Viewing Resales on OC Comptroller Website and ROFR

JHank44

Mouseketeer
I know many have pointed to the OC Comptroller website but the information can be difficult to see and somewhat opaque (most sales are listed as a cost of $10 and other considerations and sometimes only unit % is shown and not points). After playing around, I thought I would share what I found.

How to view deeds for a specific resort
1) Go to http://or.occompt.com/recorder/eagleweb/docSearch.jsp
2) Select the dates you want to search.
3) On the far right, "Uncheck box to search specific document types." And then select "Deed".
4) Go to the Advanced Tab, in the "Legal Remarks" field and put the resort you are interested in the field in quotation marks (i.e. "Bay Lake", "Animal Kingdom"). Note: It doesn't have to be the full name but just a unique part of the name that won't bring up other results.

This brings you to a list of all the deed sales. You can then click on any listing for basic data. On the left of the basic data page you can click on the View Image link to see the actual document.

How to determine the resale price
Most documents I've found list price is $10 and other considerations. This is not useful. After researching on the website, I found that the "Deed Doc Tax" is at a rate of $0.70 per $100 = 0.70%. So you can take the Deed Doc Tax amount and divide by 0.70% to calculate the purchase price.

How to determine the number of points

This will be different for every resort and I haven't taken the time to calculate them all. The deeds are a percentage of a unit and don't necessarily list the points. In order to determine the $/point, we need to know the amount of points.

I searched for listings where both the points and percentage were listed and just calculated the % to point conversion. For Bay Lake Tower, I found that 1 point = 0.002545%. My assumption is that all units are the same size (not rooms but how the hotel is divided by DVD for DVC) which may or may not be the case.

How to view Disney Purchases (Exercises of ROFR/Foreclosures)
If you want to see deeds where only DVD is the buyer. Go back to the search page and add Disney in the "Grantee" Field on the basic search tab.

Example
As an example, here is a Bay Lake Tower Listing that ROFR was exercised:

http://or.occompt.com/recorder/eagleweb/viewDoc.jsp?node=DOC1898S1531

Doc Tax = $154 so sale was for 154/0.7% = $22,000.
The percentage of unit is 0.5718% which equates to 0.5718/.002545 = 225 points.

So Disney exercised ROFR on Bay Lake Tower at $98/point. We don't know if this was a stripped/loaded contract but it at least gives a little information about where Disney is buying contracts back.

Conclusion
In an ideal world, all deed transfers would be transparent with price and contract details available but that's not the case. If someone is tech savvy they could probably right a script to scrape all this data into $/point sales but right now the process for me is manual so I haven't built much of a database.

If there is an easier way to get at the data or something I missed, please share. I hope everyone found this post useful.

You are definitely on the right track. All timeshare transactions are public records in Florida and the Orange County Comptroller's website has a wealth of information concerning DVC direct sales, resales, and DVD reacquisitions.

Here are a few things I would add to your post:

The Residential Units within each DVC resort can vary in configuration; therefore the number of points allotted to each Unit will vary. Bay Lake Tower is relatively straightforward because it has only three different configurations, which results in it having only three different point sizes: 19,640, 34,975, and 39,280. Other DVC resorts have many more configurations, resulting in Units of different point sizes. In comparison, OKW has 11 different configurations ranging from 13,995 points to 223,920 points.

The example BLT deed actually has only 200 points. It was from BLT Unit 88B which is allotted on 34,975 points (0.005718 * 34975 = 200 points.

Its somewhat difficult to state with certainty that a deed reacquired by DVD was due to it executing ROFR on a resale transaction. Until late last year, DVD used the "Warranty Deed" document exclusively for ROFRed resale transactions or for the rare cases when DVD bought back a deed at full price. It also used a document called a "Warranty Deed in Lieu of Foreclosure" on those cases where DVD was buying back deeds that were on the verge of being foreclosed through the judicial process. However, late last year DVD started using the Warranty Deed document on all three types of cases. Thus, a true ROFRed deed is currently indistinguishable from cases that are be foreclosed "in-house" by DVD.

You are definitely on the right track. All timeshare transactions are public records in Florida and the Orange County Comptroller's website has a wealth of information concerning DVC direct sales, resales, and DVD reacquisitions.

Here are a few things I would add to your post:

The Residential Units within each DVC resort can vary in configuration; therefore the number of points allotted to each Unit will vary. Bay Lake Tower is relatively straightforward because it has only three different configurations, which results in it having only three different point sizes: 19,640, 34,975, and 39,280. Other DVC resorts have many more configurations, resulting in Units of different point sizes. In comparison, OKW has 11 different configurations ranging from 13,995 points to 223,920 points.

The example BLT deed actually has only 200 points. It was from BLT Unit 88B which is allotted on 34,975 points (0.005718 * 34975 = 200 points.

Its somewhat difficult to state with certainty that a deed reacquired by DVD was due to it executing ROFR on a resale transaction. Until late last year, DVD used the "Warranty Deed" document exclusively for ROFRed resale transactions or for the rare cases when DVD bought back a deed at full price. It also used a document called a "Warranty Deed in Lieu of Foreclosure" on those cases where DVD was buying back deeds that were on the verge of being foreclosed through the judicial process. However, late last year DVD started using the Warranty Deed document on all three types of cases. Thus, a true ROFRed deed is currently indistinguishable from cases that are be foreclosed "in-house" by DVD.

Thanks for the information. I wasn't sure 100% about the points and was making an assumption. Where do you see the points per unit?

As for the foreclosure vs. "in-house" vs. ROFR, this is my best guess but I found the "Legal Data" to somewhat indicative. If it is a foreclosure, it has a Case Number in the Legal Data field. If it is "in-house", it looks like the document is a "Warranty Deed in Lieu of Foreclosure" without anything in the Legal Data field. If it is a ROFR, it is then it is a "Warranty Deed" document without anything in the Legal Data field.

I now have spreadsheets for each resort showing the number of points allotted to every Unit at the resort. So when I see that Disney has reacquired a deed that has 0.5869% of AKV Unit 22, I can easily figure out that it is a 160-point deed because Unit 22 has been allotted 27,260 points.

I've been tracking DVC sales for almost seven years and I've identified every Residential Unit at all the DVC resorts except Villas at Grand Californian. I use the declarations for each resort to find each Unit (BLT has 223; AKV has 326; etc), then I found deeds for each and computed the number of Unit points based on the percentage of ownership and number of points on the deed.

There are a couple more steps I took to cross check the number of points in each Unit, such as using the Unit's villa configuration to determine the point allotment. For example, at PVB the Residential Units have one of three possible configurations: Two bungalows per Unit; four studios per Unit; or six studios per Unit. Based on the initial sales, I determined that each bungalow was allotted 24,120 points and that each studio was allotted 9,862 points. Thus, the Units that have two bungalows have 48,240 points; the four studio Units have 39,448 points; and the six studio Units have 59,172 points. This means that I can determine the point allotment for all PVB Units even though Disney has only sold deeds from 39 of PVB's 86 Units.

@JHank44 - I know this is an old thread, but it has been incredibly helpful! I was able to gather enough intel to get a feel for how many contracts are getting through and how many are getting taken in ROFR for a particular resort. Thank you!!!

@JHank44 - I know this is an old thread, but it has been incredibly helpful! I was able to gather enough intel to get a feel for how many contracts are getting through and how many are getting taken in ROFR for a particular resort. Thank you!!!

Do you care to share your findings? :-)

Do you care to share your findings? :-)

Keep in mind that this was just my beginner research, and more about observations than hard numbers. I was specifically looking at Beach Club from 9/1/2017 through yesterday. There has been SO little ROFR info posted. What I found was that there had been 104 BCV transactions where DVD waived their ROFR and I saw only TWO where the right was exercised, and they seemed to be small contracts. So, now my next challenge is to see if I can figure out how much the contracts are really selling for. This is a work in progress and these numbers are probably not correct, so I wanted to edit this post accordingly, as I am learning more about how to retrieve accurate search results.

I hesitated to post anything because I am figuring this out as I go through the process and may not have looked things up exactly right - especially the numbers where DVD takes the points. If my research is correct, I’m shocked that they have waived SO many contracts. But, I do wonder at what point in the length of contract will they no longer want to have points on their hands...

ETA: So, I’m extremely frustrated this morning because I CANNOT replicate my search from last night. The website is not matching the terms in the “Legal Remarks” so Im getting all the properties. Somehow last night I managed to get it to filter only Beach club. :headache:

Last edited:

Keep in mind that this was just my beginner research, and more about observations than hard numbers. I was specifically looking at Beach Club from 9/1/2017 through yesterday. There has been SO little ROFR info posted. What I found was that there had been 104 BCV transactions where DVD waived their ROFR and I saw only TWO where the right was exercised, and they seemed to be small contracts. So, now my next challenge is to see if I can figure out how much the contracts are really selling for.

I hesitated to post anything because I am figuring this out as I go through the process and may not have looked things up exactly right - especially the numbers where DVD takes the points. If my research is correct, I’m shocked that they have waived SO many contracts. But, I do wonder at what point in the length of contract will they no longer want to have points on their hands...

ETA: So, I’m extremely frustrated this morning because I CANNOT replicate my search from last night. The website is not matching the terms in the “Legal Remarks” so Im getting all the properties. Somehow last night I managed to get it to filter only Beach club. :headache:

Try just Beach in the legal remarks with Disney as grantee to see ROFR’s. Also, if you have not yet noticed, on the right side of the search parameters you can select a document type by un-checking the box. I usually select “deed” to filter out non-transactional filings. That search for this year to date produced 51 transactions.

Try just Beach in the legal remarks with Disney as grantee to see ROFR’s. Also, if you have not yet noticed, on the right side of the search parameters you can select a document type by un-checking the box. I usually select “deed” to filter out non-transactional filings. That search for this year to date produced 51 transactions.

Thanks! I finally got search results for Beach Club. I also figured out some other things I was doing wrong, so I’m going to edit my post above for future’s sake. But, 51 doesn’t seem like a lot compared to the number of transactions I found.

I use "Beach Club" (including the quotes) to filter out just BCV in the legal remarks field, and as of today see 52 transactions since Jan 1 2017.

The most recent ROFR has DVD paying 68.80 a point for a 262 point contract. I want to know how these people only sold for 68.80 a point when the going rate is almost double that. Yeah they are overseas UK sellers, but 68.80 a point? wow.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter