VIP tour in Disneyworld questions

Steven G

DIS Veteran
Hi,

I've done the VIP tour twice in Disneyland, so I know the basics, but I also know there are differences between DW and DL. I'd like to book a vip tour in DW.

Note that I do understand that the vip tour guide can only get you into parades and fireworks during the tour time (or at the very end of your tour), unlike disneyland, which can book you for those even after the tour is over (same day only of course). I also know DW offer transportation from your hotel if needed (we probably won't take advantage of that).

My question that I couldn't find an answer to:

1) If a ride doesn't have fast pass (peoplemover, tiki room, country bear jamboree, carousel of progress, railroad, etc.), can the tour guides do anything for those? DL VIP has many rides without fastpass that they can still get you on expedited (some of the fantasyland dark rides for example). I know that in DW most of these non-fastpass attractions don't have long lines usually, but we are going on President's day, which could be pretty busy. The impression I got from reading reviews is that these aren't covered, but I couldn't find anything that says this explicitly.

2) Any other differences that I missed?

Hi,

I've done the VIP tour twice in Disneyland, so I know the basics, but I also know there are differences between DW and DL. I'd like to book a vip tour in DW.

Note that I do understand that the vip tour guide can only get you into parades and fireworks during the tour time (or at the very end of your tour), unlike disneyland, which can book you for those even after the tour is over (same day only of course). I also know DW offer transportation from your hotel if needed (we probably won't take advantage of that).

My question that I couldn't find an answer to:

1) If a ride doesn't have fast pass (peoplemover, tiki room, country bear jamboree, carousel of progress, railroad, etc.), can the tour guides do anything for those? DL VIP has many rides without fastpass that they can still get you on expedited (some of the fantasyland dark rides for example). I know that in DW most of these non-fastpass attractions don't have long lines usually, but we are going on President's day, which could be pretty busy. The impression I got from reading reviews is that these aren't covered, but I couldn't find anything that says this explicitly.

You seem to have a good handle on things from my perspective.

As for #1, a tour guide generally can’t do anything for the shows you mention (at least to my knowledge, maybe others have different perspectives). If it’s absurdly busy and the those shows have a material wait, it’s worth asking I guess - but keep expectations low. But, I’d be willing to bet even on President’s Day you’re not going to encounter material / multi-show cycle waits for those, although PeopleMover can back up at times.

We all tour differently and no one size advice fits all, but my personal advice would be to not use VIP tour time on “low priority/easy entry” attractions like those you mention if you have other park days and the ability to come back later. I’d prefer to use the paid tour time covering things where it really adds value, such as rides with FPs, reserved viewing, etc.

At most attractions that do not offer FP, your guide will not be able to do anything to help you better access those attractions than you can on your own. And honestly, for the majority of those, you don't need any kind of better access, as you can usually just walk on them more or less, even during the busier days in the parks. For those reasons, many choose to experience such attractions during time when they are on their own and aren't on a tour. The one attraction that sticks out to me that doesn't have FP but your guide will be able to expedite your entry is Triceratop Spin at Animal Kingdom. If you're interested in Astro Orbiter, which also tends to get an appreciable line, you can also ask about doing it on your tour, but that one seems to be hit or miss for VIP access. Same with the PeopleMover.

Other differences to be aware of- WDW VIP tours don't offer complimentary locker rentals, but you have a vehicle all day for the tour that you can store things in. It also sounds like you may be planning to meet your guide in the parks, so if you need a complimentary stroller or wheelchair, you'll need the guide to get it for you, as they typically have them waiting backstage. Also, WDWs VIP tours don't include your Photopass downloads.

That is what I suspected.

We only have one day at DW, but we will probably start the vip tour later in the morning, so we will try to get some of the non-vip tour rides done early (or maybe after the tour is over, depending on which park we start/end up at).

Thanks!

we will only be doing MK and HS on our trip, and we don't like the "Dumbo" like rides, except for Dumbo perhaps, and that has fastpass. So Astro Orbiter, Magic Carpets, etc. are all not on our list.

HS is pretty much all Fastpass for what we want to do, so it's just a few MK classics that we want to go on that don't have fastpass.

Thanks again for your answers!

Yes you do get access to parades and fireworks, it only during hour tour time. You need to make sure you tell the person who is booking your trip that your party is interested in doing the parade or fireworks or whatever. Keep in mind it is not guaranteed and for example we did get the MK parade, but not Fantasmic.
The trip we did was for my dad’s 80th and he wanted to see carousel of progress.We split up, dad and others went there, and the tourguide took everyone else to Space mountain.

Also keep in mind that some of your classics are time drains and generally not suggested for a VIP tour. The guides will even tell you they strongly advise against doing COP on a tour. You can pretty much walk on it any time and it takes thirty minutes and you can't leave it early. If you were going to do the railroad (is it running now, I forget), Country Bears, COP, and the Tiki room it would take up like an hour and a half of your guided time. We love all of those shows - so I am not saying miss out on them - just do it before or after you have your guide. Last year at Christmas time we got in all four parks and 18 rides with a VIP guide.

Thanks again for your replies, it's appreciated.

I have come to a tentative list of attractions to do with the tour, we'd want to do, do you think this is reasonable (15 must dos, 8 additional nice to do during tour). I've tried to move the attractions that are more like "shows" to off the VIP tour time.

We'd also want to do the fireworks at the end of the day at MK, so we will probably start with HS, and move to MK after done with the rides at HS.

We will probably do the below on our own time, as well as any other other ones that couldn't get done during the tour:
MK:
Carousel of Progress
Country Bear Jamboree
Dumbo
Hall of Presidents
Mad Tea Party
Philharmagic
Railroad
Tiki Room

HS:
Lightning McQueen RAcing Academy
Muppetvision 3d

here's the list of attractions during tour time (* are priority):

MK:
Barnstormer
Big Thunder*
Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin
Enchanted Tales with Belle*
Haunted Mansion*
Its a small world*
Jungle Cruise
Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
Monsters Laugh Floor*
Peoplemover (I know it's not fastpass, but I'd want to do it sometime during the tour, just as a way to catch our breath!)
Peter Pan Flight*
Pirates of the Caribbean*
Seven Dwarf Mine Train*
Space Mountain*
Under the Sea

HS:
Alien Swirling Saucers
Rise of the Resistance*
Rock N Roller Coaster*
Slinky Dog Dash*
Smugglers Run*
Star Tours
Toy Story Mania*
Tower of Terror*

Are you booking the tour for more than the minimum 7 hours? Do you plan on doing the tour up until the MK fireworks time so you can utilize the VIP viewing area? Do you plan on going rope drop until closing? I do think you are going to have to utilize some of your non-tour time to knock some of these things out and you may even want to consider booking 3 FP+, pre-tour to get some of the rides done. If you can give us the hours you are planning on spending in the parks, we may be able to help you break this down a little better.

See comments, if you want to drop something from your list:

MK:
Barnstormer
Big Thunder*
Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin
Enchanted Tales with Belle* - This does take some time, but if it is a priority keep it.
Haunted Mansion*
Its a small world*
Jungle Cruise
Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
Monsters Laugh Floor* - Again, this is a "show" and takes some time as well, there is usually not a wait
Peoplemover (I know it's not fastpass, but I'd want to do it sometime during the tour, just as a way to catch our breath!) - there is usually very little wait, but I would bypass if other rides are a priority. You aren't supposed to catch your breath during a tour :rotfl2:
Pirates of the Caribbean*
Seven Dwarf Mine Train*
Space Mountain*
Under the Sea

HS:
Alien Swirling Saucers
Rise of the Resistance*
Rock N Roller Coaster*
Slinky Dog Dash*
Smugglers Run*
Star Tours
Toy Story Mania*
Tower of Terror*

To give you an idea, here is what we did on 12/28/18
SDD x2
Alien Swirling Saucers
Toy Story Mania
Star Tours
Navi River
FOP
Buzz Lightyear
Space Mountain
Mad Tea Party
SDMT
Haunted Mansion
Splash Mountain
BTMR
PoC
Test Track x2
Frozen Ever After

You are only doing two parks, so that will cut out some driving time.

As for #1, a tour guide generally can’t do anything for the shows you mention
But they should be able to determine the best time for each attraction - i.e. arriving at CoP a couple of minutes before a show starts, not a couple of minutes after.

Are you booking the tour for more than the minimum 7 hours? Do you plan on doing the tour up until the MK fireworks time so you can utilize the VIP viewing area? Do you plan on going rope drop until closing? I do think you are going to have to utilize some of your non-tour time to knock some of these things out and you may even want to consider booking 3 FP+, pre-tour to get some of the rides done. If you can give us the hours you are planning on spending in the parks, we may be able to help you break this down a little better.
7 hour tour
We may do desert party for fireworks.
I am figuring tour from 10am to 5pm, trying to get good seating for parade at least.
I plan on doing close to rope drop till closing but it may be less.
We are not staying onsite, but I will try and get some fast passes, we will actually be at hard rock hotel at universal.

HS first. Then MK.

I don’t have more details yet, because it’s a bit far away for now.

The only reason laugh floor is marked as priority is that it was one of the few attractions we missed last time at MK in early 2018. We had to leave the line at the time due to a needed bathroom break, and decided to skip it after that. I know it takes some time.

Enchanted tales with belle is something that was so much fun last time and Disneyland has nothing quite like it

But they should be able to determine the best time for each attraction - i.e. arriving at CoP a couple of minutes before a show starts, not a couple of minutes after.

CoP loads a new show like every 5 mins - not really much a guide can do there.

Other differences to be aware of- WDW VIP tours don't offer complimentary locker rentals, but you have a vehicle all day for the tour that you can store things in. It also sounds like you may be planning to meet your guide in the parks, so if you need a complimentary stroller or wheelchair, you'll need the guide to get it for you, as they typically have them waiting backstage. Also, WDWs VIP tours don't include your Photopass downloads.

Can the VIP guide help you get photopass pictures? Or if there is a specific image you want do you just need to wait in line?

Also, from what I’ve read, not sure that RotR will be available for VIP tours yet.

I would think ROTR would be available for VIP tours. Smuggler's Run is. We did it with our VIP guide last month.

I would think ROTR would be available for VIP tours. Smuggler's Run is. We did it with our VIP guide last month.

Guests with VIP tours booked have been notified that RotR will not be available. This could change as things get more stable with that ride, but that is the policy for now. FYI.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter