Video catches deer crashing into Long Island, NY hair salon

I don't really know the LI area, have there ever been large wooded areas there for dear to love and thrive?
I'm from what LIers would consider upstate, dear have plenty of space that hasn't been encroached on up here.
Just looked at the population- 7.568 million
The rest of NY (not including NYC)- 8.422M
I would think the dear down there were very used to "city life" :laughing:

Lol, in my suburban/urban area, the turkeys are aggressive, my friend was rescued by a UPS driver after putting out her garbage cans. I’ve lived here for over 50 years, third generation, and there has been no new development, but there has been south and west, and now these animals are where they don’t belong.

Turkeys are actually kind of a fairly recent thing around here, and they're not native. I heard they were brought in for hunting and they just established a self-sustaining population. I see them crossing the street without any issues. They don't seem fearful of people, but they also do seem to care much. I can go hiking and walking, and the turkeys simply avoid people. I've even seen males during mating season, and they're not territorial or anything.

They might have been from semi-domesticated birds that were raised for hunting.

The deer however have always been here. They thrive for many of the reasons you state.

I don't really know the LI area, have there ever been large wooded areas there for dear to love and thrive?
I'm from what LIers would consider upstate, dear have plenty of space that hasn't been encroached on up here.
Just looked at the population- 7.568 million
The rest of NY (not including NYC)- 8.422M
I would think the dear down there were very used to "city life" :laughing:
They learn how to coexist, especially when nobody shoots at them. At least most of the time.

https://abc7news.com/archive/7422406/

Well - today I got home, and ASAP the neighbor across the street made sure to tell me that there was a buck right in the walkway to my porch. So I just kind of stood there trying to figure out how to proceed without getting gored. The neighbor thought it would just run away if I approached it, but it didn't seem to move much. I tried yelling and then finally it went through my bushes and there was actually a doe in my driveway that was with the buck.

Honestly I'm not really that scared of deer, but I've heard of pets getting kicked and of course the buck running into the hair salon is something that's hard to forget.

Yes, there's a lot of reasons for increased encounters with deer. Growing deer population, growing human population encroaching on their habitat. I can't tell you how many deer hits I see at work...it's a lot. My race team even had an encounter with a deer on the track....

Here's a still photo of it as it's going up and over the car next to us....

They learn how to coexist, especially when nobody shoots at them. At least most of the time.

https://abc7news.com/archive/7422406/

This is very true. They are smart animals.

I live in a wooded area. My sister not far from me, through the woods. And there is other property that backs up to our’s and it is also wooded.

A few deer have always lived in these woods and now it’s just exploded. No one has hunted back here in years because the growth is just so thick.

So now we are at a point that no one can really grow a garden because most of it gets eaten by deer (my sister has tried everything. It’s gotten to be a bit of a family joke to go see what she comes up with to keep them out). And bil has a hard time keeping horse feed because they will get in and eat it. It’s locked away from the horses but it’s not solid doors and the deer get in.

So ds has put up a camera and put out some corn to lure them in so they can be hunted safely with bow and arrow. We have got to get the population down some.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter