Valentine's Day?

We usually don’t celebrate besides buying stuff for the kids, but there’s a couple cute things around my town I wouldnt mind.

One of our local wine bars is doing a wine and cupcake pairing. That might be fun.

The local goat yoga people are delivering baby goat grams - you send a message and the recipient gets to play with a baby goat for a little bit. It sounds kinda cute.

Any local restaurants or bars putting on special events? We have a lot of live music going on around town, wineries are hosting special dinners, etc. I hate just going to a restaurant because they seem so overcrowded with long waits, but a ticketed event like the cupcake paring might be ok.

We usually don’t celebrate besides buying stuff for the kids, but there’s a couple cute things around my town I wouldnt mind.

One of our local wine bars is doing a wine and cupcake pairing. That might be fun.

The local goat yoga people are delivering baby goat grams - you send a message and the recipient gets to play with a baby goat for a little bit. It sounds kinda cute.

Any local restaurants or bars putting on special events? We have a lot of live music going on around town, wineries are hosting special dinners, etc. I hate just going to a restaurant because they seem so overcrowded with long waits, but a ticketed event like the cupcake paring might be ok.

A ticketed event would be better. The crowds and typically sub par food makes me want to stay in, but it's Valentine's Day and I want to celebrate too. I'll look into what's happening locally. Good thoughts; thanks.

I will have my hubby pick up take out from somewhere. We might watch Solo on Netflix since we haven't seen it yet. Will buy the kids something, and buy them Taco Bell.

I would plan a nice meal in, versus going out. As you mentioned, eating out on Valentine's Day is akin to gong to the mall three days before Christmas--kill me now!

My DH's birthday is Halloween--a similar dilemma. We used to have Mongolian Hot Pot--similar to fondue, you simmer broth, and cook your meat/vegetables and eat them with dipping sauces. It was a meal that could be interrupted by the doorbell. You could do something similar, maybe add homemade chocolate-dipped strawberries for dessert.

As for Valentine's Day, we do something fairly unique: my birthday is the next day. Ergo, my DH is instructed to buy me nothing for Valentine's Day, but then go and clean up at the 50% off sales the next day. He's even had luck, swinging by the florist for an unsold arrangement. He is NOT to buy me regular flowers, though. What happens is, he's paid for a dozen roses, at V-Day prices, but naturally, they'are all out. So they substitute something of similar value, which winds up looking like a funeral arrangement, with huge gladiolus and chrysanthemums--you know, to justify the price.

The only exception to the "no flower" rule is, sometimes fire departments do roses as a fundraiser on Valentine's Day--$15 for 3 dozen roses in a variety of colors. That's a great deal, and supports your local firefighters, so it's a win-win.

DH and I go out to dinner to celebrate Valentines Day, but a day before or after to avoid the crowds. We used to buy cards and chocolates for each other but got away from doing that.

Amber, is this what you want to do for your kids or DH or both? ;)

Thanks for asking...DH. I think we're cool on the kids. I'm open to all ideas. I'm in that space were everything and nothing sounds good. Right now cozy clothes and dark chocolate sound perfect.

The only exception to the "no flower" rule is, sometimes fire departments do roses as a fundraiser on Valentine's Day--$15 for 3 dozen roses in a variety of colors. That's a great deal, and supports your local firefighters, so it's a win-win.

All interesting ideas. I'm intrigued if our local firefighters do this. DH buys me flowers weekly from the grocery store (awwwww!) so we're spoiled by cheap flowers and I hate the idea of him paying the huge markup for flowers on the day of. But this sounds amazing and I could make up arrangements for several spaces throughout the house. That is seriously the best fundraiser ever, although I do enjoy the band selling mums in the fall.

My kids are 21 & 23 and I don't think I've ever once gotten them anything for valentines....it never even occurred to me or my husband! haha I'll have to ask them if I scarred them!
We don't really do much for Valentines, although if any local fire companies or schools were holding a fundraiser for flowers I'd probably get some to support them. We usually try for a weekend away in February though, so we will use the excuse of valentines day to justify it!

Well, DH and I do cards but we rarely go out on Valentine's day itself because the anniversary of our first date is February 25th - so we just do something then, when it's quieter. We kind of consider it our own personal Valentine's Day.

As for kids - DS is scheduled to get his braces off February 12th, so it will very likely be a sticky candy fest around here already!!

My kids are 21 & 23 and I don't think I've ever once gotten them anything for valentines....it never even occurred to me or my husband! haha I'll have to ask them if I scarred them!
We don't really do much for Valentines, although if any local fire companies or schools were holding a fundraiser for flowers I'd probably get some to support them. We usually try for a weekend away in February though, so we will use the excuse of valentines day to justify it!

Not getting your kids Valentine's stuff? I'm sure they're in therapy now and will never be able to deal with Feb. 14. It's a good thing CPS didn't find out. I'm just kinda doing what my mom did for me. Similar to an Easter basket, NBD; candy and books mostly. I almost bought more craft stuff, but I'm still traumatized by an unfortunate post holidays sand art incident.

All interesting ideas. I'm intrigued if our local firefighters do this. DH buys me flowers weekly from the grocery store (awwwww!) so we're spoiled by cheap flowers and I hate the idea of him paying the huge markup for flowers on the day of. But this sounds amazing and I could make up arrangements for several spaces throughout the house. That is seriously the best fundraiser ever, although I do enjoy the band selling mums in the fall.

In my experience, this was more of a "rural firehouse" thing--they did it in upstate NY, where all the departments outside of cities were all-volunteer. The FD would order, literally an 18-wheeler truck full of roses. Word would be passed around to the other firehouses in the area, to get the word out. The one dept. that did it was also on a common route home from a big plant, which helped sales. I thought it was a fabulous idea--the roses were inexpensive, but really nice--the FD made money, guys got credit with their wives--it was all good. Even now, we live in a city, but DH and I would go out of our way to support a FD that did this.

DH and I don’t ‘do’ Valentines Day. We met Jan. 29th (will be 30 years this year) and my birthday is Feb. 28th so we go out to dinner somewhere in between, I pick myself out a birthday present and we call it good.

I always buy the kids themed t-shirts but now that they are thirteen I’m pretty sure that’s out. I do have a Captain Marvel tee (red logo on white) for DS and a rainbow “Love Wins” tee in my Gap cart that I might just happen to give them and insist on a pic though...:rolleyes1

For years I would give older DD some kind of heart shaped jewelry and candy. Some years I give the kids a small, simple gift and some years I feel like spoiling them and give something a little more. I’ve discovered Lokai Bracelets so they’ll be getting one in pink, red or white to add to their collection but I’m still on the fence about anything else. There will be candy though. Always candy.

I want a baby goat-gram! Oh my goodness, that sounds so cute!

I make personalized valentine cards every year, based on the kids' current interests (and the ex-husband, back when he wasn't an ex). Gave my daughter a minecraft themed card with a poem the last 2 years, my son has gotten Doctor Who theme, anime, and a Team Fortress 2 poem in years past. You can find all sorts of great examples on Pinterest. Then I make a dinner with everyone's favorite foods/desserts. It's usually a weird combination of dishes but it's fun! I'd save any outside the house activities for after Valentine's Day, everything is always super crowded plus the weather sucks her in PA. Is there something you two have been wanting to do or see? I'm boring, I prefer to stay in so my suggestions are things like snuggling on the couch to watch a movie, trying a new recipe together, maybe have a spa night where you pamper each other, or if you want to go out you could maybe re-create a memorable date from when you first started dating? Pretty sure this is the article that I used to consult for creative yet cheap date ideas: http://www.ldsliving.com/50-Cheap-and-Fun-Date-Ideas/s/71670

Weather is usually bad here in PA-we’ve had snow and ice storms in the past. So I hate to make plans.
Will probably do a nice dinner at home-lobster? and a bottle of sparkling wine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter