VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

I've seen many posts recently on the use of the kitchen verses eating out. To me it sounds as though the majority of folk like the kitchen just for the large refrigerator.
I actually enjoy shopping and cooking on vacation. I will splurge on items I don't usually cook at home with time constraints on my day, and know I'm still saving money by doing so. The health factor also plays well into my reasoning for doing so. The allergy friendly menus are built for the common denominator allergens, which are on another planet from me.

Am I alone in cooking in more times than not? We do plan several eat out meals and of course use quick service simply for convenience in the parks.
We rarely eat at the parks anymore - just too expensive for the quality. For our week long May trip - I have 3 TS ADRs total. We always have our car - so we hit the grocery store on the way down - the majority of our meals we'll either cook in our villa or eat off site and bring home our leftovers to reheat for lunch the next day. We love the convenience and savings of the 1 bedroom kitchen. Also - we're not very big eaters nor 'foodies' at all (ie - neither of us like seafood) - so we prefer to prepare our own meals..then - when I splurge on a big ol' cupcake at the parks - I don't feel too guilty!

I've seen many posts recently on the use of the kitchen verses eating out. To me it sounds as though the majority of folk like the kitchen just for the large refrigerator.
I actually enjoy shopping and cooking on vacation. I will splurge on items I don't usually cook at home with time constraints on my day, and know I'm still saving money by doing so. The health factor also plays well into my reasoning for doing so. The allergy friendly menus are built for the common denominator allergens, which are on another planet from me.

Am I alone in cooking in more times than not? We do plan several eat out meals and of course use quick service simply for convenience in the parks.

When it comes to cooking during our WDW vacations, my wife looked at me and said, "If I have to cook, it's not a vacation to me." Thus, we don't cook on vacations. We try to bring protein bars for breakfast or we'll buy some cereal and milk to do breakfast. Otherwise, we dine out.

Breakfast is about as much cooking as we do. :) Actually, I say we loosely because it really would be me and well, like Toni thinks, it's my vacation too and cooking if I don't have to isn't vacationing. But still, it takes care of one meal. Otherwise we also gravitate more towards the QS than TS although I'll throw a couple of those in although they do often get cancelled.

Last edited:
Good afternoon all. I've been lurking here for a few months just reading. My wife and kids and I are enormous WL fans. We've stayed at The Lodge about 7 times, and the Villas twice. I am very excited to say that we just purchased a VWL resale DVC contract. 175 points, October use year. We are very excited. Just waiting on Disney's ROFR to go through. Should be about another 20 days or so, hopefully sooner. Best to all.

Seth

Good afternoon all. I've been lurking here for a few months just reading. My wife and kids and I are enormous WL fans. We've stayed at The Lodge about 7 times, and the Villas twice. I am very excited to say that we just purchased a VWL resale DVC contract. 175 points, October use year. We are very excited. Just waiting on Disney's ROFR to go through. Should be about another 20 days or so, hopefully sooner. Best to all.

Seth

Welcome Seth and congratulations on your contract! Hope that ROFR goes quickly and you can get planning on using your points!!!

Just had a great meal at Morimoto Asia! I had the Kua Pang Chicken(a bit hot but tasty), T had the Beef Noodle Bowl, very good and very similar to same dish at Kona, and Capt. D had the ribs and it was very good, best thing we had. I would go again.

As for eating out, we still enjoy ADRs at particular places. 50s, San Angel, Rose n Crown to name a few. But we like to try different places too. We have cooked a few times in the past, but, I feel like Tammy does that enough at home, so I dont mention that!!

Headed over to MK in a few, parking at the Lodge, then after TOTWL tonight, may try to swing back to try Geyser Pt.

Seth
Welcome home, Seth! Yep, that means both VWL and our Groupie home here! I know you still have to go through ROFR, but I'm being optimistic--I think the odds are on your side. One thing I already noticed is that you called your new home, VWL. That's a winner in my book! pirate: However, there is no ROFR process for the Groupies thread, so we hope you'll visit us often--our only requisite is a love of the Lodge and, obviously, you do. If you've read Page 1, you'll notice we keep track of trips, birthdays, and anniversaries. No need to let us in on any of these, but if you're a mind to do so, just drop me a PM for the former or KAT4DISNEY for the latter. This shout out goes to any new Groupies (or lurkers!) 'cause we have plenty of rockers and spittoons for all. Grab a libation on the way!

As for the cooking issue, that's why DVC can work for a wide variety. Some like to wash clothes to keep them fresh and pack less. Others don't want to mess with laundry. Same goes for cooking. We cook 98% of our meals at home and enjoy doing so, thus cooking isn't a huge deal for us. But, I do understand that many do not enjoy the task while on vacation.

Last edited:
Just had a great meal at Morimoto Asia! I had the Kua Pang Chicken(a bit hot but tasty), T had the Beef Noodle Bowl, very good and very similar to same dish at Kona, and Capt. D had the ribs and it was very good, best thing we had. I would go again.

As for eating out, we still enjoy ADRs at particular places. 50s, San Angel, Rose n Crown to name a few. But we like to try different places too. We have cooked a few times in the past, but, I feel like Tammy does that enough at home, so I dont mention that!!

Headed over to MK in a few, parking at the Lodge, then after TOTWL tonight, may try to swing back to try Geyser Pt.
We've been twice to MA and enjoyed it both times! If you can believe it, we usually ask for the dishes to be amped up with spices as we do prefer them on the spicy side. Let us know how Geyser Point is. :thumbsup2

Breakfast is about as much cooking as we do. :) Actually, I say we loosely because it really would be me and well, like Toni thinks, it's my vacation too and cooking if I don't have to isn't vacationing. But still, it takes care of one meal. Otherwise we also gravitate more towards the QS than TS although I'll throw a couple of those in although they do often get cancelled.
I never cook at home - The Hubs does all the cooking...so cooking breakfast at the Villa together is kind of a nice change for us.

Welcome Seth! Hope ROFR passes quickly and you can start vacation planning soon.

We always grab groceries, but it's mostly just breakfast foods and snack junk. Breakfast is cereal bars, pop tarts, stuff that we can just grab and head out the door. I don't cook on vacation( don't really even want to do it at home). I don't mind it when I'm off work in the summer, but some days when I get home from school and all these people keep asking me what's for supper, I feel compelled to come up with something! We make very few ADRs anymore. As a family of 5 on most trips, I just look at the Disney prices and cringe. We mostly do counter service and wander offsite for a good steak somewhere. I think on our last one week trip, we maybe had 3 ADRs. Back in the day when our kids were under 10, we'd get the dining plan and have an ADR everyday. Maybe someday when it's just DH and I, I'll catch up on some places I would like to try again.

. . . . . . the food should always be excellent.

The company you keep can always upgrade the food experience!

. . . . . . . . Am I alone in cooking in more times than not? . . . . . . . . .

When it comes to cooking during our WDW vacations, my wife looked at me and said, "If I have to cook, it's not a vacation to me." . . . . . . .

And as that old story I have related in the past a number of times, one member of the Groupies (to remain nameless) once said when asked about any recipes she could share for villa cooking, "*/@#, I don't cook at home, why would I cook on Vacation?"

And Yeah, the one bedroom villas are great. That way none of you will find me in the hallway in my socks and PJs going for ice . . . . the rest of the stuff in the kitchen is for show.

Had a great time at MK! Then moseyed over to TOTWL to see Wishes one last time. Ended up having appetizers there, so didn't make it back to Geyser Pt after all. I think at the point we were at TOTWL, our tummies were screaming "feed me" so we gave in:D

With all the construction going on, it didn't seem WL was lacking in folks staying there. The pool was the most crowded I have ever seen it. And all the while, saws were running in the background. OTW back off the boat, lights were on in the new villas of the wing facing the pool, and I could see pictures on the walls. Those units are way too light in color for a wilderness theme. On a happy note, the music was still playing the same familiar tunes:-)

Today is our final day at WDW, but headed to Epcot, lunch at Rose N Crown(speaking of, we met Stephen Twining of Twinings of London Tea Co this past Sun., very nice and cordial man, and very proud statesman). Then we have a FP for Soarin and LWTL before heading to a Braves Tigers game at WWOS. After game we are heading back to Brad n Tearsa's in Clermont.

Seth

:welcome:

You bought a fabulous DVC property and you found the friendliest bunch on the DIS! Well done! Hope ROFR goes well. I remember the waiting time very well, I was sooo nervous!

As to cooking: I always have plans of doing it when we stay in a one bedroom, but then I never get around to actually do it. Part of it is that I really don't want to go out and buy salt, pepper, sugar, spices, oil etc. The basic stuff I always have in the kitchen but which would not be in my DVC villa. But we often use the kitchen for heating leftovers and have meals that way. That is one thing that I like about the villas: If I cannot finish my meal, I can at least bring the leftovers with me and have them another day. My partner does not mind carrying stuff, so we even had slices of pizza travelling through Epcot with us for half a day (in December, not so sure if I would do it in July...).

The RAT is only showing one Studio category for booking. I'd assume that will transfer over to the booking tool also. So DVC does not get the guarantee, it will be a request.

And for anyone thinking of switching that first week of December it's already missing days in a studio. All other room types are still available at the moment.
Can one check availability for points bookings yet?

Short story, long: a DVC owner friend finally decided on Oct dates and tried to book at GF (her home resort) along with a few others, last week and many resorts were booked (they are looking for a 1 bedroom). They ended up at AKL but she doesn't really prefer that because she feels it is too out of the way. I mentioned CCV as an option but of course that isn't bookable for points yet, so she is anxiously awaiting the booking date. If she can check availability, that will allow her to know if there is a point to even trying.

Can one check availability for points bookings yet?

Short story, long: a DVC owner friend finally decided on Oct dates and tried to book at GF (her home resort) along with a few others, last week and many resorts were booked (they are looking for a 1 bedroom). They ended up at AKL but she doesn't really prefer that because she feels it is too out of the way. I mentioned CCV as an option but of course that isn't bookable for points yet, so she is anxiously awaiting the booking date. If she can check availability, that will allow her to know if there is a point to even trying.
For what it's worth, when I went online to use the resort availability tool, CCVC didn't show up as an option at all in October. Haven't tried other months, but I'd be surprised if the new resort is showing up outside of October, either.

For what it's worth, when I went online to use the resort availability tool, CCVC didn't show up as an option at all in October. Haven't tried other months, but I'd be surprised if the new resort is showing up outside of October, either.
Thanks!

My good "friend" CodeSpyder has a new iOS app called Pressed Coins-WDW. It shows the location of every coin machine within Walt Disney World and the surrounding area, such as EarPort at MCO, for example. One can search for machines by area, user location, etc. One can also search for coins specifically by name in title, etc. So, if you want that 'Meeko' coin, but don't know where to find it, it will tell you which machine it's in and where it's located. All of the machine and coin data is located in iCloud, but you don't have to have an iCloud account to access it. You can also save coin data, but you would need an iCloud account for that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter