Viewing space shuttle or going to KSC free resource offered

ShelsGoingToDisney

DIS Veteran
I have been fortunate enough to be granted tickets for my family to view the Space Shuttle Endeavour’s launch scheduled for April 19, 2011, on the NASA Causeway. In order to attend I will have to pull my kids (5th grade, 2nd grade, and Kindergarten) out of school. I'm a former teacher and I wanted my kids to do some research into the shuttle before the launch to broaden their experience. I also want them to keep a record of this once in a lifetime experience. I decided to create a unit that each of my kids could use to reach these goals. I figured there are probably other parents/teachers out there that could use these materials so I am sharing them for FREE at Teachers Pay Teachers. I hope that others can benefit from and enjoy the information that they learn while viewing the miraculous experience of a space shuttle launch!

There are activities for shuttle viewing, and researching as well as some things applicable to the KSC Visitors Center.

If you are pulling your K-6th grade student out of school for a trip this may be something you could do to enhance their learning on the trip as well as to show their school that learning took place on your vacation!

Again this is totally free, I am not trying to sell anything!

http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Space-Shuttle-Experience-Unit-for-K-6

Thank you! We always attend the launches (LOVE THEM!!!) and this will be great for the kiddos.

Also, for your once-in-a-lifetime Causeway Launch, here are a couple of tips:

bring folding chairs (we have ones with a built in canopy and they were wonderful for sitting in the hot sun---people were jealous)

binoculars

bug spray

soft cooler full of food and drinks (KSC food is $$$$$)

as you spend the day hanging around KSC, plan on going to the 3-D movie first; it gets more and more crowded as the day goes on

Have fun!!!

Thank you! We always attend the launches (LOVE THEM!!!) and this will be great for the kiddos.

Also, for your once-in-a-lifetime Causeway Launch, here are a couple of tips:

bring folding chairs (we have ones with a built in canopy and they were wonderful for sitting in the hot sun---people were jealous)

binoculars

bug spray

soft cooler full of food and drinks (KSC food is $$$$$)

as you spend the day hanging around KSC, plan on going to the 3-D movie first; it gets more and more crowded as the day goes on

Have fun!!!

Thanks for the tips! We have congressional tickets so we won't be at KSC before the launch. We have to meet at the Merritt Island Mall to get on the bus that will take us directly to the Causeway.

Do you have any tips for keeping the kids entertained while we sit at the Causeway? I was thinking UNO cards or something but if there's wind they would blow around? :confused3

Oh what a fantastic time you will have and how nice of you to offer your lesson plans!

I used to teach 3rd grade and did a huge space unit. I went through the KSC teacher training back in the day and became eligible for their moon rock samples. We also rented (cheap) a blow up planetarium from a local museum and we did "biographies" (3rd grade style) of the shuttle astronauts.

My family got to see a launch from the causeway in 1998. It was one of the most memorable experiences of my life! We had tickets to go the previous day and the launch got delayed. We were scheduled to drive home (to OHIO!) the day of the rescheduled launch so we packed everything in our (then) van and headed for the coast. After the launch we drove all night to get home. It was SOOO worth it though!

I can't remember the kids getting bored. I'm not sure how the causeway is now that all the security is in place but during that time, there were TONS of people. Everyone kind of played ball and frisbee and just visited with each other!

Have a wonderful time and be sure to video the launch. We have a VHS recording of the launch we attended that I would LOVE to convert to DVD sometime!

Thanks for the resource - I will check that out tomorrow.

We will be there as well. We tried this in November, but it was a bust. My family will be loaded down with much electronic gear and batteries and chargers! This would encompass iPhones, iPods, DSis, and Kindles I believe covers it all! We also had a deck of cards (speaking of which I need to go find them before the trip). We're pretty much of an electronic family - my kids are in 4th and 6th grade and they are on break that week.

In addition to our chairs and sunscreen, etc.

Here's crossing my fingers for both of us that it goes as scheduled. When it doesn't, it turns into a really painful waiting game.

Thanks! We are taking our grandson (4th grade) down for the launch.

Sandy

I just had the chance to download this and look at it tonight - it is fantastic! Thank you so much for sharing. Not sure how much interest I can get my kids to have in it (they are on break that week) but I am definitely going to try! I love it.

I just had the chance to download this and look at it tonight - it is fantastic! Thank you so much for sharing. Not sure how much interest I can get my kids to have in it (they are on break that week) but I am definitely going to try! I love it.

Thanks! :lovestruc

My DD started her packet tonight, she's in 2nd grade but she's very into school and homework! My older DS on the other hand is moaning and groaning! I keep reminding him he is missing school and this is much less work and way more interesting! Small price to pay to view a shuttle launch! I'm glad I did it as I learned a lot about the particular mission which makes it all the cooler!

That's a great thing to do for your children and very kind of you to share with us. :goodvibes

I just have to say how wonderful it is to teach your kids about NASA and the space program. I went to an elementary school where the 5th grade does a huge unit about space exploration and ends with a 3 day trip to Kennedy Space Center for Space Camp! We even got a retired astronaut to speak at the school that year.

It was one of the highlights of my childhood and I remember so much about it now (I'm 26).

Thanks. I'm going to download for my 2nd grader later today. We are going to Cape Canaveral for the launch too. It just happened to coincide with DD's spring break and I was lucky enough to snag a condo on the beach fairly last minute so we'll just watch from there, but we'll definately be doing the KSC tour. Fingers crossed for the lauch on April 19th!

OP -- This looks awesome, thanks for posting it!

We will be at WDW on 4/19 and will be staying at the Beach Club. Does anyone know if we will be able to see the launch from there? Is there an especially good place for viewing at WDW? This is the one shuttle launch of my lifetime and I'm really hoping to be able to see it. TIA!

OP -- This looks awesome, thanks for posting it!

We will be at WDW on 4/19 and will be staying at the Beach Club. Does anyone know if we will be able to see the launch from there? Is there an especially good place for viewing at WDW? This is the one shuttle launch of my lifetime and I'm really hoping to be able to see it. TIA!

I've heard that some of the best views are around the lagoon near the Poly. But it is really far away. I saw a launch from Melbourne (so only like 20 minutes from the Cape) and it still was pretty small up in the sky.

:-(

No shuttle for us as we will be back home on the 4/29 rescheduled date.

And now I have to sell our tickets as well and coordinate all that between now and when we leave for vacation. GRRRRR.

:-(

No shuttle for us as we will be back home on the 4/29 rescheduled date.

And now I have to sell our tickets as well and coordinate all that between now and when we leave for vacation. GRRRRR.

Same here :( and I just bought our KSC tickets this morning. BUT, since our condo is non refundable, we are still going, still going to tour KSC and maybe we'll just relax for a few days. I'm not sure I've ever done that on vacation before :lmao:

I'm not holding my breath, but if it really does take off April 29 I think we are going to have to watch!! We have tentative plans for a trip around that date but I was considering cancelling as my daughter has finals that week (at UCF). :thumbsup2

I'm so disappointed. We wanted so much for our grandson to see a launch, but our spring break will be over. We will still go to the condo at Cape Canaveral and visit the Space Center, but I'm really bummed about it. :sad2:

Sandy

I'm so disappointed. We wanted so much for our grandson to see a launch, but our spring break will be over. We will still go to the condo at Cape Canaveral and visit the Space Center, but I'm really bummed about it. :sad2:

Sandy

Hey! We'll be in a condo at Cape Canaveral too on spring break. We are still going to do KSC and just chill. Might sneak over to Blizzard Beach for a day just to get a little Disney magic (weather depending I guess).

I sold my tickets in under an hour, so at least that part was good. Now I just need them to get here - they're in the mail - so I can finish the deal! Oh well, one less complication on our Disney trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter