Walking Boot On Rides/In Parks

timandlesley

<font color=darkorchid>The tag fairy may not but t
I recently fractured my ankle and will be in a walking boot and on an ECV for our trip in two weeks. I like to ride ALL the rides (roller coasters, etc.) Can I wear the boot on ALL the rides, or are there some I can't? I can bring a shoe and my shoe splint and hobble into the lines but want to know what rides I need to do that for ahead of time. Any help VERY much appreciated Dis friends : )
-Lesley

The only ones I can think of off the top of my head are Kali River Rapids in AK and Splash Mnt in MK. The only reason I would change to there is to keep your boot from getting wet. I would imagine a soggy boot would be dreadful.

I have the same issue I will have a walking boot and will be there in 11 days. I think mine train might be a problem because people are telling me the lap bar might be in the way. Good luck

I have the same issue I will have a walking boot and will be there in 11 days. I think mine train might be a problem because people are telling me the lap bar might be in the way. Good luck

Well we will be there at the same time. Are you doing an ECV too? Hoping we get some 100% sure answers before we go.

I have my own ECV that we will be brining. On all except a few rides you ride the ECV all the way thru the line so it will cut down on the amount of walking you need to do. Some of the rides I am worried about are the ones that are hard to get out of like RNR and TT

I've had to use a walking boot at WDW a couple of times. Never kept me from going on anything. However, it did take me a little longer to get on and off some rides because it's awkward and bulky and sometimes hard to get your foot/leg in the right position once seated.
We did not ride Kali due to the colder weather but I could see where this one could pose a problem. Once that boot gets wet it takes forever to dry along with any clothing that's underneath it.

Some of the rides I am worried about are the ones that are hard to get out of like RNR and TT

RR actually has a car with a door that swings open so you don't have to climb over the side. I mentioned to the last CM before boarding, that I might need extra time to get in. They directed us through another door. We had to wait a few minutes to wait for that car. Then I had all the time I needed to board.

There's an elevator at TT, that will take you to an area to board, where you pretty much just step across instead of down into the car. You will return here to exit the ride also. I did take me a little longer to get back out but the CM was very patient and helpful. You just need to let the CM's know along the way and they will direct you where to go. You will need a CM in order to board the elevator.

I was in a walking boot in July (and will be next week) and I didn't have any problem with rides. I rode 7 Dwarfs a few times and didn't have any issue.

I was in a walking boot last May. I got a plastic bag from the gift shop and put it around my boot and stuffed the opening of the bag in the top of my boot so that it was sealed all around, if that makes sense. I did this for wet rides, and also when it rained! It kept my boot completely dry.

I would not recommend taking your boot off for rides because you could leave yourself open to re-injury, especially with all the moving, etc. I could wear my boot on every ride, no problem. Sometimes I would just sit and swing my legs over or use me arms to stabilize me, like getting onto RR.

Kali River Rapids was the hardest, not because of the water, but because you HAVE to walk a ways to the ride, and it's a turntable. When I went, I still had a lot of pain and swelling, so even though I had a boot, walking was still very difficult, especially with the heat, which added to the swelling. The line down to Kali does have railings, so I just mostly held onto those, and then my husband on the turntable. DON'T try the take off your boot for this ride. Hobbling down is too risky, especially when a plastic bag around the boot secured in the top of the boot will keep it dry.

Take your time and be careful on every ride. There is never any rush to get on a ride. CMs can slow things down if you need it.

I used a boot a few months ago and will be in a few weeks as well. It itself didn't keep me from doing anything, I already had diminished mobility, but the boot made it possible to walk w/ less pain.
Have fun.

Big Thunder Mountain RR has an ADA car where the side opens farther.
Picture039.jpg

TEST track has an alternate boarding area that was mentioned by another poster where you don't step down into the car.
It's actually at the seat belt check area and you get up there by using a small elevator and your ride car returns there for you to get out.
2590TT_alternate_boarding_3.JPG

this picture shows the area before the renovation, but the area is darker now and harder to get a picture. You don't step down, but need to swing your legs over the side (you can sit on the side of the car to do it) - kind of like getting into a high bathtub. Some people do find it easier to step in than go over the side.
If you want to practice, ask a CM to tell you where the practice car is.

I was in a walking boot last May. I got a plastic bag from the gift shop and put it around my boot and stuffed the opening of the bag in the top of my boot so that it was sealed all around, if that makes sense. I did this for wet rides, and also when it rained! It kept my boot completely dry.

I would not recommend taking your boot off for rides because you could leave yourself open to re-injury, especially with all the moving, etc. I could wear my boot on every ride, no problem. Sometimes I would just sit and swing my legs over or use me arms to stabilize me, like getting onto RR.

Kali River Rapids was the hardest, not because of the water, but because you HAVE to walk a ways to the ride, and it's a turntable. When I went, I still had a lot of pain and swelling, so even though I had a boot, walking was still very difficult, especially with the heat, which added to the swelling. The line down to Kali does have railings, so I just mostly held onto those, and then my husband on the turntable. DON'T try the take off your boot for this ride. Hobbling down is too risky, especially when a plastic bag around the boot secured in the top of the boot will keep it dry.

Take your time and be careful on every ride. There is never any rush to get on a ride. CMs can slow things down if you need it.
Kali River Rapids has an interesting alternate boarding area where guests board with as much time as they need without using the turntable.
Guests using wheelchairs will be routed there automatically. Other guests who need it should look for the wheelchair symbol or ask a CM.
2590P4200190.JPG

In the picture, the turntable boarding and unload area is toward the back right of the picture. Toward the left front of the picture, there is a bar across the water. When a raft comes into the area, the CM lowers the bar so the raft will flow in there. once it's in, the CMs trap the raft there by raising the bar again.
Guests can take as much time as they need to board, then the CM opens the gate again to let the raft float down the river.
For unloading, you stay in the raft past the regular unload area; the CM will trap the raft again for guests to get out.

Any attractions that are not accessible by ECV are wheelchair accessible and will have a wheelchair guests can use. The exceptions are things where guests must be ambulatory, including Tomorrowland Transit Authority, Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse and most of Tom Sawyer Island.

There are no restrictions at WDW regarding riding with a boot.

I for the life of me could not get into Space wearing my boot. I'm 6'1 200+, so it's a tight fit anyways, but I could not seem to get the right angle to get in and I just gave up rather than hold things up.

Disney is much better than Universal where there were a couple of rides the boot had to be totally removed.

When I was on a walking boot and crutches, I couldn't get up the steep speedramp to the Peoplemover. However,YMMV.

I did the people mover ramp buy I had to stand sideways and I felt like I might fall all the way up and all the way down

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter