VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

I sure hope this is true. It makes sense that the HDDR return will prompt return of boats. I just enjoy hoping the boats and taking a grand tour of Bay Lake and checking out the resorts. To me, those little "Steamboat Willies" are like catching a ride on the train at MK. Nothing overly exciting about them, but, they sure are relaxing.
I really enjoyed the “ Steamboat Willies” reference and I “see” it!:)

I sure hope this is true. It makes sense that the HDDR return will prompt return of boats. I just enjoy hoping the boats and taking a grand tour of Bay Lake and checking out the resorts. To me, those little "Steamboat Willies" are like catching a ride on the train at MK. Nothing overly exciting about them, but, they sure are relaxing.
I love the boats, especially the little ones. They are one of the many reasons I love WL.

Hey guys. Got some really awful news today. Our 12 year old corgi Kaya has cancer in her spleen. We will have to send her off to the rainbow bridge tomorrow. I'm so devastated. I have dreaded this for so long but I knew the day would come when I would no longer have my corgis. I hate this so bad. It's so unfair that we have to make these kind of decisions. Prayers and pixie dust for her journey are appreciated.

I'm so very sorry to hear this. We lost our last Sheltie to Liver Cancer. Sending heartfelt prayers and buckets of pixie dust.

Fur kids just don't stay with us long enough.

The more I see of what Disney is doing for new developments, the happier I am that places like VWL were created back when Disney really invested in what they built.

Riviera doesn't impress me with their "Tower studio" rooms that are wickedly overpriced for what they are, and now the new conversions to Grand Floridian Villas' Resort Studio category have me feeling like they aren't even trying to build out a proper villa. Sure having two normal queen beds could be nice, but without the kitchenette they're nothing more than hotel rooms with a DVC label slapped on. Certainly not a home away from home.

People who love the Poly have every right to say the new tower building being built doesn't fit in... and it looks suspiciously similar to what they had planned over at Fort Wilderness's door. Two entirely differently themed resorts with designs that look like they were drawn out on the same desk, same day?

They can say they're building out something for everyone, but these changes don't feel like they're staying on brand. Is the DVC brand being cheapened?

Last edited:
The more I see of what Disney is doing for new developments, the happier I am that places like VWL were created back when Disney really invested in what they built.

Riviera doesn't impress me with their "Tower studio" rooms that are wickedly overpriced for what they are, and now the new conversions to Grand Floridian Villas' Resort Studio category have me feeling like they aren't even trying to build out a proper villa. Sure having two normal queen beds could be nice, but without the kitchenette they're nothing more than hotel rooms with a DVC label slapped on. Certainly not a home away from home.

People who love the Poly have every right to say the new tower building being built doesn't fit in... and it looks suspiciously similar to what they had planned over at Fort Wilderness's door. Two entirely differently themed resorts with designs that look like they were drawn out on the same desk, same day?

They can say they're building out something for everyone, but these changes don't feel like they're staying on brand. Is the DVC brand being cheapened?
I totally agree

Is the DVC brand being cheapened?
Interesting question. It’s certainly not “cheaper”. Disney is buying back 2042 resort contracts ( including VWL) and reselling them for $200 per point. They have 2 new DVC projects in the works. Disney apparently believes there’s a future for a bland, generic DVC.

I’m glad we were able to experience the Disney we loved. But, I understand we ( the wife and I, not to imply any you Groupies fit into that category 😉) are the “dinosaurs” now. The next generations probably won’t even be aware they are missing anything.

Interesting question. It’s certainly not “cheaper”. Disney is buying back 2042 resort contracts ( including VWL) and reselling them for $200 per point. They have 2 new DVC projects in the works. Disney apparently believes there’s a future for a bland, generic DVC.

I’m glad we were able to experience the Disney we loved. But, I understand we ( the wife and I, not to imply any you Groupies fit into that category 😉) are the “dinosaurs” now. The next generations probably won’t even be aware they are missing anything.
It's so frustrating. If I want bland I'll stay off property. One of the reasons I stay on property is for the charm and ambience.

Dan...as a fellow dinosaur I have to say I agree with you. Especially on the last point. For us, the theming of the resorts was always critical but it seems that is no longer valued as much by new buyers. For us, the original VWL decor was dark, and I know some people hated the couch design. But the decor to us always fit with what we thought the theming was. When they lightened the colors and made it more generic during a past refurb, it was not an improvement in our mind.

However, many people did feel that it was a great improvement to the "dark and woodsy" VWL of the past. And as long as Disney continues to sell DVC well, they obviously don't feel motivated to put special theming touches into new construction or refurbishments.

We started going to WDW in 1998 and even then we read about how Disney was going downhill. Attractions from the 70's and 80's were closed and there will always be a faction opposed to any change. As a new visitor to WDW at that time, we thought the changes were an improvement. The FastPass system was good, Magical Express started up and then at some point we got significant discounts on admission pricing through Annual Passes. So for us newcomers, Disney was all good and exciting.

For newcomers these days, they most likely feel the same. Disney is certainly investing in the parks with new attractions and even entire lands such as Pandora or Star Wars lands. So they see DVC as a good way to come back and see the parks which continue to evolve.

Nobody is right or wrong here. Disney is doing what they think they should do, and based on attendance it is hard to say they are wrong. But for us dinosaurs, we do tend to miss some of the good old days.

Dan...as a fellow dinosaur I have to say I agree with you. Especially on the last point. For us, the theming of the resorts was always critical but it seems that is no longer valued as much by new buyers. For us, the original VWL decor was dark, and I know some people hated the couch design. But the decor to us always fit with what we thought the theming was. When they lightened the colors and made it more generic during a past refurb, it was not an improvement in our mind.

However, many people did feel that it was a great improvement to the "dark and woodsy" VWL of the past. And as long as Disney continues to sell DVC well, they obviously don't feel motivated to put special theming touches into new construction or refurbishments.

We started going to WDW in 1998 and even then we read about how Disney was going downhill. Attractions from the 70's and 80's were closed and there will always be a faction opposed to any change. As a new visitor to WDW at that time, we thought the changes were an improvement. The FastPass system was good, Magical Express started up and then at some point we got significant discounts on admission pricing through Annual Passes. So for us newcomers, Disney was all good and exciting.

For newcomers these days, they most likely feel the same. Disney is certainly investing in the parks with new attractions and even entire lands such as Pandora or Star Wars lands. So they see DVC as a good way to come back and see the parks which continue to evolve.

Nobody is right or wrong here. Disney is doing what they think they should do, and based on attendance it is hard to say they are wrong. But for us dinosaurs, we do tend to miss some of the good old days.
I'm with you Dinosaurs
We were right behind you Granny on 1st visit being in 99. We have friends who have been going since early 70s and though back then when we were newbies, they didnt say a lot about what they felt was a decline in things, but later they started really opening our eyes to how things had changed for them, and eventually we started seeing decline too, in our eyes.
I agree that changes in resorts are being homogenized but maybe the new public doesn't see it that way.
I have another friend, much younger than me that still sees it all through rose colored glasses, goes every time she can, etc., much like we were back in the day.
Times change, maybe us Dinos get a bit more cynical. Many of us long for the good ol days when times were simpler, including WDW. I wish I could put those rose colored spectacles back on!!

I'm with you Dinosaurs
We were right behind you Granny on 1st visit being in 99. We have friends who have been going since early 70s and though back then when we were newbies, they didnt say a lot about what they felt was a decline in things, but later they started really opening our eyes to how things had changed for them, and eventually we started seeing decline too, in our eyes.
I agree that changes in resorts are being homogenized but maybe the new public doesn't see it that way.
I have another friend, much younger than me that still sees it all through rose colored glasses, goes every time she can, etc., much like we were back in the day.
Times change, maybe us Dinos get a bit more cynical. Many of us long for the good ol days when times were simpler, including WDW. I wish I could put those rose colored spectacles back on!!
My first trip was 1979. Wish I could go back in time just once to see the parks the way they used to be. Of course that first trip it was just MK. I just remember everything being spotless. You would never see anything not in working order. I feel bad for my daughter that she couldn't experience that.

I'm so very sorry to hear this. We lost our last Sheltie to Liver Cancer. Sending heartfelt prayers and buckets of pixie dust.

Fur kids just don't stay with us long enough.
sending pixie dust and prayers your way! So sorry you lost your precious baby! we had to say good-bye to our wonderful cat, Doobie due to cancer a couple of years ago despite thousands of dollars of treatment. So hard to say good bye even when you know it is best!

Hi fellow 🦖! While I visited in 1972 as a kid, and enjoyed several trips as a young adult, our family began staying onsite in 1995. We became DVC members in 2001, and I remember thinking 2042 was such a long way off! Yikes!

I still look forward to more stays, hopefully with grandchildren in tow. I guess when it comes to many things, including the way Disney used to be, we need to invoke Dr. Seuss, and not cry because it's over smile because it happened!

Hello! DVC members here with an upcoming stay at CC (studio). We check in Sunday! We've stayed at WL but it's been about 8 years ago and on hotel side. Kids are 14 and 10 and they've been asking about staying here ever since we stayed here last. We've been to Disney plenty and will pop into parks but looking to have a more laid back vacation. I did see it looks like there's a nice grill area and basketball court. What else could we do on a resort heavy trip at WL?

Hello! DVC members here with an upcoming stay at CC (studio). We check in Sunday! We've stayed at WL but it's been about 8 years ago and on hotel side. Kids are 14 and 10 and they've been asking about staying here ever since we stayed here last. We've been to Disney plenty and will pop into parks but looking to have a more laid back vacation. I did see it looks like there's a nice grill area and basketball court. What else could we do on a resort heavy trip at WL?
The grille at Geyser Point is really nice! One thing I will suggest is that you will be really close to Fort Wilderness and there is a lot that you can do there like horseback riding and archery. Not sure if they are doing it at the Lodge right now but you could rent a boat. I think they are doing it at the Contemporary.

:welcome: to the Groupies! We're so glad you've joined us!

There are a few grilling areas found mostly near the cabins: one on the north side near the smaller numbered cabins and two on the south side (larger numbers). And, yes, there's the court on the south side, as well. One of the favorite things people like to do is ask the front desk for a Hidden Mickey sheet where you can go searching for them around the resort. Then, you can head over to the Carrollwood Pacific Room in the VWL building (the one some people now call BRV) and play board games by the fire. Grab some food at Geyser Point and then play ping-pong. Watch the geyser blow on the hour throughout the day. It's a relaxing, fun place to be. Enjoy!

Needless to say I'm sure most of your time will be down at the pools. There's also the waterparks to consider for a day.

If you want to venture out to someplace interesting but inexpensive, check out YeeHaa Bob in the Riverview Roost Lounge over at Port Orleans Riverside. He has a schedule, be sure to check the dates he's there with Disney before taking the trip over... I think it's Wednesday through Saturday around 8:30pm to midnight. He performs 3 unique sets throughout the evening and is fun for any age. Bob's show tends to become a highlight memory of the trip for anyone who sees him.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter