VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 14 June 2024

. . . . . . . . After the parade, there was a gigantic fireworks display. We were elbow to elbow on Main Street watching it. . . . . . . . .

DiznyDi & I once watched Wishes standing on Main St. USA in front of Casey's. It was one of those days when the park was at full capacity. We were also elbow to elbow with the crowd. And when the show was over, whether we wanted to or not, we had to turn and start walking toward the front gate. The crowd was so massive, and so intent on leaving, that we could not make our way over to the Emporium. I felt like a cow being herded in the stockyards. It was worse than the crowd we experienced at last year's Osborne Lights, which was unbelievable in and of itself. (I was wondering how someone needing medical attention could get help - very dangerous in my opinion.)

At first I thought that OMG was the highest on your ranking scale until I realized it was just a reaction to my ignorance. :duck:
Okay, what's so funny to me is that as a joke, I DID mean that OMG was the highest of the superlatives! :lmao:Obviously, my punctuation needs work. . .pirate:

I hope all Groupies have a relaxing and enjoyable week-end! Rain in Ohio absolutely ALL week-end.

My wish is the same as DDi's. We are supposed to have rain all weekend plus all next week. After a record 107 (heat index 113) today, all I can say is hurry up rain. We need you!!

Woohoo - hope everyone is having a great weekend! We're just about ready to head out to Vero Beach. So happy the forecast has improved!
:car: :beach: :drinking1 :woohoo:

Checking in with groupies. Took me awhile to catch up on all the posts. We started back to school on Aug. 1st, so I'm back to trying to find time for the DIS boards. So sad that we have no Disney trips planned currently, so that makes reading posts even harder! Sounds like some of you have some exciting trips planned! I'm sad about the parade coming to an end. Would love to know what the replacement will be. Disney does some incredible night shows, so I wonder what they will do? Hope everyone has a great rest of the weekend!

Erin...great to see you as always. We are fortunate to have a couple of trips planned but I can definitely see where it would be hard to read about everyone else's trips if we had a big lull in our trip taking.

We are not big parade people, but I'm sure Disney will fill the hole in the parade schedule vacated by MSEP departure. While it may not be as nostalgically popular as MSEP, I'm sure that it will be well done.

Thanks for stopping by to say hello.

And to all other Groupies, I hope your weekend is going well. :)

Erin...great to see you as always. We are fortunate to have a couple of trips planned but I can definitely see where it would be hard to read about everyone else's trips if we had a big lull in our trip taking.

We are not big parade people, but I'm sure Disney will fill the hole in the parade schedule vacated by MSEP departure. While it may not be as nostalgically popular as MSEP, I'm sure that it will be well done.

Thanks for stopping by to say hello.

And to all other Groupies, I hope your weekend is going well. :)
Along with Granny, I also am happy to see you check in, Erin. Some Groupies only check in once in a while, and that's okay--once a Groupie, always a Groupie. My next trip isn't until May, though Luv is heading to the World in October. Like you, Granny, we don't do a lot of parades anymore, yet I'm still concerned that Disney is gradually, but surely, distancing itself from "classic" Disney to the latest "flavor of the month." The new FROZEN ride in Norway is a good example, as is the whole Star Wars Land construction. As with most things in the world (and World) today, money talks. Thus, if Kylo Ren and Olaf can bring in more visitors than Mickey and Minnie, that's the direction Disney will head. I guess I'm too much of a traditionalist. Have a great rest of your weekend, Groupies! School starts tomorrow here, so my day job just got busier.

Along with Granny, I also am happy to see you check in, Erin. Some Groupies only check in once in a while, and that's okay--once a Groupie, always a Groupie.

yeahthat.gif

My next trip isn't until May, though Luv is heading to the World in October. Like you, Granny, we don't do a lot of parades anymore, yet I'm still concerned that Disney is gradually, but surely, distancing itself from "classic" Disney to the latest "flavor of the month." The new FROZEN ride in Norway is a good example, as is the whole Star Wars Land construction. As with most things in the world (and World) today, money talks. Thus, if Kylo Ren and Olaf can bring in more visitors than Mickey and Minnie, that's the direction Disney will head. I guess I'm too much of a traditionalist.

I think Star Wars land was a must for Disney. Harry Potter was just killing them as far as current franchises go, especially for the teenagers and younger adults. And I guess I'm in the minority but I have to think that the Frozen ride will be an upgrade over the Maelstrom ride that we had passed on the past several trips. Sorry, but to us it was very stale and sorely in need of some updating.

But I do understand that Disney has to strike a balance between nostalgia and progress. That's something that other theme parks don't have to worry about...but I doubt that other theme parks have as many ardent fans with nostalgic memories as the Disney parks. I'm sure that Mickey and Minnie will always be around (until some well-intentioned radical group decides that mice are a horrible symbol for our youth). But I believe that many of the changes (Star Wars Land/Toy Story Land/Avatar Land/New Fantasyland) are a dramatic improvement over what they replaced. I can't imagine how I'd feel about WDW if they made no changes for 10 years and I was still going twice a year in that time span. And unfortunately, to bring in the new often means to sweep out the old. Overall I'd say Disney does a pretty good job with this.

Now when they take out the old without bringing in something new to replace it (can you say Osborne Lights?), then it really stinks.

Have a great rest of your weekend, Groupies! School starts tomorrow here, so my day job just got busier.

To everyone who is starting a new school year as a parent, student, teacher or administrator, thank you for your continuing efforts and we wish you a great school year!

View attachment 187755

I think Star Wars land was a must for Disney. Harry Potter was just killing them as far as current franchises go, especially for the teenagers and younger adults. And I guess I'm in the minority but I have to think that the Frozen ride will be an upgrade over the Maelstrom ride that we had passed on the past several trips. Sorry, but to us it was very stale and sorely in need of some updating.

But I do understand that Disney has to strike a balance between nostalgia and progress. That's something that other theme parks don't have to worry about...but I doubt that other theme parks have as many ardent fans with nostalgic memories as the Disney parks. I'm sure that Mickey and Minnie will always be around (until some well-intentioned radical group decides that mice are a horrible symbol for our youth). But I believe that many of the changes (Star Wars Land/Toy Story Land/Avatar Land/New Fantasyland) are a dramatic improvement over what they replaced. I can't imagine how I'd feel about WDW if they made no changes for 10 years and I was still going twice a year in that time span. And unfortunately, to bring in the new often means to sweep out the old. Overall I'd say Disney does a pretty good job with this.

Now when they take out the old without bringing in something new to replace it (can you say Osborne Lights?), then it really stinks.
I agree with all that you said (though I reserve judgment on FROZEN ride since it doesn't really belong in Epcot)--Disney has it tough to balance the old and the new, to keep things fresh for the current generation while still appealing to all those who made Disney the juggernaut it is. I don't envy them the task, and it's not that I really mind Star Wars Land, et. al., just that the classics seem to get short changed. I believe there is room for it all. Your point about the Osborne Lights truly represents what I mean--surely there was a way to salvage them somewhere, but the decision was made based on dollars, I'd bet. I will miss them this Christmas even though I won't be at the World then. I'm glad Luv and I made it a point to go see them one last time this past January.

Nostalgia is definitely a big part of Disney and the parks for me. Taking away a lot of what they were does not increase the pull for me.

p666882012-2.jpg
p665235915-2.jpg
p918450389-2.jpg

As you can guess I even still like and want to ride the stinky old Autopia! :D

Change is a given and I'm either pleased or at least happy for others with new, well integrated additions that may or may not appeal to me. It's the re-theming of popular or even relatively popular locations to market a "new" attraction that drive me a little bonkers. And closing things with no replacement? :sad2:

I have stayed away because of the construction but on every trip I have visited our favorite place the Lodge.I was looking into booking for next 4th of July trip which will be our 18th year in a row but need to know how how far they will be so I am not looking at full blown construction like now.Any info would be great.

I have stayed away because of the construction but on every trip I have visited our favorite place the Lodge.I was looking into booking for next 4th of July trip which will be our 18th year in a row but need to know how how far they will be so I am not looking at full blown construction like now.Any info would be great.

It's mostly guesses at this point but many are thinking it will be the end of the year before they are finished and crossing fingers it won't go into 2018. I know I'd hope that any work requiring heavy equipment would be done by July but I don't have any particular reason to think that it will be that far yet as most indicators are that the pool will be the last thing to be completed.

Happy birthday, TammyNC!:cake:

Good to get the report that Ohio had rain this weekend. We are in NJ and no rain, but lots of heat!

Tom and I very much enjoy the new Soarin, and we'll be seeing FEA in September. The Frozen Sing along in DHS is a must do for us, at least once every trip! Of course we'll miss Osborn Lights a lot!! We bought the Passholders shirts that declare "it's a wrap" so we have momentos but it was sad to see them go. I think we went at least 3 times just before they left. The icy lights on the castle at MK are fabulous, they were not always there.

Hi all! Just wanted to share my excitement once again...I'm at my 21 day mark...so excited I can hardly contain myself LOL....This trip for my DH and I is a much needed trip....taking care of my elderly, sick 86 year old parents is really stressful. My brothers told me to go and they will take care of everything!!! Please say a quick prayer that all will work out for me!!

Nostalgia is definitely a big part of Disney and the parks for me. Taking away a lot of what they were does not increase the pull for me.

p666882012-2.jpg
p665235915-2.jpg
p918450389-2.jpg

As you can guess I even still like and want to ride the stinky old Autopia! :D

Change is a given and I'm either pleased or at least happy for others with new, well integrated additions that may or may not appeal to me. It's the re-theming of popular or even relatively popular locations to market a "new" attraction that drive me a little bonkers. And closing things with no replacement? :sad2:

Kathy...thanks for the photos. Is that you with Donald? Those pictures must have been taken in the very early years of WDW!

For those who enjoy some nostalgia, DVC Mike just posted some old clips on his site. Unfortunately, this site is blocking any links to his site. :sad2:

facebook twitter