VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 14 June 2024

Rumors flying fast and furious these days. Now it's Guaradians of the Galaxy roller coaster coming in to Epcot in place of Ellen. :confused3
Just wish they'd hurry up and finish VWL or at least give out some information on the facilities going up.

Disney continues to befuddle me.

Rumors flying fast and furious these days. Now it's Guaradians of the Galaxy roller coaster coming in to Epcot in place of Ellen. :confused3
Just wish they'd hurry up and finish VWL or at least give out some information on the facilities going up.

Disney these days is chasing the almighty dollar. Artistic considerations take a back seat to the suits who want to squeeze out every dollar they can.

So, Star Wars, The Force Awakens has been released in 3-D. They should have done that from the get-go instead of getting people to spend their money on the blu-ray version without 3-D. Money, money, money.

Disney these days is chasing the almighty dollar. Artistic considerations take a back seat to the suits who want to squeeze out every dollar they can.

I guess I'm the only one who thinks a GotG attraction to replace Ellen would be a big upgrade? I don't know that EPCOT needs a roller coaster but I guess they're trying to make every park appeal to all ages. In any event, we haven't been on Ellen in several trips and a replacement to that attraction would be a good thing.

I'm not sure how Disney's investing in new attractions represents their chasing of the almighty dollar. Yes, they are looking to make more money but if they are upgrading the experience then that's a good thing, isn't it? Unless you are a huge Ellen & Bill Nye fan, I think Universe of Energy has run its course. Just my two cents.

I do agree wholeheartedly that it would be nice for Disney to give us some info about CCV but it appears they're starting to make some progress. If they can get it to a point where they start selling late this year then I'm a little more optimistic about the construction timeline.

So, Star Wars, The Force Awakens has been released in 3-D. They should have done that from the get-go instead of getting people to spend their money on the blu-ray version without 3-D. Money, money, money.

Now THIS is a money grab. Disney is not the only studio who plays this game. But they are very good at it! :sad2:

Does anybody else own a couple of versions of the original Star Wars? haha - George Lucas was also big on that. It is rather annoying though.

I guess I'm the only one who thinks a GotG attraction to replace Ellen would be a big upgrade? I don't know that EPCOT needs a roller coaster but I guess they're trying to make every park appeal to all ages. In any event, we haven't been on Ellen in several trips and a replacement to that attraction would be a good thing.

I'm not sure how Disney's investing in new attractions represents their chasing of the almighty dollar. Yes, they are looking to make more money but if they are upgrading the experience then that's a good thing, isn't it? Unless you are a huge Ellen & Bill Nye fan, I think Universe of Energy has run its course. Just my two cents.

I do agree wholeheartedly that it would be nice for Disney to give us some info about CCV but it appears they're starting to make some progress. If they can get it to a point where they start selling late this year then I'm a little more optimistic about the construction timeline.

Oh, not complaining about Epcot getting a new attraction. My lack of understanding is of the disregard for theming that is going on. For me the question starts coming up as to what really made the Disney parks special vs just another theme park. That particular lightning in a bottle is hard to define but I think the immersion that it gave you as you walked from place to place was definitely part of it and what they are veering away from by throwing up the current flavor of the day attraction into whatever empty or under utilized space they have.

Does anybody else own a couple of versions of the original Star Wars? haha - George Lucas was also big on that. It is rather annoying though.

Oh, not complaining about Epcot getting a new attraction. My lack of understanding is of the disregard for theming that is going on. For me the question starts coming up as to what really made the Disney parks special vs just another theme park. That particular lightning in a bottle is hard to define but I think the immersion that it gave you as you walked from place to place was definitely part of it and what they are veering away from by throwing up the current flavor of the day attraction into whatever empty or under utilized space they have.
To put it another way for me, Disney once seemed to be about theming first, and let the entertainment flow from that immersion. For me, it seems the process is now reversed: find an entertainment property then let's build an attraction around it, and we won't worry if it thematically fits where we put it. That, or we'll shoehorn an attraction into a space regardless if the theming fits. In that regard, they are becoming like other theme parks. Though I like Ellen's ride, I readily admit it's long in the tooth and needs revamping or replacing. . .just not with GotG in the same manner that--for me--Frozen doesn't belong in Norway. Then again, as I've said before, I'm old school. I love coasters; I love exciting rides; I love that Marvel is under the Disney umbrella. Star Wars at DHS? Sure, seems like a great fit. However, I'll never be convinced that Epcot is the right choice for either Marvel or Arendale. Of course, I'll continue to keep going to the World for the foreseeable future, I'm sure. lol

Happy Saturday, Groupies! Five days of school are now history. . .only 165 more to go! Being back in session certainly does make my weekends a bit more special. No big plans here this weekend, though I feel certain a trip to Starbucks and Total Wine is in the picture at some point. Hope everyone has great weather and a superb Sat/Sun!

To put it another way for me, Disney once seemed to be about theming first, and let the entertainment flow from that immersion. For me, it seems the process is now reversed: find an entertainment property then let's build an attraction around it, and we won't worry if it thematically fits where we put it. That, or we'll shoehorn an attraction into a space regardless if the theming fits. In that regard, they are becoming like other theme parks. Though I like Ellen's ride, I readily admit it's long in the tooth and needs revamping or replacing. . .just not with GotG in the same manner that--for me--Frozen doesn't belong in Norway. Then again, as I've said before, I'm old school. I love coasters; I love exciting rides; I love that Marvel is under the Disney umbrella. Star Wars at DHS? Sure, seems like a great fit. However, I'll never be convinced that Epcot is the right choice for either Marvel or Arendale. Of course, I'll continue to keep going to the World for the foreseeable future, I'm sure. lol

Both of you make excellent points, and I better understand your concerns and in fact share them. I guess I'm not as bothered by a Frozen ride in Norway any more than I am concerned about Donald Duck ride in Mexico. But the Frozen ride is, of course, not the end of it with the meet & greet area and almost all the merchandise seems to have Frozen theming. So I get the "takeover" of Norway by Frozen is over the top and will agree with the money grab comments.

I also agree that the parks used to have overall themes and then the "lands" within them had themes. That seems to be pretty much gone with the examples you cite. I wouldn't be surprised if they re-named DHS again since the "working studio" theme has been pretty much obliterated.

I am concerned about "flavor of the day" attractions that may not stand the test of time. I think Frozen has become a classic and won't be quickly forgotten but am more concerned about Avatar and Guardians of the Galaxy theming. I guess we'll see. Thank you both for the additional thoughts on the topic. :)

Both of you make excellent points, and I better understand your concerns and in fact share them. I guess I'm not as bothered by a Frozen ride in Norway any more than I am concerned about Donald Duck ride in Mexico. But the Frozen ride is, of course, not the end of it with the meet & greet area and almost all the merchandise seems to have Frozen theming. So I get the "takeover" of Norway by Frozen is over the top and will agree with the money grab comments.

I also agree that the parks used to have overall themes and then the "lands" within them had themes. That seems to be pretty much gone with the examples you cite. I wouldn't be surprised if they re-named DHS again since the "working studio" theme has been pretty much obliterated.

I am concerned about "flavor of the day" attractions that may not stand the test of time. I think Frozen has become a classic and won't be quickly forgotten but am more concerned about Avatar and Guardians of the Galaxy theming. I guess we'll see. Thank you both for the additional thoughts on the topic. :)
I absolutely agree with you, Tom. I think DHS as a name is gone as soon as they can think of something more inclusive. I'm open to suggestions!
* Disney's Star Wars Land (too reductive)
* Disney's Marvel Comics and Star Wars Universe Land (okay, that's a bit wordy)
* Disney's Movie Marketing Land (snarky, I know)
* Disney's Movie Land (a bit boring but inclusive!)
pirate:

I absolutely agree with you, Tom. I think DHS as a name is gone as soon as they can think of something more inclusive. I'm open to suggestions!
* Disney's Star Wars Land (too reductive)
* Disney's Marvel Comics and Star Wars Universe Land (okay, that's a bit wordy)
* Disney's Movie Marketing Land (snarky, I know)
* Disney's Movie Land (a bit boring but inclusive!)
pirate:

Park #3?

I am with Granny. I would love to see a GoG coaster or anything that would be a draw away from Soarin or TT to handle the crowds. Not sure it's a great fit for Epcot in general but something "big"

As I sat watching the original THE JUNGLE BOOK on TV this afternoon, it struck me that Disney could easily produce a topnotch ride experience based on any number of classic movies, especially given the success of their recent spate of live action remakes, such as TJB. I would much rather go on a ride attached to a classic gem than some attraction based on the latest Marvel characters. Again, I acknowledge that I'm old school and miss much of the classic Disney that first brought me to the Mouse. ;)

Good Monday Morning Groupies! I've been reading and catching up on the thread this AM before getting my day started. We certainly are a passionate group!

Welcome to our new groupies that have found their way over to our little corner of the Dis!

Happy Belated Birthday to DynaGuy!

We enjoyed a Happy 91st Birthday for my mother-in-law yesterday. Found out that my nieces boys are starting school today! And sleepy - you already have 5 days under your belt. Oh my..... We're rural - school doesn't start around here until after Labor Day. Too many of our kids participate in 4-H and have worked all year on their projects. So once the county fairs are done, school will start.

Have a good week!

Any news from Julie?

I grabbed this photo from DVC Mike's site, and it's the first one I've seen with the new pool appearing to be framed out. So maybe they will start work on that pool sooner rather than later?

View attachment 188112

I think a few of the cabins are also under construction on the VWL side...aren't there multiple cabin roof structures also in this picture from the same site?

View attachment 188113
Thanks so much for the info. I hardly ever go on any other sites so this was great info for me. Still hoping to be able to stay at the lodge Aug 2017, but not thinking it will happen. My 12 yr old DD and I were talking about the trip and construction and just as I thought she would say "if the DVC pool isn't there I don't want to stay there".

facebook twitter