Walking Shoes for Parks

I went to a New Balance store where they were able to put my feet on one of their machines to see my pressure points on the bottom of my feet. I purchased a good pair of New Balance walking shoes and purchased some sole inserts for extra cushion on my pressure points and they felt sooo much better than last year. I also grease the bottom of my feet to reduce friction for blisters (worked like a charm).

I alternate between Skechers Go Walks and Teva sandals. I like the Tevas slightly more because they dry very quickly after getting wet.

I got fitted for a tennis shoes for plantar fasciitis last year and have a pair of Brooks shoes. I love these, even though I don't have PF anymore. They fit great and I can walk on them for a long time. While in WDW I alternate between Brooks and free Spirit tennis shoes. Works for me.

New Balances always treat my feet right. Whatever you choose, remember to break them in before you go to the parks.

I got fitted for a tennis shoes for plantar fasciitis last year and have a pair of Brooks shoes. I love these, even though I don't have PF anymore. They fit great and I can walk on them for a long time. While in WDW I alternate between Brooks and free Spirit tennis shoes. Works for me.

Any particular ones that were good for PF? Mine is getting better, but I am really worried about our trip!

Any particular ones that were good for PF? Mine is getting better, but I am really worried about our trip!
Honestly, I alternated between Brooks and Free Spirits. The Brooks have more support and are wider in the toe area. Can't go wrong with either. I had to use a wheelchair last year because of my PF, which was not fun but necessary. Just go slow and wear your comfy shoes and maybe use a w/c if you need one. Really, it was a great help in the parks.

I stick with New Balance in the park to keep the PF from flaring up, and Crocs Scutes (the extra cushioned soccer glides) for going to the resort pool.

I used to just wear any random pair of sandals or flip flops and I was fine all day in the parks. After kids I developed severe heel/arch pain from Plantar Fasciitis so now I have to have proper arch support in my shoes. Thankfully, I found Vionics makes sandals and flip flops with great support so I wear them everywhere including all day in the parks.

I have a wider foot and I find new balance to be the best brand for me. I go for one of their light running shoes and it's been a life changer with being on your feet all day. I also know the exact width of my foot so I'm not getting the wrong size and usually have to order them because 4E is not common in stores. (generally get them from amazon at a fair price). EDIT: once I got a 4d because I couldn't wait and it didn't take long until I understood that mistake. make sure you have a proper measurement of your foot, including width it makes all the difference.

I also highly highly highly recommend looking up on dr scholls website where the closest machine to find out the customized shoe inserts is located. Very easy to just pop out the insert that comes with the sneaker/shoe and put in the one they recommend you buy from them. Having the right firmness and padding for how you stand is also a life changer and they move from shoe to shoe so you can go as cheap as you want on sneakers and hte insert makes them the perfect shoe to stand around in. Also life changing and not just at disney.

EDIT TO ADD: I found with the proper sized shoe/width I don't need to break them in at all. breaking in period, I think, is a sign you have the wrong size.

Last edited:
I hear ya. My son is 4E for one foot, and 2E for the other. We have to buy two pairs just to get him one pair to wear. :(

Many brands actually has the ability to order customized shoes that lets you have mismatched sizes. I don't recall it being cheaper but It might cheaper than 2 pairs. check the website of the brand he likes.

Last edited:
Best thing to do is get fitted for a good pair of running/walking shoes at a reputable store. This way you will have shoes that fit and are correct for your walking gait. It will make all of the walking you do much more pleasurable.

I wore Teva sandals this September for 3 days straight and didn't get a single blister or sore foot!

Just back and this was the first trip wearing Keen sandals. My feet never hurt a bit and they were comfortable and cool. I also had plantar fasciitis and had no problems.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter