• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

Need some prayers from my groupies. I have had some issues in the last couple of weeks, as I tell the doctors, it sometimes feels like an elephant is sitting on my chest. Not that bad all the time, but uncomfortable at times.
Anyway, I have been sent to a cardiologist and will be facing a stress test next month. The nuclear one not the treadmill since I have the bone issue in my legs. I will admit I am a little nervous. I will keep y'all informed.

thoughts and prayers coming your way

I was just told by Disney Dining that it was 180 days out for dining, but only for that day, and 30 days out for FastPass+.
Yeah, it's 180 days. I just confirmed by trying to make a dining reservation on the WDW website. The calendar dates ended after August 24.
Yup - 6 months - just for that 1 day- then tomorrow you can make a reservation for the next day - etc

Ah...you work in a school, then? I am a first grade teacher. This has been a rough week. The kids had Monday off (teacher workday for us) then early release Wed and Thurs for parent-teacher conferences. You'd think less days/time would be good but it throws the students off so much, they are just out of whack! And the conferences just exhaust me. Oh and I had 7 out one day. So many sick kids......
Our system operates on four, 9-week sessions, and at the end of the first and third 9 weeks, we do a week-long remediation for those students needing such. Following that week, the kids get the next week off entirely; thus, some students get a 2-week break both times. With all the illnesses, we had teachers (including subs) and students staying away in droves. Like you, when the students have a different schedule than they're used to following, it does throw them off. I'm generally a "take them as they come" type of personality when it comes to work situations, especially since I spent 21+ years in the military where the norm is rarely the norm. This past week, though, had me cheering and wishing for the break week. I still work as I'm a 12-month employee, but it will be sans teachers, students, and hopefully all the bugs they've been harboring.

ErinC: Yes, you will find like minds and hearts here. I will say I'm not bitter about losing trees and serenity, but it's fair to say that no matter how beautiful the changes will be--and the GP area looks very nice, admittedly--I will remain sad to see reduced or disappear what I loved so dearly. And. It will always be V-W-L to me. ;)

Last edited:
Our system operates on four, 9-week sessions, and at the end of the first and third 9 weeks, we do a week-long remediation for those students needing such. Following that week, the kids get the next week off entirely; thus, some students get a 2-week break both times. . . .

Wow, that sounds like punishment for the kids that aren't smart enough. But that just is me thinking as a kid. I have special place in my heart for anyone willing to be a teacher these days. As it always amazes me how it is the only the teachers fault when kids fail, I still don't get it.

Wow, that sounds like punishment for the kids that aren't smart enough. But that just is me thinking as a kid. I have special place in my heart for anyone willing to be a teacher these days. As it always amazes me how it is the only the teachers fault when kids fail, I still don't get it.
The thinking goes, and is so far successful, that by offering the remediation twice during the year, it will keep those kids falling behind from getting further behind and is also designed to reduce the summer school rate. It's not as onerous as it sounds since the remediation is only 8-12 followed by lunch then an afternoon of enrichment activities, everything from cooking classes, to swimming at our rec center, to visiting downtown businesses, to learning dance, et. al. The afternoon activities are not required. All students get that second week off. We also have a federal grant that allows us to have a vibrant after-school study/enrichment program which further exists to help those kids who lack the support at home to ensure they get homework or projects done away from school. Yes, it is rarely Johnny's or Janie's fault anymore--it's the teachers, the principals, the system, the "other" kids who badly influence Johnny/Janie, etc.

Just venting a bit, but here's a situation that just occurred this week. Student A (can do work but is absent a lot and not supported at home) was sick the entire week before last week, though only two days were covered by an doctor's or parental excuse. Didn't show on day 1 of remediation last week, so principal called dad who said he'd be there the next day. Student didn't show the next two days, and then mom calls to say he's still sick from the week before. :rolleyes1 I mention that it's very likely the student would wind up being required to come to summer school. She hangs up and 45 minutes later the student is miraculously healed and shows up. The student is subsequently checked out before the end of the remediation period, and though he shows up on time the final day, is again checked out early. So, when the student inevitably winds up having to come to summer school and/or is held back, it will somehow be our fault. Teachers' and administrators' jobs are so much tougher because of non-caring parents. I teach all the students who come into the office how to request things properly, with manners and respect. Sadly, their examples are their parents who rarely practice those same skills. Okay, enough whining!

We had 60s the past three days but today is a much different story--high around 45. Still, that's appropriate for the season and it isn't icing or snowing. Spring is coming. . .:flower:

Sending prayers Kathy:hug:

If I may also request prayers for my cousin, who is once again battling cancer. He is having surgery later this week.

Our system operates on four, 9-week sessions, and at the end of the first and third 9 weeks, we do a week-long remediation for those students needing such. Following that week, the kids get the next week off entirely; thus, some students get a 2-week break both times. With all the illnesses, we had teachers (including subs) and students staying away in droves. Like you, when the students have a different schedule than they're used to following, it does throw them off. I'm generally a "take them as they come" type of personality when it comes to work situations, especially since I spent 21+ years in the military where the norm is rarely the norm. This past week, though, had me cheering and wishing for the break week. I still work as I'm a 12-month employee, but it will be sans teachers, students, and hopefully all the bugs they've been harboring.

ErinC: Yes, you will find like minds and hearts here. I will say I'm not bitter about losing trees and serenity, but it's fair to say that no matter how beautiful the changes will be--and the GP area looks very nice, admittedly--I will remain sad to see reduced or disappear what I loved so dearly. And. It will always be V-W-L to me. ;)
I wish we had a schedule like that. Some school systems in GA do, but not ours. I wish we had a more year round schedule with more time off during the school year.

OK - DATA .... hope you can use it.

Today, Sandy and I RENEWED our DVC qualified APs. We RENEWED from Platinum to Gold. The Main Website will not let you do this - CALL DVC.

Net effect: two GOLD AP RENEWALS that take effect 4-28-2017 set us back $1011.26. And yes, we got the 13 month Gold AP, as a RENEWAL.
Renewal of Platinum would have been $707 x 2 = $1414.

Caveats: We are DVC members that bought DIRECTLY from Disney. We saved a good $400 per year by agreeing to NOT go during the periods that we would NOT go anyway (crowded, bad flying weather from MI).

We are very pleased.

The thinking goes, and is so far successful, that by offering the remediation twice during the year, it will keep those kids falling behind from getting further behind and is also designed to reduce the summer school rate. It's not as onerous as it sounds since the remediation is only 8-12 followed by lunch then an afternoon of enrichment activities, everything from cooking classes, to swimming at our rec center, to visiting downtown businesses, to learning dance, et. al. The afternoon activities are not required. All students get that second week off. We also have a federal grant that allows us to have a vibrant after-school study/enrichment program which further exists to help those kids who lack the support at home to ensure they get homework or projects done away from school. Yes, it is rarely Johnny's or Janie's fault anymore--it's the teachers, the principals, the system, the "other" kids who badly influence Johnny/Janie, etc.

Just venting a bit, but here's a situation that just occurred this week. Student A (can do work but is absent a lot and not supported at home) was sick the entire week before last week, though only two days were covered by an doctor's or parental excuse. Didn't show on day 1 of remediation last week, so principal called dad who said he'd be there the next day. Student didn't show the next two days, and then mom calls to say he's still sick from the week before. :rolleyes1 I mention that it's very likely the student would wind up being required to come to summer school. She hangs up and 45 minutes later the student is miraculously healed and shows up. The student is subsequently checked out before the end of the remediation period, and though he shows up on time the final day, is again checked out early. So, when the student inevitably winds up having to come to summer school and/or is held back, it will somehow be our fault. Teachers' and administrators' jobs are so much tougher because of non-caring parents. I teach all the students who come into the office how to request things properly, with manners and respect. Sadly, their examples are their parents who rarely practice those same skills. Okay, enough whining!

We had 60s the past three days but today is a much different story--high around 45. Still, that's appropriate for the season and it isn't icing or snowing. Spring is coming. . .:flower:

Sleepy,

I hear you about these challenges faced by teachers. We had heard so much similar stuff we opted to send our daughter to private Catholic school (and we aren't Catholic, but we wanted engaged parents and a less disrupted classroom). On the whole it has worked out pretty good, but of course now the question becomes how far do you take it? Elementary was only $4500 / year , Middle will only be about $5000, but high school-- $10k minimum....yikes...

Sleepy,

I hear you about these challenges faced by teachers. We had heard so much similar stuff we opted to send our daughter to private Catholic school (and we aren't Catholic, but we wanted engaged parents and a less disrupted classroom). On the whole it has worked out pretty good, but of course now the question becomes how far do you take it? Elementary was only $4500 / year , Middle will only be about $5000, but high school-- $10k minimum....yikes...
Yes, the eternal question regarding education. Not an issue here as we are a small, rural area without the benefit of a private school option. Our area doesn't prize education as it used to be a factory town and still is to some extent. Only 70% of the adult population has a high school degree. Despite the demise of most of the factories and trade jobs, in general, folks still don't believe education is important. We push hard and have dedicated teachers and staff, yet it is an uphill battle.

Sending prayers Kathy:hug:

If I may also request prayers for my cousin, who is once again battling cancer. He is having surgery later this week.
Kathy -been thinking about you all weekend - and now will add Your cousin Corinne to my prayers.

OK - DATA .... hope you can use it.

Today, Sandy and I RENEWED our DVC qualified APs. We RENEWED from Platinum to Gold. The Main Website will not let you do this - CALL DVC.

Net effect: two GOLD AP RENEWALS that take effect 4-28-2017 set us back $1011.26. And yes, we got the 13 month Gold AP, as a RENEWAL.
Renewal of Platinum would have been $707 x 2 = $1414.

Caveats: We are DVC members that bought DIRECTLY from Disney. We saved a good $400 per year by agreeing to NOT go during the periods that we would NOT go anyway (crowded, bad flying weather from MI).

We are very pleased.
Dean, we feel the same:cloud9:

Praying for you Kathy as you prepare for your appointment with the cardiologist and undergo your stress test. (Hi to Kati :wave2:)

Prayers for your cousin, Corrine. Cancer can be wicked.

Sending lots of good wishes to Kathy and Corrine's cousin!!

I can report back from my first visit to Geysir Point Bar & Grill. I was in Florida for the last 10 days and managed a short stop at the Lodge (and then the Moonlight Magic DVC party at the MK, which was awesome).

The area is very nicely done and really integrates well with the existing buildings in my opinion. However, with Roaring Forks closed, this place was absolutely overwhelmed. First, there is not nearly enough seating. The comfy chairs look lovely, but take up a lot of space and there are very few real tables. The weather was perfect on Friday, so we sat at one of the tables behind the former pool bar, which are still very close to the new one as well.

We ordered food from the counter service window and we all really liked the food we got. The gfod is served on reusable plates which are made out of some kind of plastic. I think it is the type that is made from bamboo, I have seen it in other products. It has a not totally smooth surface and therefore when you use your utensils on it, there is a bit of a scratchy sound. I am not so sure about how much I like this. But I LOVE the fact that you get real plates AND real utensils that come wrapped in a cloth napkin!! Makes for such a fantastic dining experience.

When you order you get a number to put on your plate and then a runner brings the food to you. The issue was that on Friday evening it was far too busy and it took ages to get our food. When we inquired after over half an hour about how long it would take and they immediately offered to refund our food and brought it out very quickly afterwards (so we ended up eating there for free). I heard them offering refunds to other people as well. Seems like do have some capacity issues there. Might not have been smart to immediately close RF just when this new place is still trying to work out a system. Of course this past weekend was totally crazy at WDW with the Princess Half Marathon, so that did not improve things.

It appears that there is some kind of shield that they can lower between the wooden beams, but to me it does not look like the bar area itself can be enclosed for sitting there, those shields look more like they are to close it down when not in operation. Also, the line for waiting for ordering is not under cover at all.

I asked about AP discount and we got the same 20% for our food there as we did get at RF.

Sending lots of good wishes to Kathy and Corrine's cousin!!

I can report back from my first visit to Geysir Point Bar & Grill. I was in Florida for the last 10 days and managed a short stop at the Lodge (and then the Moonlight Magic DVC party at the MK, which was awesome).

The area is very nicely done and really integrates well with the existing buildings in my opinion. However, with Roaring Forks closed, this place was absolutely overwhelmed. First, there is not nearly enough seating. The comfy chairs look lovely, but take up a lot of space and there are very few real tables. The weather was perfect on Friday, so we sat at one of the tables behind the former pool bar, which are still very close to the new one as well.

We ordered food from the counter service window and we all really liked the food we got. The gfod is served on reusable plates which are made out of some kind of plastic. I think it is the type that is made from bamboo, I have seen it in other products. It has a not totally smooth surface and therefore when you use your utensils on it, there is a bit of a scratchy sound. I am not so sure about how much I like this. But I LOVE the fact that you get real plates AND real utensils that come wrapped in a cloth napkin!! Makes for such a fantastic dining experience.

When you order you get a number to put on your plate and then a runner brings the food to you. The issue was that on Friday evening it was far too busy and it took ages to get our food. When we inquired after over half an hour about how long it would take and they immediately offered to refund our food and brought it out very quickly afterwards (so we ended up eating there for free). I heard them offering refunds to other people as well. Seems like do have some capacity issues there. Might not have been smart to immediately close RF just when this new place is still trying to work out a system. Of course this past weekend was totally crazy at WDW with the Princess Half Marathon, so that did not improve things.

It appears that there is some kind of shield that they can lower between the wooden beams, but to me it does not look like the bar area itself can be enclosed for sitting there, those shields look more like they are to close it down when not in operation. Also, the line for waiting for ordering is not under cover at all.

I asked about AP discount and we got the same 20% for our food there as we did get at RF.

Thanks for the report Flossy! Your reports on Geyser Point are more or less what I expected/feared. The available seating did not appear to have a large count. Big chairs (and I'm sure comfy) but where would all the counter service people sit. I guess Disney figured they'd take to the pools? Hopefully after Roaring Fork reopens and the newness wears off it'll improve.

Great report, Flossy! Like KAT, I had my fears about the actual capacity of the eatery to start, and your comments mirror my thoughts. However, I do think once the new pool is open, and more especially, RF re-opens, the wait time should decrease. I'm still feeling apprehensive about the new pool and its effect on the overall serenity of the resort. Nothing I've seen so far assuages my concerns.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter