Walk breaks during marathon

Maddykins06

Mouseketeer
This is new to me, so please bear with me.
Galloway's plan states for a training pace of 10 minute/mile, I should run for 3 minutes, then walk for one minute during the race. Is that correct?

So I don't even run a full mile without walking? This is just mind boggling to me, but I am very much a newbie.
Any hints on this, please? :confused3

Correct, with that plan you wont be running a mile straight. I've never done this type of plan so I can't really talk from experience. However some things to keep in mind:

1-The difference between running a 10 minute mile and briskly walking isnt as great as you would think (yes there is a difference and I dont mean anyone to take that line as an insult). A 10 minute mile is a 6 on a treadmill, a brisk walk (for me) is a 4-5.

2-He's assuming that you wont necessarily have hte pace control of someone who has run several marathons. Basically the walking breaks are going to keep you from overdoing it. 26.2 miles is quite a long way.

3-You're looking at spending over 4 hours to complete the race. Under most circumstances I dont like driving for 4 hours. By taking lots and lots of short walking breaks it will keep you from taking 1 really long walking break or deciding to walk off the course.

4-He is having you back off before you NEED to back off. Trust me after my first marathon, that first step after the finish line was a needed step. I can tell you with 100% certainty I couldnt run from a man with a gun at the finish line of that marathon. Nothing could ahve made me run another step. That is not the situation you want to be in when you're only 18 miles in. This will prevent that very well.

I've actually seen people do this in the 7 min/ mile group in half marathons, where they'd run fast for 1 mile, then walk for 30 seconds or so (usually timed to hit waterstops/etc). Then pick it up again. Seemed to work well for them. Dont know if I could do it.

Right, that's called the Galloway method. He has you walking one minute for ever 3 minutes of running. Or 4:1 or whatever interval you train at. But you never run without taking a walk break. It is just one method...it may or may not be the right one for you.

I saw lots of people doing this at the Princess this year. A timer would go off on their watch and they'd say to their friends, "let's go" or something to that effect. I saw this many many times.

I do 10 and 1s. It is very common to see in Canadian marathon/half-marathons (among those behind mid-pack). The Running Room, a large chain that offers running clinics, uses this method in the their training. In fact, there are usually pace-bunnies using the 10 and 1s - depending on the goal time, you often have two pace groups, one doing a straight run and one doing 10 and 1s.

As a courtesy, make sure you move over to one side before you start walking (and check that there is no one right behind you). I often stick up my hand before I start walking, but that is just a habit from being a pace-bunny and clinic leader - people who have been part of a clinic or led by a 10 and 1 pace-bunny would probably know what I meant, but I don't think others would (unless they were pacing near my time and saw it happening every 10 minutes).

I do 10 and 1s also. I'm also Canadian and it is very common at the marathons. I think I would find 3 and 1s too much starting and stopping. I usually run about a 10 min mile and most marathons have a water table at each mile. So instead of watching the time I walk through the aid stations, easier to drink the water that way too.

Yes, please pull to the side before you start walking. So annoying when the runner in front of you just slows down all of a sudden and you trip over them.

I just joined a Galloway training group this weekend, and saw the man himself give a seminar last weekend.

For 10 min mile, yes, you do 3:1. I am in the 13 min group, so we do 1:1.

It isn't so much for making you faster (although he claims it does), as to finish feeling great, and train injury-free. Because you are giving your "running muscles" rest, you can go further and maintain your pace for longer while not causing as much muscle fatigue (and therefore damage).

He also has a lot of other advice, like training 2 min slower than your race day pace. He has a "magic mile" formula to determine 5K, 10K, half, marathon pace. The magic mile is your 1-mile best, i.e. how fast you can go, pushing yourself, for 1 mile.

It was actually sort of freaky... I didn't know much about this program before the Princess, as I trained using a program that 3DisneyKids, who posted above, gave a bunch of us that were training for the Princess (thanks E!!). However, I used his calculator a month or two after the race, having stumbled upon his website. My 5K pace, which was my short run during the week, almost exactly predicted my half finish time using his formula.

I did not really use his methodology for the Princess half, because, well, I mostly walked it. :) I ran some, but not in any predictable intervals. I was just happy to finish well under the 3.5 hour sweeper time!!

This is new to me, so please bear with me.
Galloway's plan states for a training pace of 10 minute/mile, I should run for 3 minutes, then walk for one minute during the race. Is that correct?

So I don't even run a full mile without walking? This is just mind boggling to me, but I am very much a newbie.
Any hints on this, please? :confused3

What are you doing on your long runs? Are you doing run/walk intervals 3:1? I would race using whatever scheme you use on your long runs.

Personally, I ended up breaking up each 10 minute segment into 8:30 running and 1:30 walking. It was easy to remember when I got tired and I didn't want watch alarms going off all the time. I used that on my long runs up to 20 miles and then during the marathon. YMMV

I have been using Galloway run/walk for a year now and I cannot imagine running any other way. Being in my early 50's I need to be ever cautious of running injuries and this method does the trick! I am just now starting half marathon training for a HM this fall locally and the the 2011 Princess HM.

I have been using Galloway run/walk for a year now and I cannot imagine running any other way. Being in my early 50's I need to be ever cautious of running injuries and this method does the trick! I am just now starting half marathon training for a HM this fall locally and the the 2011 Princess HM.

I really love it so far.

I am doing the Princess as well, and the Chicago RnR in Aug, and then one here locally to NC in Nov.

Don't get hung up on the interval ratio. The most important thing that is easily over looked on race day is TAKE THE FIRST WALK BREAK. Jeff has been all over the place with the 'proper' ratio and the ratio you see today is only a suggestion. As a first time marathoner (or half) you may wnat to stick with his ratio but honestly if you are running a 10 minute pace you can take you breaks at anything from his 3:1 to 10:1. The secret is be consistent! If you train at 5:1 dont think 10:1 will work on race day. It may not.

Another thing to be aware of is that you need to keep a constant running pace. As a coach running with run/walk gorups I always have a handful of runners who will start the run interval at one pace then start to pick it up later in the interval...kind of like they are afraid of not making the end of the interval.

On race day please be considerate of your fellow runners and move out of the line of traffic as you slow for your walk. If that is not possible at least look back to make sure you do not have a shadow on your heals.

Jeff has revolutionized the running world with his run/walk program. It may feel wierd as your start out but you will find that many participants are using some form of the run/walk.

Coach, it is nice to meet you. I am an old DISer that has been gone for awhile, but decided I had better get back over here since I will be doing Princess 2011.

:wave:

Hmm.... I think something is a little screwy here in the math. I do about a 10:30 min/mile, and don't walk at ALL most miles. Maybe I'm just a really slow runner. :rotfl2:

Amy, it really does work! If I were to run straight through, I would run out of gas but with run/walk I am literally an Energizer Bunny. My longest run todate is 10 miles a month ago and could have gone further.

Amy, it really does work! If I were to run straight through, I would run out of gas but with run/walk I am literally an Energizer Bunny. My longest run todate is 10 miles a month ago and could have gone further.

If I stopped every three minutes to walk a minute, I might have better endurance than I do, but there's no way I'd be doing a 10 minute/mile.

You would be surprised. When you go into a walk, you don't lollygag becuase you are taking the walk at a brisk pace just enough to give the leg muscles a rest and get the heartrate down a tish. You are NOT going at a leisurely pace.

I guess we will just agree to disagree. All I know it works for me and whole group of runners out there.

If I stopped every three minutes to walk a minute, I might have better endurance than I do, but there's no way I'd be doing a 10 minute/mile.

Of course not - You are starting with a 10:30 pace! Though at a 10:30 pace you would still be on a 5 hour marathon or an 11:30 pace with a 3:1 r/w ratio. Though if you had the programmed walks in you would naturally carry a slightly faster run pace so that time would come down a bit. Or stretching the R/W interval out to 9:1 you would carry a 10:50 equivalent pace.

It's not for all but I do agree with Jeff in the fact that if you build it in at the start you will not be as fatigued and can carry your speed out a lot more miles with less chance of injury. Nothing worse than running a marathon and getting to mile 18 or so and need that first walk.....you will struggle to get your stride back after that

For the record I do both run straight through and run walk. I am not married to either style - just depends on the group I am coaching .

Of course not - You are starting with a 10:30 pace! Though at a 10:30 pace you would still be on a 5 hour marathon or an 11:30 pace with a 3:1 r/w ratio. Though if you had the programmed walks in you would naturally carry a slightly faster run pace so that time would come down a bit. Or stretching the R/W interval out to 9:1 you would carry a 10:50 equivalent pace.

It's not for all but I do agree with Jeff in the fact that if you build it in at the start you will not be as fatigued and can carry your speed out a lot more miles with less chance of injury. Nothing worse than running a marathon and getting to mile 18 or so and need that first walk.....you will struggle to get your stride back after that

For the record I do both run straight through and run walk. I am not married to either style - just depends on the group I am coaching .

Ah, okay, I understand. The way it was written here, it seemed that anyone could do a 10 minute mile using that method.

I definitely don't run 18 miles without a break. More like 2.

Ah, okay, I understand. The way it was written here, it seemed that anyone could do a 10 minute mile using that method.

I definitely don't run 18 miles without a break. More like 2.

I am a run/walker, and certainly am not in the 10 min mile group!

However, with a run/walk method, I am in a 12-13 min group. I can't run a whole mile straight yet (still working on it), but I have done 10+ in a 1:1 or 2:1 interval.

I am not sure I understand how this works. Or if it is for me.
I currently can RUN and hold a 10 minute mile for at least 5 miles. Not gone beyond that yet. I am interested in learning more about run/walk. I am not really comfortable running any faster than 6-6.5mph, how would this work for me?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter