Verandah With A 4 Yr Old

nixieh

Here in rainy London wishing we were in sunny Flor
Having pretty much decided on a cat 4 room for the 5 of us rather than 2 cat 9s as I liked the idea of a veranda I am now worrrying whether I will spend all the time worrying about my 4 yr old DD going out on the verandah. My other 2 DDs will be 7 and 9 when we go.

I know there is lots of advice on the benefits of a veranda versus saving the money etc but from a safety point of view do people with younger children prefer a verandah or not?

Thanks

Nicola

We had it once with a 2 year old, and a 5 year old, and I was plenty nervous beforehand...But believe me, I had trouble opening and shutting the door. It is very childproof (35 I am..lol) Having said that, I would NEVER leave them outside alone, as there are chairs and a table, and well...enough said..

I think you will find it very safe indeed, and a nice haven to retreat to at times..

Hope that helped.. :goodvibes

I was worried about my child climbing on the verandah when we went on the Wonder in May. He, too, is 4. However, he did great, and he didn't try to climb at all. There really wasn't anything that he could get a good grip on to help the climbing if he wanted to that I could see. I think being able to see clearly through the plexiglass made it where he really didn't see the need to climb. We, of course, locked the door to the verandah when we weren't out there with him but I really didn't feel that he was in any danger when we were all out there.

OH, I forgot about the table and chairs. I guess he could have climbed on those had he had the desire. And believe me, at home he is a climber (always on the back of the couch, etc). Also, like mommasita said, the door is hard enought for an adult to get open. Have a great trip.

Joshua,

Yes, the locks are at the top of the sliding doors. Probably, 6 feet off the ground. The locks are not simple to open - even for an adult. :wave2:

Thanks, that makes me feel better. The boys tend to wake up and start their morning trouble before we are moving around, and I was a little freaked out about the doors. I was reading a thread yesterday about how many people actually go overboard and got a little concerned.

I have a funny story about our verandah. We were traveling with our then DD who was 1, who was very dependent on her pacifier. On embarkation day we were all standing out on our verandah taking in the view and then my DD threw her pacifier over board. It landed on the life boat underneath the verandah. For the whole 3 night cruise she would go out there everyday and yell for her paci to come back, because she could easily see it on the boat. Thank heavens I packed 2 new ones or we would have never survived the trip. I only wished a a worker would have been able to get it for me. But in regards to your child you don't have anything to worry about.

Courtney

It was MUCH better with the plexi glass verandah than a solid metal one with a child...the first cruise she couldn't see anything unless she stood up on a chair to look over or I held her (I held her on the chair too!) since it was a solid metal one...I learned my lesson from that one and only book the plexi ones now where she can see just standing there. A funny thing was last cruise with a verandah the lock was broken, if we locked it then we would have to call guest services and they had to send someone with a screwdriver to open it so they said to just leave it unlocked which we did....figured they would fix it when we were gone..well months and months later someone on here mentioned how the lock on their verandah didnt work and it was the same room LOL..they never fixed the darn thing!

I hope that the locks are all working in our room!!! My boys given the chance would certainly climb up on the chairs or tables just to get a better look. They have no fear of heights at all. My 3 year old is just out of a cast due to a broken foot from jumping :Pinkbounc from the top of the slide, he thought it would be soooo much more fun then just sliding. :sad2:

My DD is now 8 but we have had veranda rooms since she was 4 on several different ships. She has never attempted to climp on the railing nor the furniture on the veranda. I still do not leave her alone on the veranda but have never had a problem with her.

As for the lock on the door. It is pretty high up. At night, I would put some of her toys at the bottom of the door that would make noise if she started to walk around. Nothing she could climb on but just something to make noise. She was so tired from the kids clubs...she never moved off of the bed until morning.

Enjoy your veranda!

Desiree

Thanks everyone, you have put my mind at rest about the veranda, now just got to decide whether we want the 17/8/06 or the 24/8/06!

Nicola ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!