VWL Bike and Boat Rental

nezy

DIS Veteran
We will be going to VWL next week as well is in October and are planning on some resort days. I am thinking of renting bikes. Can we ride over to Wilderness camp grounds and get lunch? Also thinking of boat rental. The Montauk boats say it can accommodate six. Can you only ride in Bay Lake or can you go to another Bay Lake resort and visit like the Poly or Contemporary? (I would think not.)
I was also looking at the tubing( at Contemporary) for my nephews, but I am curious about physically being in that water...is it safe/clean? How deep is the water in the areas of tubing? Does anyone have any experience with these activities?

Any other activities. My BIL will be with me in October and he likes to be entertained...me I can sit by the pool ALL DAY! I want to at least give him some suggestions for him and his sons (ages 9 and 7), like the boats, maybe fishing, bikes. Just wondering anyone's experiences.

So excitied!

Can we ride over to Wilderness camp grounds and get lunch?
Currently the path from WL to FW is closed, believed for the construction of Reflections. So with that being said the bike rentals at WL are not operating right now. Though you can boat/bus to FW and rent bikes there.
The Montauk boats say it can accommodate six. Can you only ride in Bay Lake or can you go to another Bay Lake resort and visit like the Poly or Contemporary?
The Mantauk is stated to be restricted to the waterway in which they are rented. I believe this means WL and CR would be restricted to Bay Lake and Poly/GF would be restricted to Seven Seas Lagoon. As for docking at other resorts to visit, this isn't something that can be done. The boat is meant only for cruising around the lake.
I was also looking at the tubing( at Contemporary) for my nephews, but I am curious about physically being in that water...is it safe/clean? How deep is the water in the areas of tubing? Does anyone have any experience with these activities?
Did someone take over for Sammy Duvall's that closed summer 2018? I wasn't aware they did. As for your questions years ago I did that stuff and it seemed perfectly fine.
Any other activities. My BIL will be with me in October and he likes to be entertained...me I can sit by the pool ALL DAY! I want to at least give him some suggestions for him and his sons (ages 9 and 7), like the boats, maybe fishing, bikes. Just wondering anyone's experiences.
I would go post on the Camping Forum and ask them for all the activities at FW. There is horseback riding, segway tour, archery lesson, golf cart rentals (though hard to get), biking, Chip and Dale campfire sing along, etc. You'll find a lot of activities at FW.

We will be going to VWL next week as well is in October and are planning on some resort days. I am thinking of renting bikes. Can we ride over to Wilderness camp grounds and get lunch? Also thinking of boat rental. The Montauk boats say it can accommodate six. Can you only ride in Bay Lake or can you go to another Bay Lake resort and visit like the Poly or Contemporary? (I would think not.)

Any other activities. My BIL will be with me in October and he likes to be entertained...me I can sit by the pool ALL DAY! I want to at least give him some suggestions for him and his sons (ages 9 and 7), like the boats, maybe fishing, bikes. Just wondering anyone's experiences.!

The Montauk is really a fishing boat. You'd be a lot more comfortable in a pontoon if you aren't going to fish. The pontoon boats can use the water bridge and pass between bay lake and 7 seas lagoon. There are restricted areas (like around the entrance to MK, the dedicated ski area, and where the ferry boats dock), but there is a map bolted to the helm of the boat that tells you were you can go in that kind of boat. There are also security people in boats near all the restricted areas, who will waive you off it you get too close.

Sammy Duvall's offered tubing and water skiing in a dedicated area of Bay Lake, using boats outfitted for that purpose. The standard boats you can rent and drive yourself at WDW are not powerful enough to tube or water ski behind (most engines are 9.9hp). The water is clean enough for water sports, and actually clean enough to swim in, but there are those pesky alligators near shore (the alligators give boats a wide berth, so it's safe to tube and ski).

You cannot dock your rented boat at any dock other than the one from which you rented. You also cannot land on any of the islands and leave the boat (the person who sent us off mentioned "lifetime ban from WDW" if we set foot on discovery island).

:worship:First of all, I am impressed at your wealth of information.
You definitely gave me some info that I did not know, namely:
WHAT? SAMMY DUVALL'S CLOSED?? I had no idea. I am so glad my kids and I at least got to experience the para sailing a few years back. Hopefully something else will open in it's place. But probably not.
Second, I did not even think or frankly realize that Reflections was already in process. Looking forward to that one when it is complete.
Makes sense that the boats are restricted to more localized waters.

I will look at Campgrounds for some activity ideas too. Do you know how early the boats run from VWL to the Campgrounds?

Thank you so much!

The Montauk is really a fishing boat. You'd be a lot more comfortable in a pontoon if you aren't going to fish. The pontoon boats can use the water bridge and pass between bay lake and 7 seas lagoon. There are restricted areas (like around the entrance to MK, the dedicated ski area, and where the ferry boats dock), but there is a map bolted to the helm of the boat that tells you were you can go in that kind of boat. There are also security people in boats near all the restricted areas, who will waive you off it you get too close.

Sammy Duvall's offered tubing and water skiing in a dedicated area of Bay Lake, using boats outfitted for that purpose. The standard boats you can rent and drive yourself at WDW are not powerful enough to tube or water ski behind (most engines are 9.9hp). The water is clean enough for water sports, and actually clean enough to swim in, but there are those pesky alligators near shore (the alligators give boats a wide berth, so it's safe to tube and ski).

You cannot dock your rented boat at any dock other than the one from which you rented. You also cannot land on any of the islands and leave the boat (the person who sent us off mentioned "lifetime ban from WDW" if we set foot on discovery island).
I do not want a lifetime ban! lol.
I was thinking the Montauk might be tight and if it is a fishing boat that will not be a good idea at all. I will look into the pontoons. 30 min. does not seem like enough time. how long did you rent?

There is also a tour of the WL that is offered Wed-Sat at 9AM, it is free. It is timed to end at Fire Rock Geyser at eruption.

There is also a tour of the WL that is offered Wed-Sat at 9AM, it is free. It is timed to end at Fire Rock Geyser at eruption.
My nephews might like that! me too.

Does the tour discuss the different layers of the fireplace and other aspects of the architecture of the building?
Maybe the hidden mickeys too.

My nephews might like that! me too.

Does the tour discuss the different layers of the fireplace and other aspects of the architecture of the building?
Maybe the hidden mickeys too.
I personally haven't done it yet, on my radar for my next trip to WL. However, my understanding is it covers the architecture of the Lodge and it's general history. My guess is they will cover hidden Mickeys too, though the front desk I believe has a scavenger hunt type sheet for Hidden Mickeys too.

This an older review of the tour, I'm sure it is a bit different with Copper Creek being added into the mix but my guess is the vibe is still very much similar.
https://touringplans.com/blog/2012/02/17/free-tour-series-wonders-of-the-wilderness-lodge/

I do not want a lifetime ban! lol.
I was thinking the Montauk might be tight and if it is a fishing boat that will not be a good idea at all. I will look into the pontoons. 30 min. does not seem like enough time. how long did you rent?

The last time we rented a 24' pontoon with a 9.9hp engine. We cruised from Contemporary to WL to FW, then looped back towards WL to get a close up look at the WL Cabins (then under construction), then over the water bridge to 7 seas lagoon. There we cruised by the Grand Floridian, Wedding Pavilion, Poly, and around the island in front of the Poly to the "dart or die cross over between the ferry boats" to get back to the water bridge and then back to the Contemporary dock. The water bridge was the hairiest part, since the larger ferry boats do not yield. We had the boat about an hour. With our DVC discount, it was very inexpensive.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter