Volcano roller coaster coming to Magic Kingdom ?

Spaceguy55

Work is a 4 letter word
On a recent episode of The Disney Dish podcast, industry insider and media juggernaut Jim Hill shared details of a project currently being tossed around at Disney that would involve dusting off the "shovel-ready" volcano coaster.

http://www.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/...oint-to-a-new-volcano-coming-to-magic-kingdom

there has been chatter on various Disney World message boards in recent months regarding the project. Most of this chatter began when height balloons were spotted behind the Jungle Cruise area in Adventureland in mid-March.

According to Hill, Disney is now looking to bring the dormant volcano-themed attraction to life along the shore of Seven Seas Lagoon with guest access from inside Adventureland and a possible Moana tie-in.

The ride system for the volcano-based Fire Mountain attraction has changed over the years. At one point, the coaster was designed to be a flying coaster similar to Manta. With a height limit well over a foot higher than that of Big Thunder Mountain, using the flying coaster would limit the family appeal of the attraction. It’s likely that in the current pitches Disney is keeping the volcano show building, while updating the majority of the ride inside. The demonic volcano from Moana would be featured prominently, according to those sharing details on the new attraction.

Good god. Fire Mountain returns. Again. In talking about a never-ending ride rumor, is this the longest standing one available? And how did it take this long for someone to tie it to Moana and regurgitate it? Has Disney ever moved to start a ride concept less than 6 months after a movie was released? FEA took almost a full year, and that was a much bigger movie with a much less expensive ride concept.

Good god. Fire Mountain returns. Again. In talking about a never-ending ride rumor, is this the longest standing one available? And how did it take this long for someone to tie it to Moana and regurgitate it? Has Disney ever moved to start a ride concept less than 6 months after a movie was released? FEA took almost a full year, and that was a much bigger movie with a much less expensive ride concept.

I know...I know...it is a tad unbelievable...

Like the avatar "fanbase" ;)

Has Disney ever moved to start a ride concept less than 6 months after a movie was released? FEA took almost a full year, and that was a much bigger movie with a much less expensive ride concept.

I don't believe this rumor, but the Coco to mexico rumors seem to be given some credibility and those started probably a year ago and the movie isnt even out yet.

They do have the Jouney to the Center of the Earth ride at Tokyo Disneysea they could copy from... that one is awesome and the volcano actually shoots fire.

With WDW turning 50 in 2021, I do see them adding another attraction to MK. And to be quite honest I new make over and E ticket attraction for adventure land would be well over due. Jungle Cruise takes up most of Adventure Land and I wouldn't be too upset to see it leave. The animatronics are so pre-dated. Would love to see a tie in with Moana with using the Polynesian boats in the move along with Jungle Cruise and new updated animatronics and in the center of ride add the volcano with new ride / roller coaster with a Maui tie in. Something along the lines of his eagle shape shifting. That's just my 2 cents... Always hoping and dreaming!

With WDW turning 50 in 2021, I do see them adding another attraction to MK. And to be quite honest I new make over and E ticket attraction for adventure land would be well over due. Jungle Cruise takes up most of Adventure Land and I wouldn't be too upset to see it leave. The animatronics are so pre-dated. Would love to see a tie in with Moana with using the Polynesian boats in the move along with Jungle Cruise and new updated animatronics and in the center of ride add the volcano with new ride / roller coaster with a Maui tie in. Something along the lines of his eagle shape shifting. That's just my 2 cents... Always hoping and dreaming!

Oof. Getting rid of Jungle Cruise would be a brutal mistake. It's one of Walt's true originals, it exists in all Disney parks except Paris and Shanghai, and one of the neatest rides in the park with the live guides and their beloved bad puns. Plus the ride still carries quite a popular line, even though it has a pretty good hourly capacity and FP capacity. However, with a movie in the works based on Jungle Cruise, and actually looking like it will get done this decade as compared to the one that fell through last decade, I think we can safely say it is not going anywhere.

Frankly, there is plenty of room in AdventureLand without removing a seminal ride. Any map of the park shows that there is a pile of empty space behind Main Street before you get to the Jungle Cruise area. It would be easily accessible by a bridge from Sunshine Tree Terrace or the Swiss Family Treehouse area though the drawback is you would have to stay low or possibly ruin the backdrop to Main Street. Alternatively you could "Splash Mountain" the problem and build the ride over the outer train tracks. Access could easily be provided from the PofC gift shop area. Regardless, keeping Jungle Cruise in no way limits the ability to build an E ticket in AdventureLand. Only Disney itself has prevented that from happening.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!