• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

Hey Sleepy - Welcome to South Carolina!
Thanks! This is our 5th or 6th trip to HHI, and we love it here.

That looks like best antidote to COVID anxiety ever!!
Enjoy!
It was pretty darn great, even though not the best Mickey waffles we've ever had. Just being able to experience a little Disney magic, though, made them a wonderful treat. We arrived about 8:05 and were the third in line. It was slow going as we waited 15-20 minutes for our order of waffles, bacon, and toast. You order from the window as usual, but then you're given a plastic sign with a number on it, and you head down off the deck to wait. They bring you the food in a bag when it's ready. Still, it WAS Mickey waffles. ;)

Speaking of COVID anxiety, SC has apparently forgotten the pandemic isn't over (along with several other states). Few wear masks here except on Disney property. The lone exception are grocery stores where about 40% of the patrons wear them. Elsewhere, the rate is more like 10-15% at best. We've attempted to social distance as much as possible, wear our masks everywhere except when out for a walk or biking, and we keep hand sanitizer and wipes with us at all times. No guarantees, but we do hope to reduce the risk to a minimal nature.

Thanks! This is our 5th or 6th trip to HHI, and we love it here.

It was pretty darn great, even though not the best Mickey waffles we've ever had. Just being able to experience a little Disney magic, though, made them a wonderful treat. We arrived about 8:05 and were the third in line. It was slow going as we waited 15-20 minutes for our order of waffles, bacon, and toast. You order from the window as usual, but then you're given a plastic sign with a number on it, and you head down off the deck to wait. They bring you the food in a bag when it's ready. Still, it WAS Mickey waffles. ;)

Speaking of COVID anxiety, SC has apparently forgotten the pandemic isn't over (along with several other states). Few wear masks here except on Disney property. The lone exception are grocery stores where about 40% of the patrons wear them. Elsewhere, the rate is more like 10-15% at best. We've attempted to social distance as much as possible, wear our masks everywhere except when out for a walk or biking, and we keep hand sanitizer and wipes with us at all times. No guarantees, but we do hope to reduce the risk to a minimal nature.
Hey @sleepydog25 , Thank you for checking in from HII, I was unaware they were open! Small steps and we'll get back to normal some day.

Those mickey waffles look great!
Now I'm hungry for a mickey bar and some fireworks...time to watch one of those livestreams from last halloween.

Hey @sleepydog25 , Thank you for checking in from HII, I was unaware they were open! Small steps and we'll get back to normal some day.

Those mickey waffles look great!
Now I'm hungry for a mickey bar and some fireworks...time to watch one of those livestreams from last halloween.
They have Mickey bars and Mickey ice cream sandwiches here, too, for $5.75 each. :scared1: Kroger, a 10-minute walk away, has both Mickey bars and sandwiches for $6.99 for a box. Yeah, let that sink in. Of course, they are currently sold out of them. . .

We check out today. . .and move our things about 1/10 of a mile to Harbourside 1 in Shelter Cove for two nights. When we decided to add two more nights onto our reservation, this night wasn't available, so we picked up the two nights in Shelter Cove. We're really poring over the area as it's high on our list as a spot to retire. . .as in #1. We look at a few more places this morning after having toured a dozen on Wednesday.

In other news, and I've posted this on the HHI Lovers' thread, if you plan on coming down to HHI anytime soon, please be aware that SC and HHI have seen a spike in cases the past few weeks. HHI's rate is lower than that of the entire state of South Carolina, but it's still on the upswing. Why? I think you can guess.

Without debating the "I don't want to vs. I will do it, regardless" vis-a-vis the wearing of masks, science shows that the more everyone masks up, the less the infection rate. So, virtually no one on HHI masks up with the exception of about a 35-40% mask rate in grocery stores (Fresh Market makes them mandatory upon entering). You can social distance at some restaurants, especially if you sit outside. But, many places with outside seating still have tables close to your neighbors. We've cancelled a handful of reservations out of caution, and we're in a 1BR so have cooked numerous meals here. . .for far cheaper and just as good in most cases.

Disney does require masks except in the pool area, so we've avoided that spot. They do keep the groupings of chairs separate and they allow only a certain number of guests in at a time, but with more people there than anywhere and none wearing masks, we've opted to skip it. Too much caution? Perhaps. But, that's simply our manner currently. Just being down here was a risk, and we knew that going in. We've done what we could to ameliorate the risks and still enjoy ourselves.

