VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

You know, seeing the videos like twinklebug posted of the folks at WCC, watching the Dapper Dans from home singing our favorites, and even catching the Mariachi Cobre guys who perform out by Mexico, makes me realize even more how special WDW is to me and my family. We take so for granted sometimes that they will always be there, so we catch them another time, by passing to get to that meal, that ride the show, etc.
Our most recent should have been trip in mar-apr, we vowed to slow down, take in what's in front of us rather than rushing to see or do something we had done 100 times before. These folks are such talented folks, whether making us bust a side laughing at their antics, or making us tear up as they sing an emotional Disney inspired song, or so many more that catch our eyes and ears and create memories. Its the CMs doing what they do best that make WDW so special. And I for one miss em and cant wait to see em again, in better days ahead, when its safe to return

Totally agree with you jimmytammy. On this trip in January, it was just my DH and I celebrating my negative CT. It was a leisurely trip, with FPs for our favorites, but mostly it was me taking pictures and my DH just enjoying watching me in my happy place. He talked me into planning this trip while I was going through radiation to give me something to look forward to and we were going no matter what the results of the scan were. I am so glad we went and for the mother-daughter trip I had in November 2018. Two perfect trips to recall when I get down.
This bus driver and I really hit it off. We talked all the way from WL to AK! We reminisced about past attractions and what the bus trips were like before everything was pre-recorded. He loves interacting with guests and I think he was happy to find someone who loved it as much as he did. (I am normally introverted, but at Disney I am talking and interacting all the time!)
IMG_7935.JPG

Morning, Groupies! After three straight days of rain (more than 2" each of those days for a total north of 6"), the sun is finally out. . .at least for a few hours before wrap-around clouds with some imbedded rain showers pop up this afternoon. We are going out for a walk--long walk--and a cup of Starbucks. You bet we will still practice social distancing and wear our masks and use hand sanitizer. It's just good to finally see temperatures out of the 40s and low 50s after 72 hours of such, and to feel sunshine on my face.

Have a great weekend, gang!

bluecastle
Thanks for sharing this. I love reading posts like this and knowing the outcome was a good one. And to have a bond with a CM with hopes to see them again someday. I think God puts us in places to create relationships/bonds that are meant to last. Much like our band of groupies here. I will quote our beloved Ranger Stan as he told a few of us at a meet in the old Iron Spike Room many a year ago, “ I never thought I would be a groupie of anything in my life.” I never did myself think I would be a groupie, but I sure am glad God put me in this one!

Sleepy
Sure am glad to see the sun pop out in our neck o the woods too!
I recollect in my ol memory bank a story from a few yrs back
A coworker and his wife were in Dillon SC near South of the Border visiting relatives. Apparently they encountered a fellow who reminded them of Carl in the movie Slingblade
Anywho, it was a day much like the past few we had when just like that, much like today, the sun popped out. The fellow looked up and asked Rose, my coworkers wife in a most serious tone, “What’s dat bright light”
I’m just glad to see dat bright light !!😊🌞

Wow, here I am so happy that we have RAIN today! :) We have had a week of blustery winds, which were drying out the vegetable gardens that we planted earlier in the month in more normal weather!

Meanwhile, it seems the NJ shore is a very popular place to be, almost every parking space on our block is taking.

Happy Memorial Weekend, Groupies! Thank you all veterans for making this weekend possible.

I hope everyone is safe and healthy this Memorial Day weekend. Prayers and remembrances to all who gave everything for us...

A special nod to those who died in service during WWII. It was indeed a perilous time in the world, and they gave all to help not just the U.S. but to help all free people in all nations. A thought to remember during this time. . .

Well it looks like we have things set for the end of January. I'm excited but worried at the same time. I hope things will be ok by then. We bought someones points and will be staying at our other favorite resort the Boardwalk. We didn't see anything for the Lodge but will be sure to visit. AAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!! It's been so long since we have done this!!!!! It will be my daughter and I for sure. A long planned mother/daughter trip. My sister and niece may possibly go too but we aren't sure yet. And it will be my birthday while we are there!! Ok Allison, calm down. LOL BTW we haven't been to WDW in 6 years so I would welcome any advice on anything that is new since then.

Last edited:
Well it looks like we have things set for the end of January. I'm excited but worried at the same time. I hope things will be ok by then. BTW we haven't been to WDW in 6 years so I would welcome any advice on anything that is new since then.

I think you will be okay for January. We have a December reservation and I think that will be okay too. With whatever the new normal is, of course. I wouldn't worry for 8 months about your reservation...just enjoy the planning for your special mother/daughter trip! :)

BTW we haven't been to WDW in 6 years so I would welcome any advice on anything that is new since then.

Six years, huh? So since 2014? Wow, you will see a ton of changes. Start with a visit to the Wilderness Lodge campus and enjoy a drink at Geyser Point on the shore of Bay Lake.

DHS has seen the most dramatic changes with two new lands (Star Wars and Toy Story Land) and accompanying attractions. Great Movie Ride has been replaced with a new Mickey/Minnie attraction. Also look for changes there such as no more American Idol contests, Backlot Tour and Stunt Car spectacular, among other things.

Animal Kingdom's biggest change is Pandora the land of Avatar in what used to be Camp Minnie-Mickey. Also there is a night time light show/music called Rivers of Light.

Magic Kingdom has a new fireworks spectacular at the end of the evening and the Tron ride is under construction near Space Mountain. The Seven Dwarfs Mine Train opened in 2014 so I don't know if you have seen that yet.

EPCOT Future World will be unrecognizable as they basically seem to be blowing up everything except Spaceship Earth. You can read more here... EPCOT Plans . Also, the Norway boat ride has been replaced by a "Frozen" boat ride, and they are adding attractions at France and England pavillions.

And that doesn't even include the amazing transformation of Downtown Disney to Disney Springs. The Market Place area is mostly the same but the rest of Disney Springs is pretty much newly redone.

You will have an amazing trip....enjoy!

BTW we haven't been to WDW in 6 years so I would welcome any advice on anything that is new since then.
Granny did a great job of filling you in on the updates since your last trip. So many changes: some for better, some not so much. If you do get over to the Lodge, you won't recognize the place. The main lobby and Lodge itself look almost the same (new covered outdoor seating for Roaring Fork and kids splash area are both relatively new); however, the new cabins on the north and south side of the Lodge might make your jaw drop. They are beautiful, as is Geyser Point which sits where the old beach area was. Gone, unfortunately, is the beach, the Hidden Springs pool, and the nature trail that meandered off behind the bike shop. Currently, the paved bike path to FW is also closed as work proceeds with the newest resort, Reflections.

The main change you will see at Boardwalk is the big, honking Skyliner that drops off passengers at the International Gate to Epcot. It also heads over to DHS (among other destinations), so you will likely be able to use that while there. And, as Granny also mentioned, Disney Springs is wa-a-a-y different now, and we like it. Plenty of new spots to eat, feels more upscale, and seems roomier somehow.

Have a good trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter