Vancouver Suggestions?

thompj7188

Earning My Ears
We are flying out for our Alaskan cruise tomorrow! We will be spending two days in Vancouver before we sail away. I was wondering if anyone has any restaurants or things to do that you would recommend?

Havent been but we go for our cruise next month so have been researching. I hear Stanley Park is great. Also on this board I read about Cactus Club.
Grouse mountain is nice I hear and many years ago my parents said they went to a nice restaurant there.

ps have fun. Would love to see the navigators/ get info on dining menu schedule and show schedule please if you can!

Definitely make it to Stanley Park. We did the Aquarium there, Miniature train ride, we only walked around the right half of the park, saw the totems, 'girl in a wetsuit', etc., along the seawall.

Tons of places to visit in Vancouver, so it all depends on what you're interested in.

We went to Lynn Canyon State Park--got a public transit daypass: took the seabus over to North Vancouver (Lonsdale Quay), then a bus near Lynn Canyon State Park. Walked there from the bus stop. It is a free suspension bridge, smaller than Capilano, also less crowded. Took the bus back to Lonsdale Quay and explored that before taking the seabus back.

Last edited:
We are flying out for our Alaskan cruise tomorrow! We will be spending two days in Vancouver before we sail away. I was wondering if anyone has any restaurants or things to do that you would recommend?
Mean Poutine is a fantastic place to eat. It is located on Nelson Street near Granville. Granville is a great street to walk down and so is Robson. Stanley Park is fabulous! We took the public ferry to Lonsdale Quay Market for lunch. Tons of variety and great place to hang out. Loads to do in Vancouver; it's a beautiful city!

Enjoy your cruise!

MUN

You are smart to spend a couple of days in Vancouver before your cruise. It is a fantastic city!

On our trip in 2014, we enjoyed Stanley Park, Granville Island, and Queen Elizabeth Park (beautiful gardens and nice views of the city). FlyOver Canada was also a huge hit with my group of 7 (which included ages ranging from 8 to 77).

We ate at the Old Spaghetti Factory in the Gastown area. It was basic Italian fare (it's part of a chain, I think), but it was very kid-friendly and everyone left full and happy. I'm sure there are better places to eat for local cuisine, but if you are traveling with kids, this would be a safe bet.

Have a great trip!

I was wondering if anyone has any restaurants or things to do that you would recommend?
What time is you flight arriving? Which hotel? We can build an itinerary to best for your schedule...
  • Friday
  • Saturday
    • Grouse Mountain
    • Capilano Suspension Bridge on the return (no mention of the 5pm discount on the website yet.)
  • Sunday
    • Hop On service with time in Stanley Park, Gastown and Granville Island
  • Monday
    • Embarkaton on the Wonder with dreams on returning to Vancouver because did you not give yourself enough time to see it all

What time is you flight arriving? Which hotel? We can build an itinerary to best for your schedule...
  • Friday
  • Saturday
    • Grouse Mountain
    • Capilano Suspension Bridge on the return (no mention of the 5pm discount on the website yet.)
  • Sunday
    • Hop On service with time in Stanley Park, Gastown and Granville Island
  • Monday
    • Embarkaton on the Wonder with dreams on returning to Vancouver because did you not give yourself enough time to see it all
We don't arrive until 8 pm tonight so I doubt we will have time to do flyover Canada before it closes. We will be staying at Fairmont Waterfront so we are hoping there will be a good bit to do close by. Thanks for all of the recommendations! I am sure we will be back to Vancouver. It looks like a wonderful city.

We stayed at Fairmont Waterfront as well. Our room was the perfect view in the morning to watch the Wonder docking!!

We did the Stanley Park horse drawn trolley tour and Capilano suspension Bridge. Both were great!

Steamworks Grill was a short walk into downtown from the Fairmont and we were seated with a harbor view. Food was great and reasonably priced.

Are you sailing on the Wonder? We were the first sailing on the Wonder last spring and had amazing weather.

Have a wonderful trip!

We stayed at Fairmont Waterfront as well. Our room was the perfect view in the morning to watch the Wonder docking!!

We did the Stanley Park horse drawn trolley tour and Capilano suspension Bridge. Both were great!

Steamworks Grill was a short walk into downtown from the Fairmont and we were seated with a harbor view. Food was great and reasonably priced.

Are you sailing on the Wonder? We were the first sailing on the Wonder last spring and had amazing weather.

Have a wonderful trip!
Thanks for the suggestions! Yes, we will be sailing on the Wonder. Fingers crossed we will have great weather as well! :)

We don't arrive until 8 pm tonight so I doubt we will have time to do flyover Canada before it closes. We will be staying at Fairmont Waterfront so we are hoping there will be a good bit to do close by. Thanks for all of the recommendations! I am sure we will be back to Vancouver. It looks like a wonderful city.
The Fairmont Waterfront is conveniently across the street from the cruise terminal, as well as shuttles to Grouse/Capilano.

The only change to my suggested schedule to do Fly Over Canada on Saturday after Grouse and Capilano.

Last edited:
We are going in August (after Alaska) and plan to spend 1st day renting bicycles on Denman or Robson, and then touring Stanley Park and visiting a few of the museums and beaches there.

There is a good Maritime Museum and in the summer a Minor League baseball team, all accessible via their transit system.

IMO, "Gastown" is overrated, a lot of hot air.

Asian and seafood are awesome, but plenty of other options. This place is incredibly cosmopolitan for its size due to the mix of immigrants and people from all over Canada.

We ate at the Old Spaghetti Factory in the Gastown area. It was basic Italian fare (it's part of a chain, I think), but it was very kid-friendly and everyone left full and happy. I'm sure there are better places to eat for local cuisine, but if you are traveling with kids, this would be a safe bet.
Definitely kid-friendly! I'm smiling b/c that's where school groups used to eat on field trips to downtown St. Louis, MO, in the 1980s when I was a kid. I haven't been to one since then, but I need to take my kids some day. We thought it was the best. :) How funny that it has a location in Vancouver now!

@thompj7188 I second the request for any information you would be willing to share when you get back. :yay:

We are sailing in June and would love to see navigators or just general thoughts on your cruise.

Also, would love to hear if you sail up Tracy Arm. I heard that last year they had to detour to Endicott Arm because of too much ice in Tracy Arm for the ship to safely navigate.

Definitely kid-friendly! I'm smiling b/c that's where school groups used to eat on field trips to downtown St. Louis, MO, in the 1980s when I was a kid. I haven't been to one since then, but I need to take my kids some day. We thought it was the best. :) How funny that it has a location in Vancouver now!

We had one in Fort Worth Texas. I loved that one because it was in an old meat packing factory so it truly did look like a Spaghetti Warehouse!

We loved Carderos restaurant, right on the water, beautiful views great food.
The capilano suspension bridge and the aquarium were big highlights for us.
Also enjoyed Granville island

Mean Poutine is a fantastic place to eat. It is located on Nelson Street near Granville. Granville is a great street to walk down and so is Robson. Stanley Park is fabulous! We took the public ferry to Lonsdale Quay Market for lunch. Tons of variety and great place to hang out. Loads to do in Vancouver; it's a beautiful city!

I'm so excited to read this about Mean Poutine! We're flying to Vancouver in 9 days & are staying one night before & one night after our cruise. I was looking at a map for restaurants close to the Fairmont Waterfront & saw this one listed. We've gone to Niagara Falls the past 2 summers & discovered poutine up there. My older daughter is super excited to have it again!

Reactions: MUN
I'm so excited to read this about Mean Poutine! We're flying to Vancouver in 9 days & are staying one night before & one night after our cruise. I was looking at a map for restaurants close to the Fairmont Waterfront & saw this one listed. We've gone to Niagara Falls the past 2 summers & discovered poutine up there. My older daughter is super excited to have it again!
They also had poutine at the Costco café across from the BC Place domed stadium. Poutine is the food that Canada is know for!

Have a great cruise!

MUN

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!