All of that to say, just be aware that while DHHIR is up and running, there are limitations and changes from what it was: limits on the pool crowds, checking out needed equipment for the lawn games, no tours, no campfires, no movies, no seating at Tide Me Over, only four people at a time in the Mercantile, and masking up whenever out and about on campus. We're fine with these things, and we've gotten a small taste of Disney for which we were starving. However, if anyone else is coming here soon, just be aware that the Disney experience will be different for the foreseeable future; off site, things are pretty much as before. pirate:

Sleepy...thanks for the update on your trip. It sounds like you have been able to enjoy it despite the restrictions you have experienced. And having visited Hilton Head several times I can certainly see the appeal as a retirement location. I hope you enjoy the last two nights of your visit! :)

Last edited:

Has everyone seen the latest update. Ugh. We have our resort reservations but not our tickets.

For the park reservations? I glanced over it. I also suspect things will change again before your trip and ticket sales will reopen - or at least I assume they still haven't.

There's once again a bonified perk for staying onsite!

Has everyone seen the latest update. Ugh. We have our resort reservations but not our tickets.

Oh - now I see that they're opening up all dates thru Sept 2021 for reservations?! I assumed it would be something like 60 days for a time and then start rolling or something along those lines. Sept 2021? That's crazy! Disney's definitely on a different path than I thought they would be.

Hello, Groupies! The typical late afternoon/early evening t'storm popped up today just as we were sitting down to eat on our balcony. We are at Harbourside I for two nights, and it's decent with a great view of the marina near the bridge to Disney. In fact, we're two floors above Scott's Seafood Market. Let's just say, it's no DHHIR. We'll survive. pirate:

Have a good weekend, Groupies!

You might try sudafed shortly before departure to see if you have some slight fluid in the ears that causes issues dealing with the pressure. Newer aircraft really are much improved for this but sometimes I run into one that I feel the change. If you have any had stuffiness then I consider sudafed a must. I've thought my head was going to explode more than once when I didn't.

I used to suffer with sinus issues many years ago. At the time my doctor suggested Sudafed and/or Afrin. I have been using them both forever now, and I also use Earplanes. I am sure it’s overkill, but the pressure and pain I had felt when flying was so severe I would cry.

They have Mickey bars and Mickey ice cream sandwiches here, too, for $5.75 each. :scared1: Kroger, a 10-minute walk away, has both Mickey bars and sandwiches for $6.99 for a box. Yeah, let that sink in. Of course, they are currently sold out of them. . .
I was so excited when I finally was able to score the MM bars when they first became available. I have to say, I have not repurchased, they really aren’t the same. But then again, I’m one of those people that thinks every single pasta has a unique taste. :)

Happy Saturday morning Groupies!

Hope everyone is well! I’m curious about everyone’s thoughts on the WDW reopening, especially with the spike in cases in Florida. We canceled our September trip, but I am still hoping we can get to Sarasota in October. Not sure that will come to fruition though.

Wow - the internet blew up with Disney's release of info yesterday on those park reservations and AP extensions or refunds. :confused3
I'm opting for the extention, and the initial 117 days was already added to my exp date when I looked yesterday morning. I'll get 3 trips in under one pass that initially I was hesitant to activate. It doesn't happen often, but wow is it nice when things work out.

I'm not sure what to think about WDW re-opening. We saw what Universal did for opening, and those first few days looked good. Then it appears that it was all a show as the newer reports show on some attractions that the distancing markers have been removed and employees are telling folk to "Fill in all available space!" What!? Crowds are increasing due to those first few reports too. Just a recipe for disaster as those temperature checks won't catch the people who are asymptomatic.

My opinion is: Caution is the new norm. Masks are too but not sure for how long. For now, we just need to make judgement calls on safe places to be as we come across them. I'm prepared to go on our trip and just not go into the parks at all if reports are that they're crowded. With some luck Disney will open up hours late into the evenings and it would be nice to just walk around one for the last two hours as guests leave. I have an AP that was extended so there's no cost to me to do this. My daughter does not have a pass though and would burn through days on a ticket doing so.

Last edited:
I used to suffer with sinus issues many years ago. At the time my doctor suggested Sudafed and/or Afrin. I have been using them both forever now, and I also use Earplanes. I am sure it’s overkill, but the pressure and pain I had felt when flying was so severe I would cry.
Do you use the Sudafed you have to ask for at the pharmacy counter (the original) or the one they replaced it with that unfortunately does nothing for me!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter