Waitlist - what do you recommend?

MommaBerd

DIS Veteran
I’m looking at a four-night stay where the first two nights are available the third night is not and then the next two nights are available. It seems strange that that ONE night (a Thursday) in the midst of all those others is not available. (But maybe it is common?) Anyhow, if you were planning a trip where this was the scenario, would you waitlist the one night and reserve the others or waitlist the entire trip? My instinct says to waitlist the entire stay, but maybe if you are only waitlisting that one night it’s more likely to be filled? And if you waitlist and get the one night, does that mean you’ll have to change rooms? Thanks so much!

@bobbiwoz - End of June; it is a resort-only trip. I already have a trip booked, but I’d rather start my stay two days later. Seeing the availability calendar made me wonder which was the better option - to waitlist the entire stay or just the one “missing” night.

That’s pretty soon. You say you have the trip booked. So you are thinking of changing resorts.

If you really do not want to move, then waitlist the whole trip, but if you are willing to move Book what you can and waitlist the one night. You do have someplace to stay for that one night, right? That would be your current resort. If the one night waitlist comes through and it’s the same sort of room, they will link that reservation so you will not have to move.

pixiedust:

Thanks @bobbiwoz. I do have the trip booked for June 18-21; I’d RATHER be able to go June 20-23 (or even 24th), but the night of the 22nd is the one night that is not available from June 18-23. I’ve waitlisted both the single night and the length of stay. - And as an aside, I wish the waitlist had an option to reserve ANY studio or ANY 1-BR at a particular resort.

Anyhow, you did answer my more important question which was if I get the one night, they will link my reservation(s) so that I don’t have to move. So thank you very much for that!

You may have already made your decision since you are within 30 days of your trip but I have had really good luck wait listing for one night. I even did that around Christmas and got it. However, I was further out from my vacation than you are. Did you use the resort availability tool to see if any studio or one bedroom is available that night (SSR is usually your best bet)? If one is, you could book it and then wait list your preferred location while entering the information to cancel the other one night reservation if you get the wait listed room. Assuming your preferred resort costs more points than the one you booked, you avoid the holding points problem of cancelling within 30 days of your trip. But if you book a one bedroom and the wait list comes through with a studio, you would likely have the holding points problem.

@HHISand - Thanks for responding! I ended up not waitlisting the one night, but I did end up with the room I wanted for the dates I wanted! But, I appreciate your strategy suggestion; I am sure I will need to use it at some point in the future!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter