Old Town Alexandria, VA
Key West, FL
Chatham, MA
Rockport, MA

Camden, Maine
Portsmouth, NH
Moab, Utah

Just a few. The list goes on and on...
LOL You got all the ones I was going to suggest. How about Mystic RI or Salem Ma

Albright-Knox! That and SUNY Buffalo are both in the Elmwood district I mentioned above, which is a quaint village with lots of shopping and dining. Sounds like you got to experience some nice things here!

LOL! Was it the Anchor Bar by chance? That's the "home" of the Buffalo wing, where it was invented, and is a very old building in rougher part of Main Street near downtown. If it wasn't Anchor Bar, chances are it was just a dive bar - those ones always have the best wings! LOL!
I'm really not sure but when I get in touch with my friend will ask. A mutual friend says the family is vacationing in the mountains of Croatia right now which doesn't have the best cell phone reception.

It's not touristy, but a college town. Pullman WA has a quaint downtown. Coffee shops, small restaurants, used book shop, bike store, etc. One block away is a paved walking path along a creek that flows year round. Honestly I miss having a walk able down town. Just across the state line is Moscow, Idaho and they have a nice downtown too.

If you want historical, then Columbia State Historic Park in Columbia, CA. Its a town closed to vehicles. Ice cream, candy shops, museums, bars, etc. Very cute.

San Luis Obsipo also has a nice downtown area. Plus there's the weekday farmers market.

Wow. Just looked up Pullman. Those green hills.

My brother just spent some time in Leavenworth Washington and it looked amazing, I want to take my husband for a long weekend!

i was going to suggest this-we go at least once a year. great walkable town-and things to do if so inclined-zip lines and white water rafting. if you go during the holidays it's stunning-looks like a christmas card with the lights, snow and the town square all done up. a great place to stay is 'bavarian lodge'-it's across the street from the heart of downtown so you can park upon check in and never have to drive again (VERY reasonable rates-FANTASTIC homemade breakfast included).

spokane has a number of walkable areas-riverfront park was recently renovated and there's allot of neat little shops and lots of foodie options within the vicinity. there's other neat places to visit and walk around-gonzaga's campus (and the bing crosby house), manito park. coeur d' alene is close enough for a day trip-VERY WALKABLE downtown (all little shops/eateries). further down the highway is wallace idaho 'the center of the universe' (look it up for the amusing history). we were there last week-lots of funky shops, restaurants-and you can take a trolley car ride around the town that is included with the silver mine tour (fascinating and fun). for someone into history/museums looking into these areas i would suggest checking out the cataldo mission (in between coeur d' alene and wallace)-fascinating history (make sure to watch the short video at the visitor's center to learn about the extensive history). for those into STUNNING natural beauty-take the silver mountain gondola ride in kellogg. STUNNING and the world's longest single cabin gondola ride at 3.1 miles (silver mountain resort is also a nice place to stay-nice indoor water park only available to guests of the resort).

As a Buffalonian, I will qualify this by saying that the Elmwood district of Buffalo offers what OP describes. Downtown Buffalo proper is still a work in progress ;)

I would add Canalside for something different than Elmwood Village, if OP likes things like the naval park, boat tours on the harbor, etc.

Fairhope, AL
Eureka Springs, AR
Hot Springs, AR
Bentonville , AR home of Crystal Bridges
Covington, LA

DH and I love towns like this as well.

Boone, NC
Blowing Rock, NC
Dahlonega, GA - in-laws currently live here & we visit several times a year. Hallmark recently filmed a Christmas movie there as well.
Charleston, SC
Highlands, NC
Lake Lure, NC - this is next on our weekend getaway list, as we’ve only driven through thus far

Shout out for Annapolis, Maryland. Cutest downtown in America. Standing at the top of Main Street and looking down at the Chesapeake Bay, ahhhhh. And if you like boats, oh my. A drinking town with a sailing problem. :boat:

I am fortunate to have homes in 3 that I really enjoy. Winter Park, Fla. St. Jacobs Ontario and Tobermory Ontario.
Go to Bar Habor once a year. Very nice.
St. Armands Fla 3 or 4 times a year.
Shady SIde, Pa
Squirrel Hill, Pa
Ligonier Pa
Strip District, Pittsburgh
Stone Harbor NJ
Elora Ontario
Mt Dora, Fla
St Aug, Fla
So many.

I would add Canalside for something different than Elmwood Village, if OP likes things like the naval park, boat tours on the harbor, etc.

Canalside is nice for the attractions you mention, but OP seems to be looking for a quaint walkable village with "fudge, ice cream shirts, t-shirt shops", etc. Canalside doesn't really fit that bill, IMO.

We absolutely love Galena, IL. Bonus, there are a ton of beautiful old bed and breakfasts to stay in. I want to go back in October, but my husband wants to try somewhere new. We're going to try St. Charles, Mo. We found a nice looking bed and breakfast on trip advisor and some fun things to do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter