• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

Exciting news, sleepy! Hope it all works out. You would be perfect for that job. You've convinced me to stay there sometime!

Sleepy...best wishes on your DHH interview! Disney would be crazy not to bring you on board!

One tip...if during the interview they ask your opinion of the changes at VWL...just grit your teeth, smile and spout the company line about how you feel that the changes must have been based on guest feedback! :teeth:
I got coffee on my shirt this morning laughing at this! :rotfl2:

We opted for a refund as well. Wonder when that will happen? As sad as it makes me to not have one (let alone multiple) trips on the docket, I am in the high risk group with asthma. I’m hoping 2021 we can all make up for it. For now I will just be grateful that I can continue to work from home.

Sleepy! Congrats on the house moving so quickly! I am excited to live vicariously through you! We talk about moving but still don’t know where we would go....we’d like to have a condo in FL for the winter months, but not sure where for the reminder.

Also, GOOD LUCK tomorrow! What is the role you are hoping for? Cannot wait to hear!pixiedust:

Have you all seen any pictures of one of the updates to the front Epcot entrance? I like it.

epcot-entrance-fountain-pylons-01.png

Sleepy! Congrats on the house moving so quickly! I am excited to live vicariously through you! We talk about moving but still don’t know where we would go....we’d like to have a condo in FL for the winter months, but not sure where for the reminder.

Also, GOOD LUCK tomorrow! What is the role you are hoping for? Cannot wait to hear!pixiedust:
Thanks! We're hoping to close in the next month on both our current house (as sellers) and our new house (as buyers). Obviously, that means we have contracts going for both. Lots of juggling!

As for the position, it's a very low-level spot on the Supreme Custodial Corps. . .okay, I made up the title, but the position is actually for custodial work, though there is also a part-time food service job open (rotate between Tide Me Over, Signals, and the bar at the Beach House). Honestly, it's just something to keep me busy as I'm simply not one to sit still very long, except at the end of the day with a glass of wine. :drinking1 If hired, and if you stay with them for at least six months, then you can apply for other positions that open up. This particular job isn't glamorous, but it does allow one a certain sense of freedom as you basically take care of outdoor areas, haul some trash, and clean where needed. Meanwhile, you're free to interact with guests; in fact, the first interview made it a point of emphasis. First step, of course, is to actually get hired. Then, I'll see if I actually accept.:laughing:

AND, thanks to all the Groupies for your outpouring of well wishes and support! There is a reason you're all considered part of my extended family. In fact, all of you know more about this than do some members of my actual family. pirate: For years, this thread has been a place of sanity, a sanctum where we can come and share our tales of success, disappointments, travails, and uplifting moments. Especially during this time of uncertainty and strife, to have a "home" where we can all feel welcome is undeniably comforting. A toast to all the Groupies!

Sleepy, that sounds great! Dana is also like you and will always want to have a little something to keep busy, and how perfect to be able to enjoy the interaction with guests! Good luck today!

You have such a great way with words, and as I so often do, I echo your sentiments about our wonderful thread! :grouphug:

Have you all seen any pictures of one of the updates to the front Epcot entrance? I like it.

epcot-entrance-fountain-pylons-01.png

Kat...I saw this picture. It looks like it could be very striking. I'll wait until I get to see it in person, but it does seem like a vast improvement over the tombstone monuments that they took out.

Like Corinne, we have no DVC reservations in place right now. Fortunately, we have AP vouchers but haven't activated them yet so we are good to go whenever we feel things have changed enough for us to enjoy at WDW trip.

Mrs. Granny is not happy with me since I put an infinity symbol on our WDW trip countdown chalkboard! 😟

My countdown is at 668 days, but I know that since so much is unknown, it makes this border on being a fantasy. Right now we are so focused on choices: what appointments we keep, which ones we postpone; what is the safest way to keep visiting our granddaughter (someone at my son-in-law's job found out his sister tested positive ); and car and financial choices as well. It's hard to incorporate Disney planning into our conversations. Every now and then we joke about who is actually going to go on Dumbo or the tea cups with my granddaughter, but we haven't had a good Disney discussion in a while now.
So, coming here to commiserate and share in a safe space is very important to me. I know I haven't been here consistently over the years, but I will always remember how helpful everyone was when I first considered staying at the villas in 2014. I can't contribute to DVC discussions, but unlike some other DVC boards, this one shares its love of the resort and not just discussions about contracts and points. Thank you!
ETA: I actually went back through my history and my first post on the groupies site, "Yes, We Love the Lodge", was in December 2012. And I have you guys to thank for helping me to choose a villa over 2 rooms.

Last edited:
My countdown is at 668 days, but I know that since so much is unknown, it makes this border on being a fantasy. Right now we are so focused on choices: what appointments we keep, which ones we postpone; what is the safest way to keep visiting our granddaughter (someone at my son-in-law's job found out his sister tested positive ); and car and financial choices as well. It's hard to incorporate Disney planning into our conversations. Every now and then we joke about who is actually going to go on Dumbo or the tea cups with my granddaughter, but we haven't had a good Disney discussion in a while now.
So, coming here to commiserate and share in a safe space is very important to me. I know I haven't been here consistently over the years, but I will always remember how helpful everyone was when I first considered staying at the villas in 2014. I can't contribute to DVC discussions, but unlike some other DVC boards, this one shares its love of the resort and not just discussions about contracts and points. Thank you!
ETA: I actually went back through my history and my first post on the groupies site, "Yes, We Love the Lodge", was in December 2012. And I have you guys to thank for helping me to choose a villa over 2 rooms.
Love your post reminiscing about your first experience with the Groupies. I went back to that post you reference, and in skimming through pages of conversations, I saw many comments from current members, as well as some from those who infrequently or no longer post on our thread. One thing struck me: this thread is a safe place, and I truly believe that is why we've been such a long-running one. Thanks for the reminder of what caring people can be.

Hearing so many people talk about postponing their trip or not going for a long time really has me worried. We are pretty much stuck and if we don't go in January we lose out on the money for the resort. We still plan to go because of that but all of this has taken so much joy out of all of it. When we booked the trip initially things seemed so much more optimistic for January. We were supposed to be over the hump by then and things were supposed to be so much better. Or so we thought. I was so excited to be able to actually plan a trip after more than 6 years that I guess I jumped on it way too fast and I should have waited to see how things would be.

Hearing so many people talk about postponing their trip or not going for a long time really has me worried. We are pretty much stuck and if we don't go in January we lose out on the money for the resort. We still plan to go because of that but all of this has taken so much joy out of all of it. When we booked the trip initially things seemed so much more optimistic for January. We were supposed to be over the hump by then and things were supposed to be so much better. Or so we thought. I was so excited to be able to actually plan a trip after more than 6 years that I guess I jumped on it way too fast and I should have waited to see how things would be.
Despite all the restrictions, I do believe you'll have a great time! If you're aware of the protocols, and you're comfortable with them, I believe you can make this as memorable a trip as you'd wish. Here's some early Moose dust to help you along as you plan and wait pixiedust:

Despite all the restrictions, I do believe you'll have a great time! If you're aware of the protocols, and you're comfortable with them, I believe you can make this as memorable a trip as you'd wish. Here's some early Moose dust to help you along as you plan and wait pixiedust:
Thank you! I really appreciate it.

I agree with sleepy. If you make up your mind to have the best possible time, in spite of the circumstances, I think the magic will find you. I was recently watching a Tim Tracker vlog where he was in search of a hot dog without having to go inside any restaurants in the MK. It rained, he didn't find his hot dog, but he rode on the carousel and found tables in little corners of the park to people watch and just enjoy being there. He mentioned his serotonin levels being raised by the experience. I was in such a good mood after watching that.
I would keep planning, but not in the usual way. i would stay current and read reports and watch vlogs of people who are going during this time.
I can't tell you how disappointed I have been, that after having record- breaking temperatures for over a month, this virus didn't go away like the flu! I held on to that belief for a long time. It feels like we are revising our expectations every day. I hope that the next few months leading up to your trip have more joy in them than fear.

We were 27 days away from WDW but had to move to Oct because our littlest grand daughter is scheduled for surgery on 9/14...we’re still planning on going to HHI the weekend before so that will have to tide us over til then...and we’re also still keeping our December trip so far. Other than the fact that we’re a couple of old farts - we’re really not in any high risk groups for Covid, and our daughter and SIL and 2 grands already had it. We also plan on quarantining for 2+ weeks when we get back.

I agree with sleepy. If you make up your mind to have the best possible time, in spite of the circumstances, I think the magic will find you. I was recently watching a Tim Tracker vlog where he was in search of a hot dog without having to go inside any restaurants in the MK. It rained, he didn't find his hot dog, but he rode on the carousel and found tables in little corners of the park to people watch and just enjoy being there. He mentioned his serotonin levels being raised by the experience. I was in such a good mood after watching that.
I would keep planning, but not in the usual way. i would stay current and read reports and watch vlogs of people who are going during this time.
I can't tell you how disappointed I have been, that after having record- breaking temperatures for over a month, this virus didn't go away like the flu! I held on to that belief for a long time. It feels like we are revising our expectations every day. I hope that the next few months leading up to your trip have more joy in them than fear.
Thank you. I think I have been watching each and every vlog there is lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter