VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 14 June 2024

Captain D made me aware of this earlier today. Though we aren't big fans of WCC as much as in the early days, its still nice to know its still there. I liked breakfast. As for AP, the posters from this particular thread went on to say that AP has changed recently too, but others argued it has not based on recent trips there.
My answer to all this is...bummer! Watch out Thea, if revenues go down, WCC antics may not be the only thing going away:P

1) Thea, the WL General Manager, has said in meetings that she does not like WCC.
2) The talk of a new theme for WCC has been rumored for a couple of months.
3) Although the new theme is not known, the destruction of Whispering uniqueness has started.
4) Effective Immediately:
. . . no more yelling by waitstaff (like for water or ketchup)
. . . no more tossing of straws onto the table
. . . no more throwing or waving of napkins
. . . no more "broomstick pony rides" for the little kiddies until after 10:00am

AND SO, IT BEGINS . . .
Or rather, the tear down of WL eateries continues, since the new Artist Point chef has already changed enough recipes to downgrade the AP experience. AP had made a major quality come-back after years of decline, and I even recommended it again. It is now off my personal recommended eateries list, and I have advised other folks to go elsewhere for a "Signature" meal. (Of course, the new Character Breakfast at AP might be worth a try when it starts.)

Captain D made me aware of this earlier today. Though we aren't big fans of WCC as much as in the early days, its still nice to know its still there. I liked breakfast. As for AP, the posters from this particular thread went on to say that AP has changed recently too, but others argued it has not based on recent trips there.
My answer to all this is...bummer! Watch out Thea, if revenues go down, WCC antics may not be the only thing going away:P

Wait, what? New Character breakfast at AP?

You know, I get a GM wanting to shift things the way they like but when you have a long standing experience, like WCC was, that's just a bit crazy. If it wasn't busy then that's one thing but it sure seemed to be! There are a bazillion restaurants at WDW that vary mostly because of menus. WCC was a unique experience and interaction.

I just sent an email to both Thea and President George about how unhappy I am about this.

Wait, what? New Character breakfast at AP?

You know, I get a GM wanting to shift things the way they like but when you have a long standing experience, like WCC was, that's just a bit crazy. If it wasn't busy then that's one thing but it sure seemed to be! There are a bazillion restaurants at WDW that vary mostly because of menus. WCC was a unique experience and interaction.

I agree completely. And I'm afraid that Thea might be a bad hire for GM of the Wilderness Lodge if she thinks that the traditional Whispering Canyon Cafe was out of place or the theming is inappropriate.

According to this site's announcement of the change https://wdwnt.com/2018/05/no-more-k...ess-lodge-no-longer-partaking-in-shenanigans/

"All these changes are said to be because of complaints made."

Really? Who would complain about people having fun?

And it makes me wonder if 50's Prime Time is next.

If you wouldn’t mind posting contact info, I will express our displeasure about the changes as well. Thanks!
Thea Sargent is the GM at WL name. Here is her email address below. I just sent her an email myself with my concerns, I encourage others to do the same.
WDW.GM.WildernessLodge@Disney.com

Here is my email to her

Hello Ms. Sargent,

I have read several posts via the Web in the last 2 days that Whispering Canyon Cafe has made a recent change that takes away the antics and fun that are a huge part of the experience of this restaurant. As frequent visitors in the past with our kids(we are DVC members and own most of our points at Villas of Wilderness Lodge)and still on occasion like to take newbies there for the experience, if the fun is taken away, only thing left is subpar food.

I hope this is only rumors. If true though, I fear this may become the end of WCC. The reason its so popular are the antics. Visitors not staying at the Lodge have to go out of their way to get here. My prediction is this will not be happening as much. The easiest way for most to navigate to WCC is via boat from Magic Kingdom for most, unless they travel by car. And getting to MK is a trek itself from other resorts outside of the MK area, the last thing people want to do is travel another 30 minutes just to eat. Again, my opinion, but I feel others will agree.

Please tell me this is only a rumor, nothing more!

Thank You,

James Whitesell

We leave tomorrow, Mother’s Day brunch at the YC, and off to MCO. Enjoy your stay Julie!

Awww too bad. Wish I had seen this post earlier. I'm staying at YC. I could have at least come down to say hi. Heading out shortly for a massage at GF spa. Safe travels home.

Happy Mother's Day to all the groupie moms out there! :flower3:

a757de78754e6b4b29bba84df0d6f440.jpg

The antics at Whispering Canyon combined with the noise made it less than a desirable meal for me. Now if only they could do something with the acoustics.

At Jambo they play drums every afternoon, which equates to the annoying pool parties many complain about (myself included). When staying in a room right off the lobby, or even just a short distance down the hall the sound comes right through the room door and drives me nuts. They need soundproof doors on these rooms.

WL's and Jambo's large lobbies are very similar, it could be that the complaints are coming from folk staying right off the lobby.

I just sent an email as well. The antics were the entire reason we went. If one does not like it, one does not need to go. I am sure for every one person who complained there are at least 5 who love it.

facebook twitter