Very Scary, Not so Scary, and Everything In Between! šŸŽƒ Updated 12/9. Last day**

I have never used curbside check-in before, I will have to look out for that! I have so much trouble scanning those kiosks too, I usually end up waving my phone around every direction for a few minutes until it decides to suddenly scan. Hooray for fast security, MSP is the best. Impressive to not have coffee with such an early flight! Wrong car, oh no!

I think one of my credit cards comes with a free Instacart+ membership so I will have to activate that ahead of my upcoming trips, it sounds so convenient. Those summer temperatures in FL are no joke! Portofino looks beautiful, I haven't seen any of the Universal resorts and I really need to change that. And a Starbucks inside? Sold! :laughing:

Glad to see you arrived safe and sound after your hiccup with the Lyft šŸ˜±šŸ¤£
My sister-in-law is currently in Portofino Italy and honestly your photos could be hers. Hotel looks beautiful. We always order groceries for the room usually with garden grocer but instacart sounds like it offers a good service too. Very handy having snacks and drinks in the comfort of your own room when youā€™re peckish.
Looking forward to hearing how your ticket situation panned out and how many G rated rides you managed to do.

The do it yourself kiosks and tagging your own luggage always comes with a snag!

I literally HATE this. Though at BDL, where I fly out of it was super easy, we just tagged it and pushed it through a hole...they didn't even weigh it. Coming home from MCO was ridiculous. All the kiosks were broken, they people "helping" are super rude, and after you finally figure out the kiosks, the LINE to give your luggage was insane.

I ordered the ride and it was a black Camry, well a black Camry pulls up and my phone is saying the car is here. The driver comes out as I walk toward him, he has a mask on and I thought he said Caroline, he didnā€™t speak much English. I say yes, we get in and he takes off and before we get to far he says you are Kelly? Oh oh, wrong car.

Oh, NO!! Caroline! Always check the license plate!!

Now, I can hear Andi yelling at me, MOM, always check the license plate!!

Yes, listen to Andi!

Stay tuned for our very hot first afternoon and evening at Universal studios. This will be the G rated portion. Dā€™s ticket isnā€™t working and mine needs some work as well! Yikes, will we be able to ride all the kiddie rides this evening for our G rated night??

You have something more than a G-rated version down there?

I have never used curbside check-in before, I will have to look out for that! I have so much trouble scanning those kiosks too, I usually end up waving my phone around every direction for a few minutes until it decides to suddenly scan. Hooray for fast security, MSP is the best. Impressive to not have coffee with such an early flight! Wrong car, oh no!
Curbside is the best. If you fly Delta use it. The skycaps are wonderful. All you need to do is show your passport and they do everything else, including putting your luggage on the scale! It is a time saver and they will print you a boarding pass as well in case the phone one has a glitch.
MSP is a dream compared to MCO ( a true nightmare, lol šŸ˜†)
Andi was so upset when I told her about the Lyft. She is the mom now :rotfl:
I think one of my credit cards comes with a free Instacart+ membership so I will have to activate that ahead of my upcoming trips, it sounds so convenient. Those summer temperatures in FL are no joke! Portofino looks beautiful, I haven't seen any of the Universal resorts and I really need to change that. And a Starbucks inside? Sold! :laughing:
If you can get a deal with Instacart use it. Also try ordering from Aldi instead of Publix which is way more expensive!
Portofino is gorgeous and the SB is so convenient! All the deluxe resorts at Universal have a SB!
Great trip report so far! Looking forward to reading more!
:welcome::flower1: Thank you for joining!
Glad to see you arrived safe and sound after your hiccup with the Lyft
I will never live that one down with Andi! She gave me a lecture:rotfl:
My sister-in-law is currently in Portofino Italy and honestly your photos could be hers. Hotel looks beautiful
I have seen pictures of Portofino, Italy and I think Universal has done a great job creating the seaside area
We always order groceries for the room usually with garden grocer but instacart sounds like it offers a good service too. Very handy having snacks and drinks in the comfort of your own room when youā€™re peckish.
Looking forward to hearing how your ticket situation panned out and how many G rated rides you managed to do.
I use to always use Garden Grocer but like everything else the price keeps going up for the service. Instacart does have trials which make it more affordable for me! I love having snacks in the room and cost effective when staying at WDW and US.
Coming up our G rated evening!
I literally HATE this. Though at BDL, where I fly out of it was super easy, we just tagged it and pushed it through a hole...they didn't even weigh it. Coming home from MCO was ridiculous. All the kiosks were broken, they people "helping" are super rude, and after you finally figure out the kiosks, the LINE to give your luggage was insane.
Orlando is a nightmare. This is why I always use the Delta skycaps if I can. It is so much easier and no waiting in lines except security!
Oh, NO!! Caroline! Always check the license plate!!
I know, big mistake! Andi gave me a lecture, she is the mom now :rotfl2:
You have something more than a G-rated version down there?
Yes HHN is terrifying!

Part 2 of 9/6/22

After enjoying our pizza and drinks, We headed out to Universal Studios. I knew my ticket voucher had to be converted to an actual ticket at guest services so we went there first.

IMG_2022-10-2-081307.jpg
I talked with the Team Member and got my ticket. I showed Dā€™s ticket on my phone to her. She did a few things and told us to show her ticket on my phone at the entrance.

We headed to the entrance and when the TM scanned Dā€™s ticket, she said it was expired and we had to go back to guest services! Yikes šŸ˜±

Dā€™s ticket was from 2021, however, I had called and was told it would still be valid. This was from our trip we canceled in 2021.

We headed back to guest services and had to wait awhile in the direct sun. Wow was it hot.

It was finally our turn. We explained the situation and the TM was very helpful. She was able to issue D her ticket šŸŽŸ. It was very nice to get an actual ticket like mine.

It is more convenient putting the tickets and express pass in your lanyard. It is way easier than using your phone every time you enter the park.

We went back to the entrance and we were in! Our first stop was ET! I told you it was G rated. I love this ride! The smell in here is awesome. I have a scentsy melt with this aroma and I love it.
IMG_2022-10-2-081705.jpg
I was surprised how busy US was this late afternoon. It was a non HHN day so that might be why. We had a 5 minute wait with EP, yay šŸ˜€

We said hello to ET and headed out towards MIB. We walked through the Simpson area. Again, I was surprised how busy it was for a Tuesday in early September. I have been at this time before and it is usually very low crowds.
IMG_2022-10-2-081753.jpg
I had my little fanny pack on so we didnā€™t need a locker.

Most of the rides at US and IOA require you to remove backpacks, purses, and phones. You will need to use a locker for most rides. If you use a fanny pack you can keep it on for some of the rides!

MIB was a very short wait with EP. I am terrible at this ride. D had a better score than me! It is a fun ride and I like it better than Buzz at MK.

Did I say it was hot šŸ„µ this was the hottest day of our trip!

We walked towards Diagon Alley. The plan was to take the Hogwarts express to IOA. I love Kings Cross station and the train.

Remember keeping it G. šŸ˜‰

We stopped so I could yell ā€œKreacherā€. People always look at me like I am crazy šŸ˜œ. Kreacher is in the window at 12 Grimmauld place and he peeks out every so often.
IMG_2022-10-2-081514.jpg
IMG_2022-10-2-081408.jpg
I got a picture here and we went to the train station and it was down, bummer. The TMā€™s said it was down for the rest of the day. :sad:

We checked out the Knight Bus and I showed D the back of the bus. Thanks to @shumigirl, the back is never crowded and you can see in the bus. It is really cool.
IMG_2022-10-2-081831.jpg
We headed into Diagon Alley. It was time for a frozen butter beer and a lemonade. We sat down and shared both. We watched people using their interactive wands. It was fun to take in the atmosphere.

We watched the dragon breathe fire šŸ”„ and walked around Knockturn alley.
IMG_6209.jpg
IMG_6208.jpg
We passed on Gringotts this evening. The wait was 70 minutes and even with the EP it would be a wait we were not up to.

The early travel day was kicking in, along with the hot weather.

We decided to head out and relax at the resort for the rest of the evening.

We stopped in the Universal store and took a few pictures of items Ms. Andi would like.
IMG_2022-10-2-083041.jpg
IMG_2022-10-2-083201.jpg
We stopped at Salā€™s deli and picked up two Stella Artois and had the rest of the pizza with our beer.

Our room was very quiet except our toilet would make a screeching noise each time it was flushed. o_O

Ghost šŸ‘» haunting in our room?? Fit our HHN theme.

Universal resort has a great text feature. It allows you to text with the front lobby staff. It would not work in our room. Poor Wi-Fi and cell service.

I would call in the morning about the toilet noise.

I have started to wear ear plugs in the resorts now and it really helps, I do not hear anything!

We watched a little TV and called it a night.

Stay tuned for our first full day and we will be stepping into PG-13/R territory!
ā€œIā€™m not scared, you are scared!ā€ šŸ˜±

It is 4am before we knew it!

Always happens too fast.

My plan was to use the Delta curbside check in, however, when we arrived it wasnā€™t open yet.

Bummer, I really like using curbside too.]

The do it yourself kiosks and tagging your own luggage always comes with a snag!

I always have trouble too.

I watched Jurassic World šŸŒŽ, perfect movie for arriving at Universal. The show was long, lasted almost the whole flight and was just okay. The dinosaurā€™s in this one, a little much, lol!

Perfect choice to get you ready. We saw it in theaters and wasn't really impressed, it was just ok.

Now, I can hear Andi yelling at me, MOM, always check the license plate!! Oh boy, not the best start. Iā€™m just glad he wasnā€™t a kidnapper or serial killer šŸ˜Æ

Oh dear! I've only done Lyft twice and have never done it without Danielle. I would make the same mistake.

Area where are room is

Lovely.

The pizza was the Salvatore, it was sweet Italian sausage, pepperoni, and mushrooms.
IMG_2022-10-1-095552.jpg
Yum that looks good.

We headed back to guest services and had to wait awhile in the direct sun. Wow was it hot.

Don't you just hate when you have to go back? It's such a waste of time.

Did I say it was hot šŸ„µ this was the hottest day of our trip!

I know what it's like when it's hot and you just don't get done what you think you're going too. Very important to take breaks and stay hydrated.

I got a picture here and we went to the train station and it was down, bummer.

Cut picture! Bummer on the station being down.

We watched people using their interactive wands. It was fun to take in the atmosphere.

I love people watching. I don't pay attention to people when I'm walking trying to get somewhere but once I sit down I do.

Our room was very quiet except our toilet would make a screeching noise each time it was flushed. o_O

Oh no! :scared1:

Glad you got Dā€™s ticket sorted and got a hard copy. Iā€™d have gone straight to ET too. Love that ride so much especially the walk through to get on the bikes- great atmosphere. Also enjoy when he says ā€œgoodbye Moiraā€ at the end.
I have never looked inside the Knight bus- very cool!

Oops on the Lyft snafoo! My parents had the same thing happen to them the first time they UBER-ed without me. They were in New Orleans and hopped into the wrong red Chevy Malibu. They didn't realize til they were much further from the airport though, and somehow ended up getting the driver to cancel the ride and they paid him in cash. I'm sure this is not condoned by Uber...or their daughter, who also gave them a firm lecture on checking the license plate when they told me the story!!!

Our first stop was ET! I told you it was G rated. I love this ride! The smell in here is awesome. I have a scentsy melt with this aroma and I love it.
I ADORE this ride, too!!! Ooooh, is it a Scentsy branded melt that smells just right or did you order it elsewhere?? I must have it! :)
We stopped so I could yell ā€œKreacherā€. People always look at me like I am crazy šŸ˜œ.
We do this, too!!! And always take a peek in the back end of the Knight Bus, too! I think I learned about that from Liesa!

Oh my goodness! I can only imagine what Andi said when you told her the lyft story lol glad you were able to work it out though! Sounds like a great first day!

Bummer, I really like using curbside too.]
I love curbside in the larger airports! Such a time saver.
Perfect choice to get you ready. We saw it in theaters and wasn't really impressed, it was just ok.
I agree, a little over the top and bigger isnā€™t always better :rotfl:
Oh dear! I've only done Lyft twice and have never done it without Danielle. I would make the same mistake.
Not a good move as I am trying to be the expert traveler here! :sad2:
Yum that looks good.
The pizza was delicious šŸ˜‹
Don't you just hate when you have to go back? It's such a waste of time.
Yes, we had to talk to 3 different TMs before we had it resolved!
I know what it's like when it's hot and you just don't get done what you think you're going too. Very important to take breaks and stay hydrated.
The first day is always trying. I should know by now to just hang at the resort! We are always tired and feeling a little off balance from the flight!
Cut picture! Bummer on the station being down.
Thank you! It really was I love this attraction
I love people watching. I don't pay attention to people when I'm walking trying to get somewhere but once I sit down I do.
Same! It was really fun to watch the kids and adults make the rain and squirting water with the wands!

Glad you got Dā€™s ticket sorted and got a hard copy. Iā€™d have gone straight to ET too. Love that ride so much especially the walk through to get on the bikes- great atmosphere. Also enjoy when he says ā€œgoodbye Moiraā€ at the end.
I have never looked inside the Knight bus- very cool!
Yes, I was a little nervous since I bought from undercover tourist over a year ago.
ET is one of my all time favorite rides, I sure hope they donā€™t remove it!
I love when he says goodbye,it wasnā€™t working the best for us, bummer!
Thanks to Carole for talking about in her TR otherwise I would never have known about it! Way to go Universal for showing the inside and outside of the Knight Bus!

Oops on the Lyft snafoo! My parents had the same thing happen to them the first time they UBER-ed without me. They were in New Orleans and hopped into the wrong red Chevy Malibu.
Haha Iā€™m glad Iā€™m not the only one! This guy would not take us to our destination. The language barrier was also a big problem! I did feel bad for him, he looked worried like he was going to get in trouble.
ended up getting the driver to cancel the ride and they paid him in cash. I'm sure this is not condoned by Uber...or their daughter, who also gave them a firm lecture on checking the license plate when they told me the story!!!
Iā€™m glad it worked out for your parents, you sound like Andi, I did get a firm lecture!
I ADORE this ride, too!!! Ooooh, is it a Scentsy branded melt that smells just right or did you order it elsewhere?? I must have it!
Love it! Andi bought it for me. I think from Etsy it is called Extra terrestrial adventure by park scents. It nailed the ET smell. I feel like I am there!
We do this, too!!! And always take a peek in the back end of the Knight Bus, too! I think I learned about that from Liesa!
It is really cool and no one is ever back there!

Oh my goodness! I can only imagine what Andi said when you told her the lyft story lol glad you were able to work it out though! Sounds like a great first day!
Thank you! We had a good outcome and a lecture from Andi! Overall it was a great travel day!

9/7/22. ā€œIā€™m not scared youā€™re scared!ā€

We had a great nightā€™s sleep. My bed was super comfortable and the ear plugs wow, where have these little foam wonders been all my trips?

Our plan was to spend time in the parks and come back to rest before the Horror! This first part of the day was definitely rated G and a little PG.

I called the front desk about the toilet, since the texting wasnā€™t working in the room. I also noticed my sink was slow to drain so I mentioned that as well.

A really nice maintenance lady came and she had to replace something in the toilet tank. A toilet expert I am not, unless cleaning the toilet, I know nothing, haha!.

She went to get the parts and we headed out. It was around 9am.

It was a beautiful day, yet very hot again. We used the boat transportation to the park. I love sitting on the boat listening to Sweet Caroline! Who wouldnā€™t. I mean Neil Diamond wrote a song about me! Well in my mind he did. They always play my favorite song šŸŽµ I have had patients over the years sing me this song and tell me I fit the description, isnā€™t that sweet?

The boat captains are very friendly and often tell some corny dad jokes.

We decided to go to IOA first. One thing about this trip is we took it easy. No rushing for us! The weather somewhat dictated this and we didnā€™t have Andi running us from one end of the park to the other.

It really was a nice change of pace.

I have labeled myself a certified ride chicken as most of you know! The most thrilling ride I have done lately is Hagridā€™s and it really scares me! We had decided on this trip, we were not going to stress ourselves out and do attractions that scare us! Well except going through multiple terrifying dark haunted houses! Yikes šŸ˜± I do not like haunted houses! My sister on the other hand, loves them. To build up my confidence I chanted the mantra ā€œIā€™m not scared youā€™re scaredā€ over and over to her. She knew I would make her go first in all the houses and I would be screaming the whole time! More to come on that laterā€¦.

We missed the park open crowds and got right into IOA and headed straight to Spider-Man. This would be our first ride.

We had the unlimited express pass for each of our days. This is a perk when you stay in a deluxe resort at Universal. This is a wonderful perk, especially when you could pay on average a $100.00 per person per day!

We had a thrilling ride with Spider-Man and as always he saves the day!

It was time to visit Skull Island and see if we can spot King Kong!

We walked on with EP and had a row to ourselves on the far right so we could get a good visual of Kong!

Both of us really liked the ride. It is action packed with a mix of screens and animatronics.

We walked through Jurassic Park area and took a few pictures but didnā€™t ride anything here.
IMG_2022-10-7-091007.jpg

It was time to go back to a G rating and visit Suess Landing.

I love this colorful area. We rode the Trolley first. You really get a great view of the park from up here.
IMG_2022-10-7-091059.jpg
We also did Cat in the Hat and new to us, One Fish, Two Fish. I have never done this because Andi never wants to get wet! The ride is like Dumbo except with fish and some squirting water here and there. Spoiler, we didnā€™t get wet at all! It is a cute little ride.
IMG_2022-10-7-091150.jpg
IMG_2022-10-7-091243.jpg

Our plan was to get on the Hogwarts express since it was down the day before. Well, it was still not functioning! Such a bummer! Spoiler alert , We never got to ride it.

We looked around a little in Hogsmeade but it was very crowded in there.

We headed back towards Poseidonā€™s Fury and we found the Halloween store in IOA. We really enjoyed walking through this store. It was set-up like old school Halloween. I wanted to buy so many things. I didnā€™t buy anything!
IMG_2022-10-7-091636.jpg

IMG_2022-10-7-091603.jpg

We headed out without much of a plan. We did get to see the water fountain talking and it was very cool to watch that.

I have never done Poseidonā€™s Fury so why not? We went in the EP side and we did end up waiting a good 20 minutes or so, at least it was in air conditioning. We enjoyed the show with all the water effects. I donā€™t think you need to do multiple times but give it a try once.
IMG_2022-10-7-091328.jpg

It was time to take a little break and get lunch. We decided on Mythos. We didnā€™t have a reservation. I asked about a walk up and we were seated in about 5 minutes. We had a nice 4 top towards the back of the restaurant. It was very nice to relax in the aircon!

We had the nicest waiter. This set the tone for our trip! We lucked out this trip with awesome wait staff! Our waiter here gave us some suggestions for drinks. I ordered the Navigating Stars. This was rum, fresh mint, sour mix, club soda and muddled grapes šŸ‡ I loved this drink! Probably my favorite of the trip. D had the Mythos Cucumber Martini šŸø This had cucumber vodka, gin, elderflower liqueur, cucumber slices, and lime juice. This was very refreshing and strong! D liked it but did like mine better.
IMG_2022-10-7-091854.jpg

We decided to share a couple appetizers and the signature lamb burger. Our appetizers:

Semolina crusted Calamari, flash fried calamari, with Spanish chorizo aioli, charred lemon. This was the best calamari appetizer I have ever had and I am a calamari snob! This was delicious, very delicate and the aioli yum. Sorry we had dug in before the picture, ugh šŸ˜‘
IMG_2022-10-7-092038.jpg
I was bad this trip without Andi to remind me to get a picture before we dove in!

We also ordered the Spanakopita Dip, this was a blend of spinach, feta, lemon, and herbs. Served hot with fresh pita chips seasoned with zaā€™atar spice and fresh cucumber/olives.
IMG_2022-10-7-091947.jpg
This was also a hit. The fresh homemade pita and dip went so well with our drinks.

The lamb burger was also very tasty, we split this and I totally failed on a picture of it. The burger came with fries. This burger came back to haunt us just like Horror nights! Stay tuned!

We thoroughly enjoyed this relaxing lunch with delicious food!

The waiter was very attentive and nice. We left very satisfied!

We decided to head back to the resort to rest before the Horror R rated portion of the evening!

I wanted to get a few donuts at Vodoo donuts before we took the boat back to the resort. I failed to take a picture of our donuts. We picked out the Vodoo doll, filled with raspberry jelly, the peanut butter cookie, and a custard donut. We snacked on these for the next two days and really enjoyed them.

Our toilet and sink were fixed and the TM left us a nice note!

Coming up soon ā€œWho and what is the weeknd and why did he invite us to his party!ā€ o_O :scared1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter