Video catches deer crashing into Long Island, NY hair salon

bcla

On our rugged Eastern foothills.....

I see similar deer (black tailed) in my neighborhood, including bucks. A few go by my front porch and even get close to windows. So far I haven't heard of one crashing through a window.

And I chose The Guardian's video because they notice the little details, including pointing out a flat iron caught on the deer's antlers.

Last edited:

I see similar deer (black tailed) in my neighborhood, including bucks. A few go by my front porch and even get close to windows. So far I haven't hear of one crashing through a window.

And I chose The Guardian's video because they notice the little details, including pointing out a flat iron caught on the deer's antlers.
Two things are happening- deer population is growing and expanding westward, and wooded areas continue to be built out. The deer in our area live near the outskirts of schools and soccer fields now because the woods they used to live in is now housing. We never saw deer on our LI property until a few years ago when these two issues began to coincide.

Two things are happening- deer population is growing and expanding westward, and wooded areas continue to be built out. The deer in our area live near the outskirts of schools and soccer fields now because the woods they used to live in is now housing. We never saw deer on our LI property until a few years ago when these two issues began to coincide.

I’ve lived around deer for decades in a wooded suburb. Plenty of places for them to live and forage. I don’t know what the dynamic is around LI, but around here nobody really finds it unusual. What would be unusual would be deer crashing through glass.

So glad that lady is ok. Holy cow how scary. Also very glad she has the video footage for insurance purposes.

I’ve lived around deer for decades in a wooded suburb. Plenty of places for them to live and forage. I don’t know what the dynamic is around LI, but around here nobody really finds it unusual. What would be unusual would be deer crashing through glass.
Just saw this on our local news. It’s about 10 minutes from me. The problem is the Wooded area is now gone. They attributed it to habitat loss. Who knows why the deer crashed through glass, birds crash into glass too- usually because they don’t realize its there.

If you google map where it happened, I think you will find that the wooded suburb you live in is different that the suburb that deer lives in. I live in a similar area of NJ, we have some deer sightings, one actually got hit by a NYC commuter bus.

If you google map where it happened, I think you will find that the wooded suburb you live in is different that the suburb that deer lives in. I live in a similar area of NJ, we have some deer sightings, one actually got hit by a NYC commuter bus.
Looked it up and there's a ton of open space forest just a block away surrounding a residential neighborhood.

https://www.dos.ny.gov/opd/programs/WFRevitalization/longisland.html
Looked it up and there's a ton of open space forest just a block away surrounding a residential neighborhood.
https://www.newsday.com/long-island/deer-killed-long-island-parks-1.27668335There are more deer than can be sustained. People are fighting against the hunting of the deer, so the population continues to grow out of control. What Open Space are you talking about and how many deer can it hold? The problem is that the deer population is growing and thus, ever expanding into residential neighborhoods. Unfortunately, the only space left for these guys is the state and local parks, and the school and soccer fields.
The plans for Long Island are for it to be “built out” by 2050- (in the planning and development agenda since the 1990’s), so the deer ‘problem’ is going to get worse.
A deer crashing through a window is sensational and catches the news. But, we have these guys being run down on suburban streets and feeding off of backyard gardens. One colleague hit three deer last year alone on the way to work. It’s just sad.

https://www.newsday.com/long-island/deer-killed-long-island-parks-1.27668335There are more deer than can be sustained. People are fighting against the hunting of the deer, so the population continues to grow out of control. What Open Space are you talking about and how many deer can it hold? The problem is that the deer population is growing and thus, ever expanding into residential neighborhoods. Unfortunately, the only space left for these guys is the state and local parks, and the school and soccer fields.
The plans for Long Island are for it to be “built out” by 2050- (in the planning and development agenda since the 1990’s), so the deer ‘problem’ is going to get worse.
A deer crashing through a window is sensational and catches the news. But, we have these guys being run down on suburban streets and feeding off of backyard gardens. One colleague hit three deer last year alone on the way to work. It’s just sad.

Looking up the location on a map was suggested. I saw there's tons of little forested area surrounding the main drag. Part of it seems to be intentional where they maintained undeveloped areas around some housing developments. In any case I'm pretty sure that they're trying to maintain at least a little bit of undeveloped open space.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/B...e341f2008dd238f!8m2!3d40.8279575!4d-73.099186
Recreational hunting is certainly not going to be allowed this close to residential neighborhoods. I've heard in similar areas such as Rock Creek Park in DC, the National Park Service has hired professional hunters to try to reduce the deer populations. Around where I live it gets kind of complicated because there's so much private property and the laws require getting permission from every owner within 100 yards of any intended hunting location. There have been people in housing developments finding bullet holes and one guy I heard had a bullet whiz past his head inside his house.

Most deer hunting here is bow and arrow, but January is guns. They are trying to expand the season because of the overpopulation of deer (unfortunately)- I like deer and am sad to see so many of them starving and getting hit by cars. Every place is different I guess, but you can’t really know a place unless you experience it.

Actually the problem isn't lack of hunting. It's human encroachment on areas where deer live and more importantly, on their natural predators. And when humans encroach, their yards, their golf courses, and their parks create perfect habitat for deer with no real predators. We grow perfect plants for them. We're unwittingly creating deer buffets and safe zones. Even logging clear cut operations create perfect habitat for deer. And no, it isn't safe to hunt in suburban areas. So that is a non starter.

Actually the problem isn't lack of hunting. It's human encroachment on areas where deer live and more importantly, on their natural predators. And when humans encroach, their yards, their golf courses, and their parks create perfect habitat for deer with no real predators. We grow perfect plants for them. We're unwittingly creating deer buffets and safe zones. Even logging clear cut operations create perfect habitat for deer. And no, it isn't safe to hunt in suburban areas. So that is a non starter.

Depends. There's been talk about perhaps capturing deer and perhaps using birth control or sterilization. And I've heard of professional hunting in suburban areas. And the fact is that a lot of people want to live in areas that feel like forests.

But the big one is that around here the deer population was once kept in check because mountain lions and bears would hunt deer. But now mountain lions live on the fringes and bears have been extirpated.

There was a pretty controversial bill passed in my small town that allowed the city to hire trained hunters to come into the area and thin the deer population through bow hunting. Done professionally and properly, it can be done safely.

There's another suburb that a friend of mine lives in that has a law on the books that states if someone can get permission of their neighbors, any continuous yard area larger than a certain size (like 5 acres) can be legally hunted on (again, bow hunting). My friend has gotten a couple deer each of the last few years on his property.

There was a pretty controversial bill passed in my small town that allowed the city to hire trained hunters to come into the area and thin the deer population through bow hunting. Done professionally and properly, it can be done safely.

There's another suburb that a friend of mine lives in that has a law on the books that states if someone can get permission of their neighbors, any continuous yard area larger than a certain size (like 5 acres) can be legally hunted on (again, bow hunting). My friend has gotten a couple deer each of the last few years on his property.
This sounds like someplace near here...

For several years Michigan has had a trend of the deer population becoming more predominant in the southern areas than had been for a few decades. Just this week on the rural outskirts of the metro Detroit area a driver was killed when a deer was struck by an oncoming car, thrown into the victim's car causing a fatal crash. As I understand it the area is more rural than suburban, a coworker described it as cider mill country, but it actually is part of the Tri County area surrounding Detroit. We've had news reports the past few years of deer crashing into suburban restaurants and homes.

For several years Michigan has had a trend of the deer population becoming more predominant in the southern areas than had been for a few decades. Just this week on the rural outskirts of the metro Detroit area a driver was killed when a deer was struck by an oncoming car, thrown into the victim's car causing a fatal crash. As I understand it the area is more rural than suburban, a coworker described it as cider mill country, but it actually is part of the Tri County area surrounding Detroit. We've had news reports the past few years of deer crashing into suburban restaurants and homes.

It's kind of complicated. A lot of people like living in a semi-rural area with trees and bushes everywhere that are excellent foraging grounds for deer, elk, and even moose. That kind of describes where I live. We're somewhat OK with the deer, turkeys, and other animals that don't seem all that aggressive, but we freak out every time there's a bear or mountain lion sighting. In rural areas farmers are extremely fearful of wolves. Other than that, there aren't too many carnivores in North America that can take down deer other than maybe fawns.

And I sort of get that there's more people living in such areas. My neighborhood has been around for 6 decades, but certainly there are new housing developments being built. My BIL and his family live in a semi-rural area that still has horse ranches (a trailhead a couple of doors from his place says horses can't enter through it), but where the developments were deliberately built around forests and trails where one might find deer.

Even then - this is highly unusual for a deer to enter a business through a window. It sounds more like it was disoriented. They'll usually avoid a main drag like the one in front of the hair salon.

Last edited:
It's kind of complicated. A lot of people like living in a semi-rural area with trees and bushes everywhere that are excellent foraging grounds for deer, elk, and even moose. That kind of describes where I live. We're somewhat OK with the deer, turkeys, and other animals that don't seem all that aggressive, but we freak out every time there's a bear or mountain lion sighting. In rural areas farmers are extremely fearful of wolves. Other than that, there aren't too many carnivores in North American that can take down deer other than maybe fawns.

And I sort of get that there's more people living in such areas. My neighborhood has been around for 6 decades, but certainly there are new housing developments being built. My BIL and his family live in a semi-rural area that still has horse ranches (a trailhead a couple of doors from his place says horses can't enter through it), but where the developments were deliberately built around forests and trails where one might find deer.

Even then - this is highly unusual for a deer to enter a business through a window. It sounds more like it was disoriented. They'll usually avoid a main drag like the one in front of the hair salon.
Lol, in my suburban/urban area, the turkeys are aggressive, my friend was rescued by a UPS driver after putting out her garbage cans. I’ve lived here for over 50 years, third generation, and there has been no new development, but there has been south and west, and now these animals are where they don’t belong.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter