VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

Goat feeder
I know for sure the big white and yellow boats that go between WL and MK are definitely ECV accessible. I dont think the smaller ones that go between WL, FW and Contemporary are because you have to step down into those.

Speaking of boats, does anyone know if the boats between WL, FW and CR are back top and running yet? Also, is the Monorail running from TTC and Epcot back running again?
They were not running when we were there. I haven't heard anything to believe they have started running them since. Especially the monorail.

Agree they are seperate! We have stayed in each many times and just glad we jumped at the chance to sell and rebuy now. BRV is already booked for the dates we want in April so hoping it changes by the time our points are loaded!

Are the resorts putting out resort activity calendars?
We were in WDW at BLT in late Feb and for the life of me, I cant say I remember an activities sheet in our room, and it seemed quiet around the pool areas. But the 2nd leg of our trip early March, we were at Disneys Hilton Head and we had a sheet of activities, we were just outside the main pool and there was lots going on there.
I imagine at this point many of those activities at WDW have opened up, albeit, they may have tweaked them a bit for social distancing and such.
Disney Loving Iowan may be able to chime in

We were in WDW at BLT in late Feb and for the life of me, I cant say I remember an activities sheet in our room, and it seemed quiet around the pool areas. But the 2nd leg of our trip early March, we were at Disneys Hilton Head and we had a sheet of activities, we were just outside the main pool and there was lots going on there.
I imagine at this point many of those activities at WDW have opened up, albeit, they may have tweaked them a bit for social distancing and such.
Disney Loving Iowan may be able to chime in
I didn't see an activities sheet on our trip last month. Only saw a sign on the walkway.

Happy weekend, fellow Groupies! Back to work on Sunday here at HHI, and things are hopping now that we've reached high season. Never a dull moment, that's for sure.

Closer to home...
In the upper middle left of the picture, just to the right of the tree trunk on the left, there is a small gray item, or as I call him, Smaug--an 8+ foot gator. Scan down just past the center of the picture, near the bank where you see a small trunk sticking out of the ground, and you'll notice the eyes of yet another gator, Junior--he's only 4-5 feet long and decided he wanted the float on my fishing rod. You can see the toppled container of worms to the right of the right tree trunk near where we sit to drink wine and eat cheese in our Adirondack chairs. Like I said, never a dull moment...pirate:

Happy weekend, fellow Groupies! Back to work on Sunday here at HHI, and things are hopping now that we've reached high season. Never a dull moment, that's for sure.
View attachment 579890

Closer to home...
View attachment 579891
In the upper middle left of the picture, just to the right of the tree trunk on the left, there is a small gray item, or as I call him, Smaug--an 8+ foot gator. Scan down just past the center of the picture, near the bank where you see a small trunk sticking out of the ground, and you'll notice the eyes of yet another gator, Junior--he's only 4-5 feet long and decided he wanted the float on my fishing rod. You can see the toppled container of worms to the right of the right tree trunk near where we sit to drink wine and eat cheese in our Adirondack chairs. Like I said, never a dull moment...pirate:
That's a bit too close for comfort for me. 🤣
I respect that these creatures have lived in the environment much longer than we humans have, but all the same I'd have the fencing company on dial for an estimate. I wouldn't want to step out with my pup on a leash right into the waiting jaws of Smaug, camped out in my shrubbery.

Last edited:
View attachment 579890

Closer to home...
View attachment 579891

Sleepy...I know this is a common thing at Hilton Head Island. Whenever I've golfed there in the past, it was a rare round that didn't include a gator or two sunning by the water hazards. We always knew that if our golf ball got close to one of those hazards, it didn't make sense to go looking for it too hard!

That's a bit to close for comfort for me. 🤣
I respect that these creatures have lived in the environment much longer than we humans have, but all the same I'd have the fencing company on dial for an estimate. I wouldn't want to step out with my pup on a leash right into the waiting jaws of Smaug, camped out in my shrubbery.

If you have a puddle in that part of the world, there's a decent chance that there is an alligator nearby. But that does make me curious if Disney did anything at DHHI with fencing after the alligator incident a few years ago? That marsh that is behind the resort seems like a pretty ripe area for gators.

That's a bit to close for comfort for me. 🤣
:laughing: We do look carefully when we walk out as there are snakes about (clear majority are not poisonous), gators, and other critters. I read up on alligators, and in the last 50 years or so, there have only been roughly 300-350 gator attacks in the U.S, so the risk is low. We don't let our pets out at all, so no issue there.

Sleepy...I know this is a common thing at Hilton Head Island. Whenever I've golfed there in the past, it was a rare round that didn't include a gator or two sunning by the water hazards. We always knew that if our golf ball got close to one of those hazards, it didn't make sense to go looking for it too hard!

If you have a puddle in that part of the world, there's a decent chance that there is an alligator nearby. But that does make me curious if Disney did anything at DHHI with fencing after the alligator incident a few years ago? That marsh that is behind the resort seems like a pretty ripe area for gators.
Yep, we have two golf courses on property where we live, and there are numerous gator sightings, especially right now during mating season. :oops: DHHIR hasn't done any particular mitigation of which I'm aware. There are a few signs posted but little else. The water there is brackish leaning to salty reduces the likelihood of them being around--not eliminate certainly. I have seen zero gators at the resort in coming up on nine months. Now, we do have manatees, dolphins, stingrays, crab, etc., and I've seen all of those in person except the manatees. Two were sighted there today, actually.

Last edited:
So a certain other website has posted pictures of the new WL rooms. Gotta say I'm not crazy about them. They just seem to be removing so much of the character of the lodge. They took out the beautiful headboards. I do like the floors though. I hope I'm ok with sharing these pictures.View attachment 580404View attachment 580405

They took it from Native American/Rustic/Southwestern influence to what looks more Craftsman style with a Native American type print on the chairs. It has a GC/VGC feel to it. I guess we just need to be happy it isn't white walls and subway tile in the bathrooms. Or at least I'm guessing it's not subway tile although I think GC/VGC probably does have that. Awhile ago another blogger posted photos from a renovated suite and I don't recall it being anything like this. That was terribly bland I remember thinking.

I thought those headboards were awesome. They have had similar or maybe the same there for years and I think it's sad to see them go.

BTW, I think allears.net is a website it's fine to post and link to.

Last edited:
They took it from Native American/Rustic/Southwestern influence to what looks more Craftsman style with a Native American type print on the chairs. It has a GC/VGC feel to it. I guess we just need to be happy it isn't white walls and subway tile in the bathrooms. Or at least I'm guessing it's not subway tile although I think GC/VGC probably does have that. Awhile ago another blogger posted photos from a renovated suite and I don't recall it being anything like this. That was terribly bland I remember thinking.

I thought those headboards were awesome. They have had similar or maybe the same there for years and I think it's sad to see them go.

BTW, I think allears.net is a website it's fine to post and link to.
Yeah I think you are right with the themeing. I love GC but I also love that it was different than the lodge with still having the same feel. I'm a big fan of the lodge type of theme so this disappoints me. I mean it is a lodge after all so shouldn't it look like one? If this was at GC?VGC I'd probably really like it. They didn't have a picture of the bathroom so I'm not sure how that is.

Watching a vlog right now and he is showing the new room theme. He has said several times that he thinks it is bland especially in the bathroom. He said they took away the charm. I agree. He said it is too much white. Let me just say the rooms aren't all bad. If these rooms weren't at the Lodge I would think they are nice but they just don't say lodge.

Hey Folks!
Its been a busier than normal year so far at work. We are averaging completing 2 units per week at the local retirement community where we do renovations and its about to kick my tail:rotfl2:

So my BIL and his family are here to stay for a bit and we are taking them and their family up to Beech Mt NC tomorrow for a week long getaway. Casey and me sure are looking forward to it as we have been going non stop for a few months. T and and me are spending every morning from 6am until 8 scheduling, making proposals, etc just to keep heads above water.

Im sorry as I feel like I am absent a lot these days but I try to pop in every so often to see how everyone is. Be glad when things settle a bit so I can be back more often

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter