Wait times on rainy days

94bruin

DIS Veteran
My daughter is headed down to DL with her school's orchestra later this week. Rain is in the forecast for Thursday. They arrive at the parks around 8, has an hour free, then has a concert at 10 am in CA near the backlot. She will then has the rest of the day free. What will wait times look like for her? Will she even need to bother with FPs?

Also, of these rides, which usually stop in the rain: Teacups, Big Thunder, Autopia, RSR, Matterhorn. We told her to concentrate on her favorite indoor rides for Thursday: Space, Star Tours, TSMM, Soarin', Guardians of the Galaxy (she gets to ride this before any of her family member do!) She isn't a fan of Indy, but her friend has never been to DL, so I suggested they go on it just once.

Also, does GOG change at some point during the day. I remember reading about it before but since I haven't planned a trip since the changeover, I didn't pay attention.

How about Friday? I assume it'll pick up a bit because less chance of rain and it's Friday. Her workshop isn't until 5pm, so she'll be at the parks from about 8?am to 5pm; then again from 7:30-8:30.

She's got the DL app downloaded to her phone. We'll let her turn on data for this trip (at home, she's only allowed to use wifi.) Shes been checking the wait times ever since she downloaded the app to her phone a few weeks ago.

Any other tips? I'm so excited for her! We've been to DL every year since she was 4, but this will be her first visit sans her family. I'm sure she'll have a blast with her friends!

Will she even need to bother with FPs?
Since the rides she's interested are the most popular ones, I think she should utilize FP. I know rain reduces crowds, but unless it's a torrential downpour I wouldn't expect an empty park.
Also, of these rides, which usually stop in the rain: Teacups, Big Thunder, Autopia, RSR, Matterhorn.
I know teacups close, but I'm not sure about the others. I've heard mixed reports about RSR, so I suspect it depends how heavy the rain is.
Also, does GOG change at some point during the day. I remember reading about it before but since I haven't planned a trip since the changeover, I didn't pay attention.
During the Halloween season it had an "after dark" version that started after a certain time each day. I bet that's what you're thinking of. Nothing like that now.

This is spring break season now so I'm assuming she'll see some crowds! I'd highly recommend fast pass and even maxpass if she is limited in how often she can get to fast pass machines with others things she's doing on her trip.

Haha, I was picturing 15 min waits - shows how little I know! I'll definitely let her know that she should use FP. Not planning on doing maxpass for her as it would only be effective if all her friends got it. Since they all have different call times (band and choir students as well), she'll just have to do paper fp.

Anyone know what rides are likely to be down in the rain?

Mad Tea Party and RSR for sure. Luigi's and Mater's might be closed, too. Not sure about Autopia. Any outdoor character meet & greets will be moved to indoor locations.

Does RSR shut down the whole day if its raining, or just during rain? This makes me nervous as rain is in the forecast for the 2 days we are there. That does't bother us, but I would be upset if we didn't get to go on RSR.

Does RSR shut down the whole day if its raining, or just during rain? This makes me nervous as rain is in the forecast for the 2 days we are there. That does't bother us, but I would be upset if we didn't get to go on RSR.
I don't think it shuts down for the whole day automatically. I've been there when it was lightly raining in the morning and I don't remember having any trouble riding RSR. I've heard that it can be a bit unpredictable, so I suspect it depends how hard it rains and/or how much water accumulates on the track.

I know Matterhorn still runs in the rain since my niece and I rode it in a steady rain a couple weeks ago. We wore our ponchos and did our best not to get drenched. :laughing:

We were there last week when it a good bit of rain was predicted (fortunately there wasn't much except a brief period Tuesday) and the crowd looked pretty robust in the afternoons. I think this week is expected to be busier

To my shock the one day it was pouring rain on an afternoon last week BTMRR ran through the whole thing... (mine you that sounds NO fun to me but high school was awhile ago for me). FP will still be useful to her, MP very useful if she had friends using it. They can book a FP for use right after they perform & will have the energy to really make the most of MP!

To my shock the one day it was pouring rain on an afternoon last week BTMRR ran through the whole thing... (mine you that sounds NO fun to me but high school was awhile ago for me). FP will still be useful to her, MP very useful if she had friends using it. They can book a FP for use right after they perform & will have the energy to really make the most of MP!

She's in middle school, but the same energy nonetheless. She mentioned that some kids were excited to ride the roller coasters in the rain because "it sounds like the best thing ever!" Oh to be young again!

Thursday is a flash flood watch. Torrential downpours are expected. I think all the locals will stay home. Parks should be empty but not sure how much will be up and running if there are in fact flash floods. I wouldn't worry about fast pass except for maybe the indoor rides, which is where I expect everyone will be. I don't think it will be a busy park day though.

Thursday is a flash flood watch. Torrential downpours are expected. I think all the locals will stay home. Parks should be empty but not sure how much will be up and running if there are in fact flash floods. I wouldn't worry about fast pass except for maybe the indoor rides, which is where I expect everyone will be. I don't think it will be a busy park day though.

Are there a lot of puddles when it rains? I'm trying to convince DD to bring rain boots, but she is balking at having to pack them. I at least convinced her to bring a second set of shoes for Friday /Saturday.

Last edited:
Are there a lot of puddles when it rains? I'm trying to convince dad to bring rain boots, but she is balking at having to pack them. I at least convinced her to bring a second set of shoes for Friday /Saturday.
Yes to puddles. Last February, they actually closed the parks early one day because Main Street was so flooded.

I don't own rain boots, though, so I just wear tennis shoes and bring an extra pair of socks. Dry shoes for the next day would be a good call, though.

We went a week ago saturdya when it rained. RSR wasn’t shut down yet when we checked, it had been lightly raining for maybe an hour. Luigi’s cars will shut down immediately because it is a trackless ride. The rest of the park was open.
BTMRR did not shut down, we rode it in the rain. Teacups were still open with very light rain. Autopia was also still open.

If it’s light, even if it is consistent, she should be fine. If it gets heavy or windy things will close. And it is Spring Break so more likely that people will stick out the rain and stay. Most local schools are NOT out that week so you have more of a vacationing crowd and they tend to stick it out because they are already there, can’t just go home!

Are there a lot of puddles when it rains? I'm trying to convince DD to bring rain boots, but she is balking at having to pack them. I at least convinced her to bring a second set of shoes for Friday /Saturday.
She will probably be fine if you waterproof other shoes beforehand. I'd pack at least 2 pairs of shoes and just let her know that she will probably end up with wet socks. Rainboots are not comfortable for all the walking involved with a day at DL

She will probably be fine if you waterproof other shoes beforehand. I'd pack at least 2 pairs of shoes and just let her know that she will probably end up with wet socks. Rainboots are not comfortable for all the walking involved with a day at DL

Depends on the rain boots. Hunter and Blundstone do very well, as do any hiking boots or all terrain boots lined with Gore-tex or something similar. Cheap rain boots don't do great, although thick socks and gel insoles or sheepskin insoles can help. Uggs do very poorly (unless they are the waterproof kind) -- have seen so many unhappy looking guests in soaked Ugg boots. :( The pavement at DLR is so uneven that puddles are everywhere, not always where you'd expect, and sometimes deeper than you'd think.
Totally agree with the suggestion to bring two pairs of shoes and extra socks. She can keep the dry shoes and socks (and maybe a change of clothes?) in a locker until she needs to change.

Last edited:

Depends on the rain boots. Hunter and Blundstone do very well, as do any hiking boots or all terrain boots lined with Gore-tex or something similar. Cheap rain boots don't do great, although thick socks and gel insoles or sheepskin insoles can help. Uggs do very poorly (unless they are the waterproof kind) -- have seen so many unhappy looking guests in soaked Ugg boots. :( The pavement at DLR is so uneven that puddles are everywhere, not always where you'd expect, and sometimes deeper than you'd think.
Totally agree with the suggestion to bring two pairs of shoes and extra socks. She can keep the dry shoes and socks (and maybe a change of clothes?) in a locker until she needs to change.

She's on her way as I type. DH & I couldn't convince her to bring her Hunter boots last night. She's a kid - she said she'll deal with wet shoes on THursday. At least we convinced her to bring some ponchos! She does have a change of shoes for Friday.

They have a separate concert outfit they have to change into and out of tomorrow. Maybe they'll be out of the rain during the heaviest part of the morning. Unfortunately, I don't think they'll have much of an audience if it's raining (or maybe that's fortunate for the listeners:rotfl:).

I’m here now. We brought our rain boots because wet feet sounds miserable. So it only sprinkled for 15 min today so far. But we left at 2.

Yes to puddles. Last February, they actually closed the parks early one day because Main Street was so flooded.

I don't own rain boots, though, so I just wear tennis shoes and bring an extra pair of socks. Dry shoes for the next day would be a good call, though.
I hope not tomorrow. Also we have woc. Why did we book Thursday?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter