Videos and Updates From Disney Magic At Sea UK Cruises - Post Five New Vlogs From London Tilbury Cruises

Yes, but I have found myself in the position of being able to afford something I barely ever use. This wasn't always my truth.

I had no idea you could rent a cellphone - interesting factoid... I knew you could get the prepaid ones - that's what I have. Thank you for this new factoid. (no that wasn't sarcasm).

As long as there is a non tech option available, even if it's one you have to ask for, then I am absolutely fine with smart phones being used to read the menus for most. I'm not anti tech - I'm anti leaving those who don't have tech out in the cold. I was just pondering whether Disney would have taken those people into consideration when making their plans. I have been to restaurants who have switched to this system and actually DON'T have an option for those without a smartphone. Or who have a smartphone that for some reason wont work with this system. (Confession: It took me forever to figure out how to use my phone to do this, and since most folks don't use track phones, nobody knew how to help me figure it out.)

Yes people have to expect to be somewhat inconvenienced if they don't keep up with tech and progress aimed at helping to make the situation more efficient. But there should still always be a back up plan.

You're missing the point.

Firstly, even you have admitted you do have a smart phone, you just rarely use it. So not even you fall in to this tiny hypothetical group of shoe-string budget luddite Disney Cruise vacationers you are advocating for who don't even own one in the first place.

Secondly, you can rent a smart phone. So save up for x+1 months instead of x months and problem solved. Lots of people temporarily rent items they can't afford to own - perfectly valid.

Disney products increasingly require technology. Adapt, or accept there will be a less convenient non-tech alternative, or find an alternative product. There plenty of options out there, you are perfectly within your right to find the best one for you.

I watched some of the videos and I have to say it looked very bland and without any magic. Maybe it was not seeing smiling faces, too few people, or the weather. We will cancel our November cruise if it stays like this.

Seeing as how boarding doesn’t start until 1:00 or later are they having Cabanas open at boarding? That’s well after most people’s lunch time. Those boarding late in the afternoon who have early seating for dinner probably won’t eat at all upon boarding. Another way for DCL to save money….😏

Last edited:
Someone who can afford DCL not having a phone is absolutely a choice not an economic issue.

It may very well be that those people will need to buy a prepaid phone to cruise.

And you don't even need a phone... tablets work too, as does iPod Touch.

The current Apple IOS version of the DCL app runs on:

Compatibility
iPhone
Requires iOS 13.0 or later.

iPod touch
Requires iOS 13.0 or later.

IT also runs on iPad, not sure the version but I assume similar.

I believe the Android version will work on Android tablets as well as phones - according to the Google Play store it requires Android version 7.0 and up.

SW

I had no idea you could rent a cellphone - interesting factoid... I knew you could get the prepaid ones - that's what I have. Thank you for this new factoid. (no that wasn't sarcasm).

Well, you can in the UK at least, from MusicMagpie. I don't know anyone personally who does, but it's obviously a service enough people want to justify it's existence.

Another issue with the phone situation also was mentioned in one of the vloggers is that people weren't able to get signal in the terminal they were in then another concern I have is not all phone companies are treated equally. So someone could have a plan that works for them in their hometown but may not work as well outside that small area (I use to work for a cell phone company so this is actually a common thing).

Many things have gone more digital over the years and there are always work arounds and Disney is great about having a plan A, B, C, etc. So I don't think its as big of an issue as it seems to be here. Disney also has been moving towards this for a while tho, this isn't something new just from COVID. On my Jan 2020 cruise they really pushed people to using their phones for the navigator. You could still get a printed copy but it wasn't in your room every day like it had been previously.

Its like with COVID all of the restaurants around me have gone digital and want you to scan the QR code for the menu. They have some small printed menus but not as many as they did before. So there is a work around if needed.

Aside from the phone argument I think the Vlogs are honestly giving me a lot of hope for US sailings. I know they do not have the CDC restrictions and such but its a step in the right direction for cruising. There is going to be some changes, I'm honestly pretty impressed with some of the ways Disney is rolling with the punches. There's pieces I for sure hope go away before my cruise but at this point I'll take what I can get. Idk about y'all but I may have teared up a little bit when the Vloggers entered the atrium!

Another issue with the phone situation also was mentioned in one of the vloggers is that people weren't able to get signal in the terminal they were in then another concern I have is not all phone companies are treated equally. So someone could have a plan that works for them in their hometown but may not work as well outside that small area (I use to work for a cell phone company so this is actually a common thing).

On the signal front, they added wi-fi to the terminal between the first and second test cruises in response to that feedback so it’s hopefully something Disney is considering for a wider roll-out :)

On the signal front, they added wi-fi to the terminal between the first and second test cruises in response to that feedback so it’s hopefully something Disney is considering for a wider roll-out :)

That would most certainly help! I'm sure they'll still have to keep an efficient plan B for those who don't have a phone, phone died, etc I know anytime I travel I'm on my phone so much that it ends up dying at the worst possible time :P

Either way I have faith Disney can handle it for cruisers of all types whether they have phones or not!

I have watched some of the videos..the blogger did not mention any main stage shows in the Walt Disney theater? Is it because it was a test cruise? Or did I just miss it on the video?

I have watched some of the videos..the blogger did not mention any main stage shows in the Walt Disney theater? Is it because it was a test cruise? Or did I just miss it on the video?

I didn't see it either, I think they did smaller mini shows rather than the big shows. Like instead of the sail away party they had the small little number they did when they went into the atrium

we just have Dreams showing, gutted won’t be seeing Tangled again

I guess they really want to social distance in the theater with just doing one main stage show on a 4 night cruise

I've watched a few of these videos and can't imagine paying DCL prices for the same experience.

Last edited:
Was hoping the muster drill would be completely virtual like some other cruise lines but not standing shoulder to shoulder with other people for 30+ minutes is a nice change.

Yeah, doesn't sound like it's fully virtual, but definitely a change from the old.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter