VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

Hi everyone!! :yay:

Soon to be VWL groupie!! My friend and I are going down next month and staying at the DVC villas for the first time! We have always gone to whispering canyon for dinner and admired the resort, so we are super excited to finally be staying there!!

Any advice for us newbies?
Others have said most of what I would suggest, but I wish to add my welcome, as well. As JT implied, the only requirement for membership in the Groupies is a love of the Lodge. As part of this esteemed group, if you desire, we can put your trip plans on Page 1 (pm me with details) or add birthdays, anniversaries, etc., too. For those, pm jimmytammy. Again, that's only if you wish to do so.

All the suggestions for things to do have been superb. I would add eating made-to-order Mickey waffles at Roaring Fork, stopping by the new coffee bar at the Territory Lounge, grabbing a Hidden Mickey hint sheet at the front desk and going on a hunt for them, and I highly recommend breakfast at Trail's End--good food for an inexpensive (by Disney standards) price. Again, welcome!

Absolutely loving all the welcomes and advice :cool1: I can already tell we are going to have a blast at the lodge this vacation! There is so much to look forward to!

I don't read everything on this thread, so I apologize if this has already been mentioned. Do you know what's missing from this photo? Surely diehard VWL fans know?

DSC_2163_zpssvnvppzv.jpg

I don't read everything on this thread, so I apologize if this has already been mentioned. Do you know what's missing from this photo? Surely diehard VWL fans know?

DSC_2163_zpssvnvppzv.jpg
I do, I do:tongue: Mickey welcoming us home. Sure hope they bring him back soon!

I do, I do:tongue: Mickey welcoming us home. Sure hope they bring him back soon!
Yep, its the Welcome Home Mickey topiary. None of the CMs I talked to today -- at least the ones familiar with the Mickey topiary -- would venture a guess if and when Mickey might return.

Speaking of missing topiaries, the buffalo topiary that is normally near the front of Wilderness Lodge wasn't there today (11/19/2015). I asked one of the greeters where it was and he was as surprised as me that it was gone. Another CM thought it was in its normal spot yesterday.

DSC_2163_zpssvnvppzv.jpg

He's been gone for awhile - too long I'm afraid...... :sad: And now the buffalo?!?!?! It's just like they did at the MK - slowly removed until you didn't even realize they weren't there any longer and then finally one year started wondering what happened to the wonderful creatures.

DiznyDi and I were surprised to see Mickey missing in October. I do remember that Mickey was replaced by Minnie a number of years ago when Mickey needed some work done. That was short lived, and Mickey returned in a few months. But the Buffalo? It is the details that only we that love The Lodge will notice and miss as the New Lodge emerges. But as history has shown, Disney never disappoints; they are masters of the details.

Well, the buffalo might have been temporarily removed just to get cleaned up for the Holidays. Like I said, the two CMs working the WL driveway were shocked to find the buffalo wasn't in its usual spot.

We are leaving tomorrow for Miami but we''ll be back at WDW on 11/29. We'll swing by WL when we return and see if the buffalo is back.

BTW: Does the buffalo have a name?

I miss the Mickey topiary, and I also recall someone mentioning (and maybe posting a pic) it was gone several weeks ago. I hope he returns.

THE BUFFALO BETTER RETURN, OR I WILL THROW A TEMPERTANTRUMSTOMPMYFEETHISSYFIT!

Other than that, I have no opinion on the matter. . .

FYI: I posted some Wilderness construction photos on DVCNews today (click here to see). The photos were taken yesterday, November 19, 2015.

I'm hoping both Welcome Home Mickey and the Buffalo return to Wilderness. I guess I could make a snarky comment like "Even Mickey and the Buffalo don't want to stay at Wilderness during the construction." But I hate making snarky comments.

:rotfl2:
Yep, its the Welcome Home Mickey topiary. None of the CMs I talked to today -- at least the ones familiar with the Mickey topiary -- would venture a guess if and when Mickey might return.

Speaking of missing topiaries, the buffalo topiary that is normally near the front of Wilderness Lodge wasn't there today (11/19/2015). I asked one of the greeters where it was and he was as surprised as me that it was gone. Another CM thought it was in its normal spot yesterday.

My father in law takes a picture of me with the Mickey topiary ever year, we were surprised to see him missing.

He's been gone for awhile - too long I'm afraid...... :sad: And now the buffalo?!?!?! It's just like they did at the MK - slowly removed until you didn't even realize they weren't there any longer and then finally one year started wondering what happened to the wonderful creatures.

DiznyDi and I were surprised to see Mickey missing in October. I do remember that Mickey was replaced by Minnie a number of years ago when Mickey needed some work done. That was short lived, and Mickey returned in a few months. But the Buffalo? It is the details that only we that love The Lodge will notice and miss as the New Lodge emerges. But as history has shown, Disney never disappoints; they are masters of the details.

Sleepydog said:
I miss the Mickey topiary, and I also recall someone mentioning (and maybe posting a pic) it was gone several weeks ago. I hope he returns.

THE BUFFALO BETTER RETURN, OR I WILL THROW A TEMPERTANTRUMSTOMPMYFEETHISSYFIT!

Well, the buffalo might have been temporarily removed just to get cleaned up for the Holidays. Like I said, the two CMs working the WL driveway were shocked to find the buffalo wasn't in its usual spot.

We are leaving tomorrow for Miami but we''ll be back at WDW on 11/29. We'll swing by WL when we return and see if the buffalo is back.

BTW: Does the buffalo have a name?

Sleepy...you win the memory award! They pulled the Mickey topiary the last day of our trip so that would be September 30.

Dizny Dad...you wouldn't have been surprised if you read my posts! :rotfl2:

http://www.disboards.com/threads/vwl-groupies-lovers-thread-special-collectors’-edition.3242976/page-214#post-54559933

I tried to warn you!!! :)

I can't see them doing away with the bison topiary unless they were having health issues with it? Maybe he will become a roaming topiary, popping up in various places like an Elf on a Shelf. :)

FYI: I posted some Wilderness construction photos on DVCNews today (click here to see). The photos were taken yesterday, November 19, 2015.

I'm hoping both Welcome Home Mickey and the Buffalo return to Wilderness. I guess I could make a snarky comment like "Even Mickey and the Buffalo don't want to stay at Wilderness during the construction." But I hate making snarky comments.
I recall when Topiary Mickey had a tail, as well, until a hard freeze apparently took care of that, ahem, "de-tail." It was several years ago, and luv and I were sharing one of our first trips together. It was December, and a three-night hard freeze blew in. We came back a few months later, and the tail was gone. As for the scrims masking the construction, if Disney had been really sharp, they'd have put up sandy beach screens along the walk by the actual beach ;) (which saddens me to think it will likely be gone when construction is done :sad1: ).

Last edited:
I do remember the buffalo roaming off somewhere before a couple of years ago when I was there so I'll hold out hope for his return but Mickey's been on a walkabout for quite a long time!

Thanks for the advice and thank you @KAT4DISNEY with the detailed description! That's exactly what I wanted to know!

We were looking to buy direct (small add-on), so it was a waitlist issue. We waitlisted two resorts: the lodge (duh) and OKW. We liked boat access no matter where the boat goes. LOL. Well, the waitlist for OKW came through first, so now we are just deciding.

Hi Kathy
I may be late but my vote is to hold out for the Lodge more points for the 11 month booking window
In one of the smallest

DVC resorts we have more than one home resort but thankfully they all have the same UY Best of luck

Welcome DVC 1991
You'll love it here

Hi Kathy
I may be late but my vote is to hold out for the Lodge more points for the 11 month booking window
In one of the smallest

DVC resorts we have more than one home resort but thankfully they all have the same UY Best of luck

Welcome DVC 1991
You'll love it here

I ended up doing exactly that !!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter