Vancouver - Late Departure Flight

WishUponAStarryNight

DIS Veteran
Our flight back to NYC leaves Vancouver at 11pm. I know we can't check in at the airport until 3 hours before. We're contemplating a post-cruise tour that will end at the airport at approximately 5pm. Any ideas on what we can do during the three hours before we check-in? Are there restaurants in the airport before security where we can have dinner? Any other thoughts? I'm sure I'll have a crabby bunch by that point and I want to have a plan. I was thinking about a day room at the Fairmont, but it's nearly $300 and I have a hard time justifying that. Maybe a shorter post-cruise tour combined with a shorter day room stay might make sense? What do you think? Thanks.

Our last visit to Vancouver airport was in Sept (2018). As I recall, there were some fast food places to eat outside of security but most of the good sit down restaurants were within the security zone. Wow, 11 pm departure. The city is beautiful and many great places to visit, but not pleasant if your're dragging your luggage around with you.

Sounds like you are taking the same flight we did last August (Cathay). We spent part of the day sightseeing, got to the airport relatively early, and had to resort to iPads / iPhones. Kids started nodding off, the airport was nearly empty, most concessions closed up. We sat right outside of the gate area for transit passengers, they force everyone off the plane, then re-board the entire plane, and only then open it up for new passengers.

Sounds like you are taking the same flight we did last August (Cathay). We spent part of the day sightseeing, got to the airport relatively early, and had to resort to iPads / iPhones. Kids started nodding off, the airport was nearly empty, most concessions closed up. We sat right outside of the gate area for transit passengers, they force everyone off the plane, then re-board the entire plane, and only then open it up for new passengers.

Yes, Cathay. How was your flight? Did you do the NYC-Vancouver red-eye as well? I'm not too concerned about DS, but we'll be with my parents, and my father...well, let's just say that sitting around an airport for hours isn't going to work.

As I recall, there were some fast food places to eat outside of security but most of the good sit down restaurants were within the security zone.

Thanks, this was my fear.

I think we're going to go the post-cruise tour, day room route. It will likely keep the peace better than any other option. We'll get to the hotel around 2 perhaps for naps all around and check out at 8 (the latest the Fairmont allows), and then spend the next 3 hours wandering the airport. I don't know that there's a better option.

Yes, Cathay. How was your flight? Did you do the NYC-Vancouver red-eye as well? I'm not too concerned about DS, but we'll be with my parents, and my father...well, let's just say that sitting around an airport for hours isn't going to work.
Yes, we flew there and back on Cathay, absolutely loved the flights. Surprisingly, these two overnight flights were much easier for our kids (6,4 and 0.7 at the time) to handle - they were asleep for most of it. Cathay is one of the better airlines overall, and flying in a large aircraft (777-300) is a better experience than a typical 737 or A320 you would get with "intra-US" flights.

We are doing it again in August.

Yes, we flew there and back on Cathay, absolutely loved the flights. Surprisingly, these two overnight flights were much easier for our kids (6,4 and 0.7 at the time) to handle - they were asleep for most of it. Cathay is one of the better airlines overall, and flying in a large aircraft (777-300) is a better experience than a typical 737 or A320 you would get with "intra-US" flights.

We are doing it again in August.
Thanks. My kiddo will be 8 and is so excited for the flight - he's flown quite a bit, but only domestically, so the larger plane is a really big deal to him. I agree that the larger planes tend to make the flight much more pleasant. The price and the baggage allowance sealed the deal for us - the less than optimal flight times are what they are.

There's a public observation area at the airport that is before security. You could do there and watch planes for a while. If you're into shopping there is also a big outlet mall that is a quite Canada Line trip from the airport.

The Fairmont has a fairly decent restaurant (a tad pricey perhaps as it's a bit more high end) called Globe@YVR that is before security. Check here for a list of all the restaurants/services by terminal and it will say whether things are before or after security. Another possibility might be booking space in a lounge. It looks to be cheaper than a day room, while also offering food options.

I like the outlet mall myself, though I guess you'd need to have your luggage with you so that might make it inconvenient. There are quite a few places to eat at that outlet.

It's going to be a long day and you're going to be crabby... just recognize that from the get go! Primary reason we booked a first thing AM flight the next day. On debarkation day we did a tour from Landsea tours... it was one of the best days of our entire vacation. We did the sea to sky tour, and the driver had us to the airport by 5pm. A bit pricey but if you compare that to just hanging around the hotel not too bad. They have lots of tours to choose from and will pick you up right at the terminal and keep your luggage on the bus. I highly recommend them! They cater to cruises just for instances like yours. Good luck!

https://vancouvertours.com/tour/sea-to-sky-tour/

PS: Happy to answer more questions re this tour if your interested...

If you walk down to the domestic terminal (they are all connected so it's not much of a walk) there are restaurants before security for you, such as White Spot.
I was in Vancouver about 3 years ago for a wedding, and my wife looked at me funny when I said I wanted to hit a White Spot.

Needless to say, I did not get to go to a White Spot.

I’m in the same boat as you @WishUponAStarryNight! Literally, LOL. Although our flight is Air Canada it also leaves at 11pm. Black Friday deal was too good to pass up!I feel like my crew might be toured out by the time we get to debarkation day, but I also worry that it’s a lot of time to spend in an airport. And DH might balk at renting the room for just a few hours too. Decisions....

I’m in the same boat as you @WishUponAStarryNight! Literally, LOL. Although our flight is Air Canada it also leaves at 11pm. Black Friday deal was too good to pass up!I feel like my crew might be toured out by the time we get to debarkation day, but I also worry that it’s a lot of time to spend in an airport. And DH might balk at renting the room for just a few hours too. Decisions....

I would also consider looking into a day room at a hotel in Richmond, especially one with an airport shuttle or close to Canada Line. Richmond hotels are cheaper than Vancouver, and probably cheaper than the Fairmont at YVR. You could catch a cab to the Steveston area for the day too.

We did a day room at the Pacific Gateway hotel in Richmond. Reasonable price, shuttle to airport.

Well that's sad :sad1: How can you come to Vancity and not get some Triple O?? :worship:
It was mostly due to a time crunch. Wedding, relatives, friends. Lots of food, not enough time to eat everything. I don’t think the hiking we did came close to offsetting the calories consumed.

It was mostly due to a time crunch. Wedding, relatives, friends. Lots of food, not enough time to eat everything. I don’t think the hiking we did came close to offsetting the calories consumed.

Haha, gotcha! Plus Triple O sauce isn't exactly calorie free :rotfl2:

For what it's worth, Vancouver is a very easy city to navigate. If you got a Day hotel near the airport to store your luggage and a place for a nap, you could then take the sky train directly into downtown and tour yourselves. Not sure what your interests are but my favourites are Stanley Park, Granville Island, Olympic Village, the science centre, and gas town. Not sure about the airport piece though. We always drive to Van. I'm from Calgary so I do have the tourist perspective.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter