Waldorf Astoria and Hilton Bonnet Creek has added resort fees :(

Chim

First WDW visit - 1982
Let me start off saying I love both properties. We are DVC members, but stay more at the Waldorf and Hilton since they opened.

I know it is the norm for Disney area resorts, but their whole selling and advertising point that they don't charge resort fees. Waldorf is $25 a night and Hilton $22. What really gets me is that they are marketing the fees include things like free breakfast at the Hilton for kids. It has always been that way. The main difference is that with the charge you now get the extra perks that were for Hilton Honors members, discounts at pro shop and spa and internet.

So, if you are planning on staying, budget in that extra $30-$50 bucks for fees and parking.

Just noticed this when I was checking Waldorf for a few extra days we were planning on staying in addition to our Poly stay. I will say it was disclosed in the reservation so no surprises.

I did not notice they were including internet for everyone as we usually get that with our Hilton Honors.

We've stayed at HBC twice on great introductory deals, but never onsite at Disney. Now that the rates have shot up at HBC, and resort fees are tacked on, is the value for money still there compared to Disney hotels? Of course, if you stay at HBC, you're looking at paying for parking there and at Disney.

Is there still good value to staying at HBC for a Disney holiday, or does that even make sense money wise anymore?

We've stayed at HBC twice on great introductory deals, but never onsite at Disney. Now that the rates have shot up at HBC, and resort fees are tacked on, is the value for money still there compared to Disney hotels? Of course, if you stay at HBC, you're looking at paying for parking there and at Disney.

Is there still good value to staying at HBC for a Disney holiday, or does that even make sense money wise anymore?

You have to do the math. Cost of HBC + resort fee + parking fee + Disney parking fee (if applicable).

Are you comparing the cost with a Disney deluxe hotel? HBC should cost more then a Disney value or even moderate.

There still may be value to people looking for a deluxe hotel or people able to use their Hilton points.

edited to add--I suspect one of the purposes of the resort fee is to get money from guests staying with Hilton points. Also a way to money from guests who "win" the hotel on Priceline. Guests who book conventionally just need to make sure they consider the extra fees when comparing prices.

This was one of the reason why I chose not to stay at HBC this time. I had a couple of days in Orlando before I checked into my resort. Once I saw that HBC has a resort fee of $22 and a parking fee, I booked at the Sheraton Lake Buena Vista. It used to be the Safari but has undergone extensive reservations and I highly recommend it now. Resort fee of $16.95 includes parking and wifi.

I'm HHonors Diamond, so I've been fairly loyal to the program, but these new fees are causing me to take my business elsewhere. The fee is "providing" things a Diamond already got for free, such as internet. If they want to raise prices, they should be upfront about it and wrap it into the room rate.

I will also take my business elsewhere until the resort fees are removed for Hilton HHonors Gold and Diamond members.

Gold and Diamond members are now paying extra for amenities that are normal complimentary benefits at Hilton and Waldorf hotels for having the two upper status tiers.

As a Hilton Gold, the internet and fitness center have been free when I stayed at either Hilton Bonnet Creek or Waldorf Astoria Orlando. I've always received the two complimentary drinks when staying at the Waldorf because I have Gold status. I do not have children, so the Kids Eat Free at Harvest Bistro does not benefit me. Since I do not have interest in golf, the access and equipment to golf driving facility and 20% off golf merchandise are not useful.

I am assuming the hotels are doing this so that their rates seem lower than what they really are. I find this shady and I don't respect any hotel that does it. I'm very disappointed in my two favorite hotels doing this. It's sad that I will now have to stay somewhere else when I go to WDW.

I'm also Hilton Diamond, and was planning to stay here possibly during an upcoming trip, but I'll have to think seriously about it. Like others have said, I'd be paying for stuff I should be getting for free anyhow!

You have to do the math. Cost of HBC + resort fee + parking fee + Disney parking fee (if applicable).

Are you comparing the cost with a Disney deluxe hotel? HBC should cost more then a Disney value or even moderate.

There still may be value to people looking for a deluxe hotel or people able to use their Hilton points.

edited to add--I suspect one of the purposes of the resort fee is to get money from guests staying with Hilton points. Also a way to money from guests who "win" the hotel on Priceline. Guests who book conventionally just need to make sure they consider the extra fees when comparing prices.

:beach: Anyone using Hilton Honors points does not pay the resort fee and ANY of the Hilton Properties. :beach:

This is a little disappointing, but won't keep me from staying at both hotels. We are also DVC, and still manage to work in a few stays at both of these hotels each year. Personally, I think they exceed the quality of Disney Deluxe by leaps and bounds - especially the Waldorf - resort fee or not...

As another poster said, you don't pay the resort fee if you are staying on Hilton Honors points.

Also, as Diamond members we have never paid a resort fee, I just address it at check in. If it is accidentally left on the bill I call down to the desk and have it removed. they always do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter