VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

Favorite sweet snack...Mickey Bar

Celebrity sightings...I have an almost unfortunate knack, especially for my family sake, of seeing celebrities. Its an unusual gift in I notice certain facial recognition that jump out at me. I dont get over excited and google and gaga, I just notice and mention to my family, hey, that's so and so. Seen many musicians at Garden Rocks and Flower Power shows. My 1st sighting was our 2nd trip, saw Robert Urich and his DW(one of the Von Trapp girls in Sound of Music)at Country Bears. After that, its become a bit of a blur, but I will tap into the memory bank. Saw Gary Sinise and family at Olivias, Trisha Yearwood at AK, Jep Robertson(Duck Dynasty)and family at HS, Chipper Jones(Atlanta Braves)at MK with his sons. Met Bobby Cox(manager Atlanta Braves)at AKL. He is the only one I ever approached. Whoopi at MK. Several more but I cant remember :rotfl2:

So lets start another one

In same scenario as sweet treats, whats your favorite savory treat at WDW?
For me, it sounds weird, but the sour cream and chive popcorn located at the stand near JIYI in Epcot. I used to always enjoy
the Jalapeño Cheese stuffed pretzel in varying places but they did away with it a few years back.

Late to reply to sweet treat. There a chocolate turtle candy that they sell in the Contemporary! We go out of our way to get it!

I do not think I have a favorite savory treat at WDW.

Celebrity sightings...I have an almost unfortunate knack, especially for my family sake, of seeing celebrities. Its an unusual gift in I notice certain facial recognition that jump out at me. I dont get over excited and google and gaga, I just notice and mention to my family, hey, that's so and so. Seen many musicians at Garden Rocks and Flower Power shows. My 1st sighting was our 2nd trip, saw Robert Urich and his DW(one of the Von Trapp girls in Sound of Music)at Country Bears. After that, its become a bit of a blur, but I will tap into the memory bank. Saw Gary Sinise and family at Olivias, Trisha Yearwood at AK, Jep Robertson(Duck Dynasty)and family at HS, Chipper Jones(Atlanta Braves)at MK with his sons. Met Bobby Cox(manager Atlanta Braves)at AKL. He is the only one I ever approached. Whoopi at MK. Several more but I cant remember :rotfl2:

For me, it sounds weird, but the sour cream and chive popcorn located at the stand near JIYI in Epcot. I used to always enjoy
the Jalapeño Cheese stuffed pretzel in varying places but they did away with it a few years back.
At Disney? I don't think I've ever seen a celebrity unless you count Chef Andrew Sutton at the Napa Rose in DL. I'm a bit of a fan boy for well-known chefs. Outside of Disney, I have a huge list, mostly because I worked AF1, heads of states, Congressional delegations, and was in a movie all while performing my duties at Andrews AFB.

As for either sweet or savory treats from WDW? I don't generally tend to do any real snacks unless you count a pastry for breakfast as one. Luv would likely count her Mickey bars and her pickles as the representatives for her snacking. I do have a thing for one savory item, but it's not located at WDW, once again being across the continent at DL: the Little Red Wagon corn dogs. Hand-dipped batter, cooked fresh. . .scrumptious!

This is a good question and it has me thinking that I actually don't usually get a savory treat while I'm there. I'm gonna have to give it some more thought but it is interesting to me that I think the only non sweet treat I usually get there is a soft pretzel.

So I was watching a vlog tour the other day on the Copper Creek cabins. Some day when I hit the lottery I sure want to stay in one. LOL

I think the only non-sweet snack I ever get regularly is a Mickey pretzel, maybe sometimes with cheese. I'm usually so full from all the food I eat at regular meals, I'm rarely snacking! I guess if we count a beer as a snack, then that would be my other choice. :)

If just popcorn counts then that's mine.

If not then soft pretzels.

If that's not savory either then potstickers at Lotus Blossom Cafe

Similar to Sleepy I like the corndogs at DL but get the dipped spicy sausage at the Corn Dog Castle in DCA. That's a meal though vs a snack. :)

I think the only non-sweet snack I ever get regularly is a Mickey pretzel, maybe sometimes with cheese. I'm usually so full from all the food I eat at regular meals, I'm rarely snacking! I guess if we count a beer as a snack, then that would be my other choice. :)
It's the same way for us especially since we usually do the dining plan. You just get so much food that I don't have room for snacks. Usually even have snack credits leftover at the end. Then on the last day we hit the shop and buy candy and treats to take home with us. LOL

We're the opposite - we'll eat some regular meals but a lot is just eating as we go and using QS a lot since we find there are some very good options for that these days. If we've snacked then we just get a little less for a meal or maybe the "snack" becomes the meal.

We're the opposite - we'll eat some regular meals but a lot is just eating as we go and using QS a lot since we find there are some very good options for that these days. If we've snacked then we just get a little less for a meal or maybe the "snack" becomes the meal.

That pretty much describes us. A maximum of one table service restaurant per day, and on many days the snacks do become the meals and no table service. Seems like that has happened at Geyser Point a time or two with Dizny Dad & Di. :)

We have also seen Gary Sinise and Meredith Vieira at the Ca

Gary is soooooo on my CP bucket list, I adore him! Neil Patrick Harris was on my list, and we were able to see him last year. Have also seen Kurt Russell, Robby Benson (He even used his Beast voice at one point!, he was awesome)! Jody Benson, and I honestly cannot recall who else we have seen for the CP, but there are a few more.

Our CP narrators have been generally excellent. In order of our favorites, they have been Gary Sinise (twice), Edward James Olmos, Warwick Davis, Bart Millard (lead singer of "Mercy Me") and Meredith Vieira. Gary Sinise and Edward James Olmos were outstanding...sharing personal impressions and feelings of what the Nativity story meant to them and their families. Meredith Vieira just came and basically just read the narrative with no emotion.

The two times we saw Gary Sinise, it was Christmas Eve. While we always enjoy Candlelight Processional, listening to the story and hearing the music on Christmas Eve was indeed very moving as we were celebrating Christmas as a family at WDW.

Last edited:
Question: What is your second favorite resort after the WL, and why?
AKL Jambo all the way! I love the vibe there, the restaurants, the bar, the pool, the CMs, the view....everything. When I save up enough for a second contract, it'll be there for sure. :)
If there were only one Moderate resort room available on property, which would you hope for? And why?
I'd love to stay at POR, so quaint and charming!
Question: If you could be enjoying a sweet treat at WDW right now, what would it be? (and where are you having it, unless your answer makes it obvious!)
Pineapple upside down cake with Dole Whip on top!
But I'd have to add the Ohana Bread Pudding as an alternative. When we've eat at Kona Cafe, they don't have the bread pudding on their dessert menu but they've always been kind enough to bring me some from Ohana. And it's always excellent! :)
Fellow bread pudding lover here! I get it from Tambu lounge sometimes too. I have the recipe and make it at home when I am feeling really homesick for Disney.
Have you ever seen a celebrity at WDW? Either performing or just as a park guest.
Yes, Gary Sinise at the Candlelight Processional last year. He was amazing!
I am a sucker for a fresh Mickey pretzel washed down with an ice cold Safari Amber.

Gary Sinise and Edward James Olmos were outstanding...sharing personal impressions and feelings of what the Nativity story meant to them and their families. Meredith Vieira basically just came and basically just read the narrative with no emotion.

That's what makes the best CP narrators for us too. I've seen Olmos several times - each time it was different but he always had something to share. Whoopi also does this. Sinise is a bucket list. Had a stay scheduled during his readings last year but then convinced family that NYE should be done! Ah well, some day. I had been really excited for Dennis Haysbert as he has such an awesome voice but it was the most blah of all that we've seen. He just came out and read it - no emotion or even inflection.

Our CP narrators have been generally excellent. In order of our favorites, they have been Gary Sinise (twice), Edward James Olmos, Warwick Davis, Bart Millard (lead singer of "Mercy Me" and Meredith Vieira. Gary Sinise and Edward James Olmos were outstanding...sharing personal impressions and feelings of what the Nativity story meant to them and their families. Meredith Vieira basically just came and basically just read the narrative with no emotion.

The two times we saw Gary Sinise, it was Christmas Eve. While we always enjoy Candlelight Processional, listening to the story and hearing the music on Christmas Eve was indeed very moving as we were celebrating Christmas as a family at WDW.
I wish that DL CP was done the same way as at WDW. I would like to be able to go see it there but you can't.

Well, you can. You just have to spend all day waiting to do so! I'd love to see that to - the original and all that. Would really have loved to see it when Dick Van Dyke was the narrator a few years ago.
You can't actually get in to see the performance though can you? Just from a distance. At least that is what my friend told me but I may have misunderstood. She has been in the choir a number of times including when Dick Van Dyke did it. She was standing just feet from him and he talked to her!!!!

You can't actually get in to see the performance though can you? Just from a distance. At least that is what my friend told me but I may have misunderstood. She has been in the choir a number of times including when Dick Van Dyke did it. She was standing just feet from him and he talked to her!!!!

You can see it. At least I've read several reports - here on the DL board too, just haven't invested the time to do it ourselves. And you can be closer than we've often been for the WDW CP. It's held on the train station platform so not inside. They set up the chairs for VIPS etc right in front but there are spots just around for non-ticketed/vip. If you want to be close you have to devote your day to staking out your spot.

Here's a link to a post with pictures of someone who waited this past Dec. It sounds like the official line some CM's give is that you can't see it without a ticket but so far that hasn't been true. I find a post or two every year.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/2...thread-11-08-19-1-06-20.3771630/post-61323693

Last edited:
You can see it. At least I've read several reports - here on the DL board too, just haven't invested the time to do it ourselves. And you can be closer than we've often been for the WDW CP. It's held on the train station platform so not inside. They set up the chairs for VIPS etc right in front but there are spots just around for non-ticketed/vip. If you want to be close you have to devote your day to staking out your spot.

Here's a link to a post with pictures of someone who waited this past Dec. It sounds like the official line some CM's give is that you can't see it without a ticket but so far that hasn't been true. I find a post or two every year.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/2...thread-11-08-19-1-06-20.3771630/post-61323693
Ok that makes sense as to what she actually said as far as the official seating is for VIP. I wasn't sure how it worked for other people.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter