Verandah or Deck 2 room - if seasick

Cameo

DIS Veteran
If I'm pretty sure I'll be prone to seasickness, would I be better off with a verandah room (Deck 6) for the fresh air or a Deck 2 room (lower in the ship)? Anyone have experience with the difference? Thanks!

Take some Bonnie, keep it on hand, and enjoy your verandah.

Have a wonderful time. :boat:

I have stayed on both decks. I am not prone to sea sickness,
but you will feel a lot more movement on deck 6 than deck 2.
The verandah is wonderful, but you can't beat the smooth
sailing and quietness on deck 2. Enjoy and have a great cruise!

~ Sandie

I agree, we have had cabins on decks 1,5 and 7. Verandahs are lovely, but we didnt spend much time on ours. By far, deck 1 was the best place for sailing if you are prone to sickness. Deck 7 aft was lovely, but the wardrobe doors were back and forth all night with the motion of the sea.:Pinkbounc Nat

I'm going the other way.... get the verandah. Even if you don't need it if sick, but it will be nice to have if you are, you will love having it and be spoiled by it. Try SeaBands too. They work great.

I've not stayed in a room without a verandah, but I find having the verandah a nice way to get some fresh air. I, too, am prone to seasickness and the Bonine really helped. Staying mid-ship helped too. It was great to be able to use the horizon as a stable reference point. Besides, one of my kids hits the sack early, the other is a night owl and sleeps in late :rolleyes: so having the verandah was nice because we had somewhere to go and not feel trapped in the room while a kid was sleeping. :)

The closet doors have velcro on them to keep them from sliding around. The ONLY time we had trouble with them was during 15 ft seas. Had I thought about it then, I would have propped it open with a pillow, but honestly there was so much other creaking and shifting going on that night it wouldn't have made that much of a difference.

HTH

We just booked a cabin with a Verandah to have the extra "place to go" for when the kids are sleeping.

I haven't sailed before, so I don't know about seasickness, but I'm curious about "Bonnie" -- we're sailing in March so I need to be prepared :) I used Seabands when I was pregnant and they worked then. Wonder if I still have them.......

Cameo,

we have always had verandahs when sailing, but . . . . . . I too agree with the previous post that says placement on the ship is important too - mid ship for less rocking and rolling; although I have been lucky to not get seasick, did feel a bit queasy once in 18 foot seas - but crackers and a nap helped a lot!

don't let the fear of 'what if' spoil your plans - you will have so much to see and do it will definitely keep your mind occupied; the verandah will be a lovely escape and a great perch to people watch from if docked on that side!

MamaQuack

Remember the ship usually only moves at night while you are sleeping. Best place thought is aft and lower desks to not feel the effects.

My husband is a boater for years. Remember Aft and lower down.

And I believe Bonnie was spelled wrong.. It is call Bonine and acts similiar to Dramamine but does not make you drowsy. My Mom uses it when she flys.

I haven't sailed yet either.

A friend who is a frequent cruiser didnt seem to notice the difference between a low deck and a high deck with verandah when it came to sea sickness. There first cruises they stayed on lower decks because that was what they were advised. They did this twice and ever since stayed where they wanted.

Doesn't help much I know :(

My case I went Deck 8 and I'll just take the bonine along and hope for the best outcome.

Stacey

I was seasick our first night and having a verandah saved my life. BEing out in the fresh air was so nice. The good thing about having a verandah is --since you don't really feel too good, it's nice to be by yourself and not up on deck where you have to "make nice" with other folks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!