Visiting with an Infant

bfost87

Northern DIS'er
Just looking for any past experiences from fellow park goers - we are, for some reason, visiting the parks with a 2.5 month old next month (our first child), and while I've visited the park countless times over the past decade, never with a small child, nevermind an infant.

Does anyone have any experience visiting with a child of similar age and/or any tips, etc?

Speak to your pediatrician about sunscreen, most bottles say ' not under 6 months'......but our dermatologist and pediatrician recommended Blue lizard. Also, sunhats, baby wear, but also bring stroller.....it will be hot. Fan on stroller. Bring a white noise machine or similar for hotel( baby to sleep better.) Use kids nite out for a few hours for you and wife to have dinner out together one night! Make sure to not just keep baby places ( like baby wear and stroller) that he sleeps all day, carry him so he can have some stimulation....otherwise he may not sleep at night! Bring things from home( blankets etc that he is used to.) Baby centers in each park are amaxing...especially if the baby needs to be nursed or a cooldown place. Have an amazing first Disney trip as parents.... congratulations:)

If a nursing mom goes with you, make sure she stays super de duper hydrated.

While I've never gone with a child that young, I think they key is to be flexible.

Please talk to your pediatrician. The heat Florida is experiencing right now (feels like temperatures of 107), would be best for advise. My concern would be dehydration, not sure if that would or could be an issue, but please contact your doctor for their advice.

Please talk to your pediatrician. The heat Florida is experiencing right now (feels like temperatures of 107), would be best for advise. My concern would be dehydration, not sure if that would or could be an issue, but please contact your doctor for their advice.

Thanks for the concern, we've already run it past our delivering/family doctor as well as the local maternity nurses who call to check up on new parents - both said not a problem, but obviously there will be extra feedings in order to keep him hydrated.

I might consider investing in some spf clothing if it is in your budget. Also, it can get super hot in an infant carseat attached to a stroller base--especially against the back. As a PP mentioned, you might want to plan on switching up how you carry the baby--in arms, in a carrier, using the stroller. I had a winter baby and my ped gave me the green light on a barrier/mineral sunscreen for my baby at 4 months. I would ask about sunscreen, how many wet diapers to expect in the heat and if ear protection is recommended at your 8 week appt.

Even if it is not something you would normally use, I would put diaper cream on because of the heat. If you have room, pack 3-4 changes of clothes for the baby and a shirt the grown ups could share in a pinch--babies seem to pee or puke on you when unprepared. Also, ziplocs to put any clothes you have to change in. A blanket will turn any soft shaded area into a great place for tummy time even though it seems crazy to pack one for Disney in the summer.

If the mom is nursing, powerade/gatorade may be called for instead of regular water. Consider using bottled water if using formula because 'new' tap water can cause upset tummies in some babies.

I did this with a 2 year old, but still something you might keep in mind. My DGS was sleeping but face was flushed from the heat. I took him out of the stroller and took him into the shade and laid a moist cooling towel over him like a blanet, then I aimed a fan at him. 20 mins later no longer flushed face.

He slept the whole time.

Last edited:
That's real young, the youngest I've brought was 8 months. Big difference between 2.5 and 8 months.

My only suggestion is to plan a lot of breaks. Long meals in air conditioning during lunch time, sitting down in the shade and wait for parades/fireworks instead of waiting in lines etc. Know where the first aid areas are, there are areas for women to breastfeed/relax with young kids.

Both my kids went at that age....I took them towards the end of my maternity leave since I had no vacation time left for the rest of the year. It was by far the easiest trips with them. Toddlers are SO MUCH HARDER than infants. Don't over think it. Don't buy tons of special gear. Keep your diaper bag to a minimum. All you will do is stress yourself out with too much STUFF. Use the baby care centers. Both were summer trips/early fall trips (so hot) and we had no issues. Yes we went a bit slower, but both were super easy trips. Just use common sense. You will see TONS of infants there. It really isn't a big deal.

I've been on early September family trips when both of my grandkids were infants, and it wasn't hard at all. One thing that helped with the heat was a fan that attached to the stroller. The baby centers are great!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter