLPHIN & SWAN RESERVE RESORTS Information & Questions

Hi! I’m seriously considering the S/D for December and I have a quick question. Can I link a reservation made on Expedia to MDE so I can have FP+ at 60 days?
Yup! You may have to call the hotel to get a different confirmation number though.

Mrsdaly - thank you much! I have bus-a-phobia I guess. Always avoided them at WDW, perhaps irrationally. It may be the waiting - don't know. Maybe you're right. We're in the same situation - grandkids are 2 and 4 and my son/DIL are either taking two strollers or using their double (not sure).

We are kind of set on the monorail idea only because it in effect is another attraction for them. So I do think we will go that route the last day (this would be leaving the Dolphin about 3:30-4:00 PM, trying to make it back to Epcot by 8:00PM for Illuminations at 9:00 - we won't at all be picky about where we see it from - in fact the closer to the international gateway the better, even though we'll miss a lot of what happens on the water. We had a spectacular viewpoint one Christmas that to this day - even as I type this - sends a warm feeling throughout. I can't ever imagine topping that - but seeing my grand-girls reaction to the countries lighting up and the lasers etc may well match that.)

We've always driven to MK from the S/D, or Y&BC (we've had 5 WDW trips where we stayed at one of these). We used to drive to GF and take the monrail - before they got strict about parking for non-resort guests there. You are right - the parking lot at MK is a much longer trip (talking two cars, park, get everyone together, tram to the ferry or monorail etc.)

But for the other two trips to MK that we will do in the morning, I think I may try the bus route once.

(The Dolphin is the last resort stop? OK - so it's an express to MK, but potentially full too, right? And then going back, is it the LAST resort stop. I know I could look it up - and I will, Just thinking out loud.)

In comparison to other resorts, I found the buses at the Dolphin to be the least crowded. I have never had to wait for a second bus. I have even gotten on a bus after MK fireworks with 10 people on it, which has never happened with any other resort. As you know it leans more toward convention goers and not park attendees. Dolphin is the "last stop" but from MK I have only had two stops - the Swan & then the Dolphin. From AK we've stopped at Beach Club & Boardwalk, but not from MK. Could have just been my experience though. Last time when we went to MK, we were the only ones on the bus going there in the evening. And it was a heavy crowd day for MK. If you are going there around 3 pm I honestly think you'll have no issues at all getting on the bus. I also am not picky about my Illuminations viewing area. I've really never had a bad view.

I've never seen a chart, you can find the rack rates on spg.com but with all the various discounts, options and changing seasons it would be out dated as soon as it came out.

Yeah I understand, I was just trying to figure out if there was a way to know which months are cheap vs average vs expensive all things considered equal. It's not biggie I'm planning for 2020 cause it's fun for me.

Take a deep breath and relax. Grab a cup of coffee and sweet roll just before Canada and head on over to FW. If you head right there, you will probably meet the front entrance folks just as you get to a ride. They have no real advantage. I would do IG any day rather than the front.
I LOVE staying at the Swan and entering Epcot through the International Gateway! I have cut back on my WDW trips, so I'm really looking forward to staying there 2 nights each before and after a cruise in late November/early December. Any chance you'll be at WDW in early December, Dan?

I LOVE staying at the Swan and entering Epcot through the International Gateway! I have cut back on my WDW trips, so I'm really looking forward to staying there 2 nights each before and after a cruise in late November/early December. Any chance you'll be at WDW in early December, Dan?
Hey Nancy, have not seen you in ages. :faint: :wave: Great to see you. :wave2:

At the moment, no plans for early December trip, but, you never know. I would love to be there at the Lemonade Stand, but nothing in the works currently. Have a great holiday weekend.

And again, great to see you. :goodvibes

I woke up in my bed this morning and wished I were still at the Swan. I love, love, love it there.

We did a pool day on Wednesday since it was the first fully sunny day of our trip. We got lunch from the Taqueria. I got my usual bowl, and my nephew got two orders of tacos to split among his little family. You get three tacos in an order and they gladly vary the fillings and toppings of the three. I learned about the “Salsa Corner” where you can help yourself to all kinds of freshly made sauces.

Later on, four of us each got a pina colada with a rum floater from the Cabanas bar. I raved about this drink and it redeemed my reputation after my recommending the too-sweet Lapu Lapu at Ohana.

We also discovered that you can get pizza from Picabu 24 hours. The food, service and prices are all pretty good there, but I wish it had more variety. Rotisserie chicken is available every day and there is also another chicken preparation of the day—so like fried or barbecue chicken. I would prefer to see something besides a second chicken choice. The sides they serve with the chicken are delicious—roasted cauliflower, collard greens and baked mac & cheese.

Where is this, Janice?

I like the creamed spinach also. I know some can't stand it, but I do like it.

I believe she's referring to the "Taqueria" portion of Picabu, Dan. That salsa bar (at the back of the seating area) is great addition. We love the burritos there and load them up with fillings as well. One will serve the two of us. We grabbed two burritos while down there a week ago and shared it between three of us--stuffed!

I believe she's referring to the "Taqueria" portion of Picabu, Dan. That salsa bar (at the back of the seating area) is great addition. We love the burritos there and load them up with fillings as well. One will serve the two of us. We grabbed two burritos while down there a week ago and shared it between three of us--stuffed!

Nice. I learn something new here all the time. Never heard of it. Will have to try it next visit. Thanks Tess.

Where is this, Janice?

Like @Tess said, the Taqueria is in the middle of the food line at Picabu.

You can get tacos, a burrito or a bowl. They have chicken, steak, pork or fish and all kinds of toppings, cheese, guacamole, pickled onions (we liked those), etc. The black beans are made fresh every morning, and while they’ll add pico de gallo or salsa verde, I recommend hitting the salsa corner for your sauces.

I like the creamed spinach also. I know some can't stand it, but I do like it.

I love creamed spinach, but I didn’t see it there. Maybe they swap them out seasonally.

We dined at Garden Grove last Saturday, and it was excellent. The crab legs were outstanding: big, meaty and easy to clean.

They changed the fried seafood basket a bit. It now comes out on a tray with tartar sauce, lemons and packets of malt vinegar. We got fish & chips, fried shrimp & calamari and clam strips. No more hush puppies; it had cheddar biscuits instead.

One of my nephews had a thing about fish & chips this trip. He also got them at the stand in Epcot and at Bluezoo’s Happy Hour. Surprisingly, he said the fish at GG was the best of all.

Things that I liked on the buffet included mussels in spicy red sauce, salmon in a lemon sauce over pearl pasta, strip loin beef, fresh green beans and their super delicious, buttery mashed potatoes. Too bad they’re so filling. I love mashed potatoes, and theirs are crazy good.

The dessert selections were totally outstanding. I had a lemon meringue cupcake and a chocolate tart; both were awesome. My sister-in-law got a tiny banana cream pie that she said was to-die-for, but I could not eat another thing at that point.

Only Pluto and Goofy were there even though it was Saturday night. The server said they couldn’t get Chip & Dale because of all the rain.

The Seafood Sensation buffet is a hidden gem. My nephews have the kind of jobs where they get wined and dined at high end places, and even they were impressed and pleased with our meal there.

Like @Tess said, the Taqueria is in the middle of the food line at Picabu.

You can get tacos, a burrito or a bowl. They have chicken, steak, pork or fish and all kinds of toppings, cheese, guacamole, pickled onions (we liked those), etc. The black beans are made fresh every morning, and while they’ll add pico de gallo or salsa verde, I recommend hitting the salsa corner for your sauces.
Sounds great. I wonder if that is new, or if I just have not noticed it before.

We got back last night from 8 days at the Swan. It was our first time at the S&D. We had a wonderful time. We loved the location.

It would have been perfect if the Friendship boat dock was open. It looks like they are almost finished renovating it. I wouldn't be surprised if they if they open it for trips to EPCOT only today or tomorrow. It won't be going to the Studios for a month or more. Evidently the hurricane damaged the facade of the bridge that the boat needs to travel under to get to DHS.

And my last dining experiences to report were drinks at Phins and Happy Hour at Bluezoo.

Phins is gorgeous. The chandelier is dazzling. Because it reflects so many prisms of lights, photos do not do it justice. We took the babies over there after dinner at the Garden Grove as my nephew thought a band might be playing since that’s what he saw in December. But there was no band and the girls were noisy and restless, so we had only one round.

My last night there, we went to Bluezoo’s Happy Hour. We had a big lunch from the Picabu’s Taqueria, but wanted a small meal before we headed out to AK. From the HH menu, SIL and I ordered the Zooberry cocktail, nephew got a smoking sangria and niece got a Phins and Feathers beer. The Zooberry drink was a martini and was tasty with fresh, authentic blueberry and lemon flavors. We both really liked the way it tasted, but it’s a sweet almost syrupy drink, so one was enough. The smoking sangria was cool to look at with liquid nitrogen providing the smoke, but it was also very sweet. We all got beers on the second round.

We ordered everything on the HH food menu except the flatbread because we had eaten a lot of late night pizza ordered from Flippers and Picabu. We got crab nachos, tempura green beans, fried calamari and fish & chips. I didn’t realize that the calamari included fried pickles, and I thought for a second that they had served frog. LOL! The truffle aioli that came with the green beans was delicious! My niece was crazy about the crab nachos so we got another order of it.

The restaurant itself is gorgeous. Our only criticism is that it would have been better if they offered less fried options and included sliders or something else that wasn’t fried. Beyond that, it was a nice option for a light dinner.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter