**Villains After Hours - Magic Kingdom** FAQ & Discussion Thread

We went to the last party last year (8/8). After attending 2 AH the previous August we couldn't wait to it again. The previous year on 8/4/18, we didn't have any empty park feelings but definitely low crowds. The following week 8/11 they implemented the wrist band along with lanyard and it definitely felt like less people and we had some areas pretty empty. We loved it so jumped on the Villain's one this past August, hoping for the same feel. While it wasn't too crazy it still felt busy. The hub was crowded all night. We didn't get to go on Space but that could have been our bad timing too - but the line always looked long and with DS not riding, we like where we can switch and last AH there was no problem with DH going with DD then me going with her. This would not have worked in VAH without taking a lot of time. We were able to get drinks and snacks but a few times we did find that popcorn wasn't available (where as the previous times there would be boxes sitting out waiting to be grabbed). now, in comparing to the sold out MNSSHP we did last month, VAH definitely had lower crowds then that, so somewhere in between as it wasn't even close to what we experienced then. It definitely feels more like a party at VAH too like someone above said. I liked AH where walking out was just calmer and more peaceful. Although it was fun to get hackled by the Villains at the train station too. So all in all, just two different experiences.
It will be interesting to see reports on how crowds are. We don't plan on going back until November next year so I don't have to decide on this one for now but will be following along still to see - because with us you never know lol . (just like we may sneak in a short January trip for regular AH if it works out!)

Kind of disappointed, had been really hoping for a regular after hours event for February 14. I wasn’t following the thread as closely during the villains the first go around but I know I remember seeing complaints of it being crowded. How bad was it for those who have done both? Those who did both did you also enjoy the villains event?
I had done the regular MK twice previously before doing the Villains version this summer. I was disappointed with the VAH, and I wouldn’t do it again. Much longer lines for rides, long snack lines and lacking that “empty park” feeling that made me love the regular After Hours events.

I do not understand all the grousing and complaining and disappointment!
As if an event would not be crowded. Of course it's going to be crowded. There is rarely an "empty park" experience anymore.
We don't go to the Halloween or Christmas parties anymore because it's insanely crowded and a miserable experience.
We've done several after hours and special events, and those are crowded too but not as bad as a ticketed party event.
We love the free DVC events the most. It's nice to get a perk like that.

If we're at WDW during one of these Villains events I would go mostly because I've never been to one. My expectation would be that it's packed, of course. Might be a one and done but could also be awesome. I've heard very good things about this event.

I had done the regular MK twice previously before doing the Villains version this summer. I was disappointed with the VAH, and I wouldn’t do it again. Much longer lines for rides, long snack lines and lacking that “empty park” feeling that made me love the regular After Hours events.

i know someone who has done both & this is exactly what she said. :thumbsup2

As if an event would not be crowded. Of course it's going to be crowded. There is rarely an "empty park" experience anymore.

And that is exactly why the disappointment. After Hours at MK have been the last “empty park“ experience. They started with reports of only 3000 tickets sold. Certainly that is an empty park experience. And now that appears to be gone. Of course folks are going to be disappointed to see that go. Is it understandable that Disney wants crowds? Sure. But it is also understandable that people will be disappointed that an event that they loved now seems changed & not for the better.

Dang it!! I was really hoping for something the week we are there. But no, nothing the last week of Jan. So diappointed

With Villains last date on July 10, should we just go ahead and assume MNSSHP will start the week of July 13 next year? :duck:

As I talked about in my review from last June, Villains was one-and-done for me. It's not bad and I would encourage anyone curious to give it a try, but it exists somewhere between MNSSHP and regular DAH. It loses a lot of the things that make each of those better without providing a lot in return (and yet somehow is still more expensive than either one of those by about $20-$30).

With Villains last date on July 10, should we just go ahead and assume MNSSHP will start the week of July 13 next year? :duck:

As I talked about in my review from last June, Villains was one-and-done for me. It's not bad and I would encourage anyone curious to give it a try, but it exists somewhere between MNSSHP and regular DAH. It loses a lot of the things that make each of those better without providing a lot in return (and yet somehow is still more expensive than either one of those by about $20-$30).

That's the part that really gets me about all of this. Charging MORE than MNSSHP and MORE than DAH for an arguably worse experience than both!

I just bought tickets and hoping I don't regret it. We have never been to an AH or MNSSHP event, and thought the VAH sounded like a mix of the two. Crossing my fingers that we won't be disappointed

I have mixed feelings. On one hand I feel like one of the few people here who enjoyed VAH...but I had nothing to compare it to, and I was really wanting a normal DAH in MK for our trip next year. I hope they don’t oversell these like they did the first time around and that they take into account guest feedback to make improvements. That price is also nuts, but the AP discount makes it a bit more palatable. At least other half will be excited to experience it, she’s as big a villain fan as I am.
Completely agree! We really enjoyed VAH but I was hoping to do a regular MK AH for comparison next year. It was definitely a MNSSHP-lite event (and we are huge MNSSHP fans) so we will definitely be doing it again....just need to decide if it will be in March or June. I’m very surprised at the # of dates for sure though!

We don't go to the Halloween or Christmas parties anymore because it's insanely crowded and a miserable experience.
We've done several after hours and special events, and those are crowded too but not as bad as a ticketed party event.

If we're at WDW during one of these Villains events I would go mostly because I've never been to one. My expectation would be that it's packed, of course. Might be a one and done but could also be awesome. I've heard very good things about this event.
Have you ever been to a DAH event specifically? We love them BECUASE they offer the "empty park" feel. We have done it twice and we had lots of times during both events that we couldn't see another human being walking around. I definitely see where people are coming from saying that they are disappointed losing that.

I've done 2 DAH and one Villains one but my family hasn't done any... hoping for anything Wed - Fri before our cruise in July! I enjoyed the Villains add-ons (July 18th last year) but I was there for the experience. It definitely wasn't as empty as the first one I attended in July 2018 but we (girls trip) still had a great night. If there's a Friday night one, maybe SIL & BIL would join us too (they're only flying in the night before the cruise). We enjoy the DAH events, more crowded or not, in place of a single day park ticket on a very short trip.

As a fan of the Villains I was happy to see this return and for our April trip we have planned. I've heard a lot of mixed reviews so far but it's a very unique experience and something I have wanted to partake in at least once. Sounds like many who were disappointed with this event are the ones who are just wanting to ride the rides with low wait times and I get that. It's discouraging when you spend so much money for an event such as Villains After Hours and see long wait times. I wish they would add some Meet and Greets to this event as I think that would get some of the lines down a little bit.

Completely agree! We really enjoyed VAH but I was hoping to do a regular MK AH for comparison next year. It was definitely a MNSSHP-lite event (and we are huge MNSSHP fans) so we will definitely be doing it again....just need to decide if it will be in March or June. I’m very surprised at the # of dates for sure though!
I am hoping that the number of dates works in our favor, and crowds are lower since it isn't so "exclusive".

The disappointment is because the regular DAH DID actually have the empty park feeling and was not crowded! You could literally walk into every ride, with the possible exception of SDMT but even that line was short and occasionally walk on. The VAH lines were often 10-20 min, with rides with overlays being even longer. Still shorter than a busy day, sure, but not the walk onto every ride multiple times and occasionally even stay on that the DAH is. so while I enjoyed VAH I’m definitely disappointed to not get the regular DAH for the MK.
Edited for spelling 🙄. Once I noticed it I couldn’t leave it alone!

Last edited:
I am hoping that the number of dates works in our favor, and crowds are lower since it isn't so "exclusive".

Me too. I heard the night I went (8/8) was sold out as well. Not thinking that will be an issue in early May. We will see.

If you’d ever attended the current DAH events, you would understand. They are near empty and an amazing experience. It’s the only event I’m aware of that offers the experience of walking around in a park that feels like no one else is there.

Even the Villains events weren’t packed, just more people than a regular dah.

Just wanted to point out that it’s not like all the DAH events have been all candy canes and lollipops either. It’s like any Disney event... things (reviews) tend to ebb and flow. Some nights are more attended than others for various known/unknown reasons. Although generally speaking reviews tend to slant positive far more often than not.

Could I just check with fireworks go on like usual on a villain night? We have a reservation at California Grill and was hoping to see the fireworks

Also would magic kingdom be busier in the morning when the villain night was on? Or just normal attendance during the day?

Thank you

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter