Walt Disney World Skyliner Gondola cabin video from transportation forum.

Discussion in 'disABILITIES!' started by RaySharpton, Feb 23, 2019.

1. RaySharpton

RaySharpton Retired and going to Disney.

Hi, Weedy. Thank you for the photo. That is one thing that I will enjoy is visiting the two other resorts using the monorail instead of having to transfer via a bus.

Weedy likes this.
  2. DisneyOma

DisneyOma DIS Veteran

They were videos of WDW gondolas in action. Even the last video posted here says "there's a little kick from it" and you can see a tip in the angle when one approaches the loading area/turn.

snappy and RaySharpton like this.
  3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. lanejudy

lanejudy Moderator Moderator

WDW is testing the gondolas at various speeds -- likely both faster and slower than what will be the "usual" speed. One video RaySharpton posted shows both a fast run with considerably swing at the beginning of the video and then towards the end of the same video is an obviously much slower run with very little if any swing noticeable. I don't know that we can rely on videos of the test runs to be indicative of swing during actual use with guests. There is also recent discussion taking place on the Rumors & News board that gets into the mathematics of calculating the estimated swing. General consensus seems to be the amount of swing felt in the gondola car may be similar to an elevator.

5. SueM in MN

SueM in MN combining the teacups with a roller coaster Moderator

They are also testing things besides speed - like load and weight.

marcyleecorgan and lanejudy like this.
  6. mamabunny

mamabunny DIS Veteran

And the weight *distribution* within each gondola will presumably affect how much (if at all) it "tips".

7. RaySharpton

I saw another BlogMickey photo of the Pop Century Resort Skyliner Gondola Station with a photo looking head on into the station, but I can't determine if there is a second row in the rear like people have been mentioning for loading wheelchairs. These photos appeared 4/16/2019 and are recent.

http://blogmickey.com/2019/04/disney-skyliner-gondola-testing-over-hourglass-lake/

[​IMG]

Side view of the station with white walls blocking the view of where the second row may be located.

[​IMG]

Long distance photo of a head-on view of the gondola station view toward the bridge connecting Pop and Animator resorts. I see the two white walls on either side and behind the scaffolding two gondolas, but since it is head-on I can't tell if there is a second row.

[​IMG]

Side view of the station with a partial view of the white wall to the left. This is what most photos show. Maybe I can get a better view when I visit WDW in a few weeks.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Another head-on view toward the bridge connecting Pop and Animator resorts

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
    marcyleecorgan and Weedy like this.
  8. kaytieeldr

kaytieeldr Post hoc, ergo propter hoc

I don't see anywhere there could be an additional track. If you look at the heasld-on picture, therr are two cars on the left, one behind the other, with a gray or blue wall behind the second one, parallel to the white walls. It sort of looks like a bank of lockers (which I know it's not :)). To the right of that wall at the far end of the platform is another car. The area between each line and its adjacent white wall is the boarding queue.

RaySharpton likes this.
  9. RaySharpton

[​IMG]

I know, right. I couldn't tell either. But it is difficult to tell with a head-on view.

[​IMG]

I googled again and found this photo during construction before roofs and side were installed showing the gondola path.

It appears to have two sections. To the right of the yellow crane, I can see two curved paths. Maybe the first path is the regular path and the second is the second row where gondolas can be pulled off for wheelchairs, mobility scooters, and strollers.

I am looking at the little blue things along the gondola path.

This is just a guess on my part.

I don't know.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019 at 5:40 PM
  10. Weedy

Weedy DIS Veteran

11. RaySharpton

mamabunny likes this.
  12. Weedy

Weedy DIS Veteran

One annoying thing. The Orlando Sentinel site will only let you login their site 3 or 4 times a month and then it locks you out Grrrr.
    But you can go on a different device and see the article

RaySharpton likes this.
  13. RaySharpton

Thanks to Weedy and the Orlando Sentinal by Gabrielle RussonContact Reporter, today, Dean Huspen, a principal architect with Walt Disney Imagineering, announced that the Disney Skyliner Gondolas will be wheelchair accessible. See the video below to hear him.

http://pvp.trb.com/media/3690581442001/2019/04/3690581442001_6026820838001_6026802548001.mp4

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

SueM in MN and danikoski like this.
  14. Weedy

Weedy DIS Veteran

RaySharpton likes this.
  15. joelkfla

joelkfla DIS Veteran

The nearest gondola cabin is stopped at the bottom of the secondary loop. It is in the wheelchair boarding position. The direction of travel is left to right.

You can see just the edge of another cabin passing behind it on the main loop, partially obscured by a pillar. It is moving between the main unload area on the left and the main load area on the right.

The cabin on the right is in the main boarding area, moving away from the camera.

When loading of the cabin on the secondary loop is complete, it would advance 90 degrees and pause just short of the main loop, waiting for an opening to enter the main loop. It will move thru the main boarding area with its doors closed. At the same time, another cabin would take its place to be ready for the next wheelchair to load.

This video I shot at DHS shows cabins moving thru the secondary loop and rejoining the main line:

16. kaytieeldr

kaytieeldr Post hoc, ergo propter hoc

RaySharpton likes this.
  17. joelkfla

joelkfla DIS Veteran

Thanks, I appreciate it.

18. RaySharpton

19. RaySharpton

Hi, joelkfla. Thank you for the video. As far as I know this is the only video on the internet showing the second row.

It doesn't look like anyone is pushing it, so it must be electronically made to go to enter the second row and then back to the main line. Very cool.

I saw another video of a person pushing the gondola at the Caribbean Resort station.

Thank you.

20. joelkfla

joelkfla DIS Veteran

I know. It was something I wanted to see, and I couldn't find, so I went and made it myself. :) All the vloggers shoot "beauty" shots, but nobody covers the technical stuff that I find fascinating.
    Yes, apparently the drive wheels above the second loop are individually controlled. I believe they would have to be computer controlled to get the timing right of up to 3 cabins on the loop, and move them safely onto the main line.
    I haven't seen that, but it was probably moving a cabin around in the storage area. There don't appear to be drive wheels above the storage rails.

21. RaySharpton

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2019/...accessibility-and-seating-questions-answered/

The food blog also posted info on the Disney Skyliner Gondola from the Orlando Sentenial.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]