Valentine's Day?

We get to go to an 8th grade basketball tournament game - yay! :cheer2::P

We usually don't do much for Valentine's Day anyways - tried going out for a nice dinner years ago and it sucked. Limited menu, raised prices, crappy service. No thanks - I'll wait a couple days and enjoy a meal.

We're going out this weekend to a semi-fancy dinner but it's a place we go pretty often so I'm not sure that it's special but it's special to us:) Nothing big here, how about you? We got the kids small presents and are going to take them to Build a Bear which we've never done. My husband is literally playing that Outkast "Valentine's Day" song in bed next to me right now.
Special to YOU is what matters. Sounds like you have a great guy.
I'll be spending the evening alone eating a junk dinner, getting drunk and listening to my valentines day playlist.

To me valentines is just made up nonsense so “celebrate” it however you want.
I don't disagree with you on it being a made up nonsense "holiday" but it is a nonsense made up "holiday" for couples. To me it is similar to Mothers / Fathers day.

DH fired up the cappuccino machine while I was in the shower this morning. Weekdays are normally just coffee. He had a frothy cap and a plate of dipped strawberries on the bar when I got out of the shower.

I'll make a steak and lobster tail dinner tonight. I also bought a good bottle of wine. We considered going out but most of our fave places have fixed price/inflated price meals plus it's a school night- kids are all grown but we like to go to bed early.

Well, update. A Parents Night Out was offered last Saturday and the kids begged to go, so we took them to that, went out to dinner and then did Netflix and chill at home. We will count that as our anniversary celebration this year (17!).
This morning, I gave the kids each a card, a chocolate bar, a whirly bird (on clearance) and lanyard for Universal trip.
I gave DH cards (one from me, one from the kids), some M&Ms in a heart container, and a lotto ticket (kind of a tradition that DH likes lotto scratch offs in cards, we don't do it other times-$6 on a $3 ticket-woohoo!).
On our actual anniversary this weekend, I will give DH another card with a lotto ticket. His 40th is coming up this year, and he already knows I'm trying to save for a nice watch for him, so we aren't exchanging gifts.

BF is cooking dinner for myself and DD. :love1: I got them each some chocolates. I surprised DD at school today. They were doing a Sweetheart Luncheon and she didn't know I was coming. Then she managed to spend some of my $$ at the school book fair. :P

my husband and I are staying in and binge watching Parks and Rec. We didn't get each other anything except a card. Might get dinner on Saturday though. We hate going to restaurants on Saturday because there is usually a pre fixe menu and its always packed

The other day DW said she'd rather get flowers on a random Tuesday in June than on Valentines Day. I was still going to get her some, but this morning she specifically said NOT to. Just staying home tonight; I'm making a shrimp stir-fry. Maybe we'll go out this weekend.

About a week ago she was complaining that the red lines on her Pyrex measuring cup were wearing off and becoming difficult to read. I don't know if that was a hint, but I bought her a new one. Who says romance is dead? :love:

The other day DW said she'd rather get flowers on a random Tuesday in June than on Valentines Day. I was still going to get her some, but this morning she specifically said NOT to. Just staying home tonight; I'm making a shrimp stir-fry. Maybe we'll go out this weekend.

About a week ago she was complaining the the red lines on her Pyrex measuring cup were wearing off and becoming difficult to read. I don't know if that was a hint, but I bought her a new one. Who says romance is dead? :love:

The best gift ever! Listening to your wife, paying attention to her actual needs and wants!

Historically, Valentines Day is the worst day to spend money dining out, in my opinion! A good night to stay home and cook something cozy!

I'll be spending the evening alone eating a junk dinner, getting drunk and listening to my valentines day playlist.

Will you share your Valentines Playlist?:lovestruc

I don't acknowledge my adult children at Valentine's Day, but when they were little I always helped them make cards and made a special meal and dessert, etc. We're not big gift people or big occasion people, but I've always considered Valentine's Day more of a children's holiday than anything else so I tried to make it special for them. They did parties and cards at school. As a primary elementary school teacher, I'd say Valentine's Day was one of the biggest holidays of the year. It was definitely my favorite and the kids were always so incredibly sweet when making cards etc. for their family members and for each other.

As an adult, I don't really value this one day as more special - though we certainly use it as an opportunity to celebrate when it works for us. I made an apple spice cake (that's what we had at our wedding) but we don't really have any big plans. I've been sick for two weeks and DH has been so sweet. He left me a little love note this morning since I was still sleeping when he left. I don't think either of us would be upset if we just let the day pass, but we usually use the excuse for some extra mush!

We typically get each other a card and something smaller. Dinner is a toss up but I think we usually just stay home and I'm not sure that we really attempt to put on a fancy affair honestly.

One year my husband sent me Shari's Berries to my work. That was a nice surprise and yummy too.

I typically get flower arrangements too (one of the few times throughout the year I get them). My husband is super picky about things sometimes and flowers is one of them. He often picks the flowers individually unless he finds an arrangement that looks really good to him.

Quoting myself

Husband brought home flowers on Tuesday (the vase was already ours):

upload_2019-2-14_16-37-15.png

He's always thinking about things. He didn't want to wait too long when the quality of flowers may not be as good on Valentine's day itself which isn't the first time he's done that. He's such a sweetie :)

Tonight we're classing it up in terms of a meal in terms of what we normally do. It's new york steak and twice baked potatoes (both bought on sale lol) and a bottle of wine (which we will not finish ourselves) from a local winery (we've had the bottle of wine a while actually).

Funny thing Facebook reminded me that last year today we were at a mexican restaurant (that sadly is closed down :( :( ) eating with my mom :laughing:

I don't disagree with you on it being a made up nonsense "holiday" but it is a nonsense made up "holiday" for couples. To me it is similar to Mothers / Fathers day.

Then why do children take Valentines to school?:rotfl:

To me, this is a child-centered holiday. We do silly and fun things for the kids.

I couldn't even imagine celebrating this day with my husband. It would seem so cheesy and forced and uncomfortable to me.

It's funny how every family is different.

We typically don't do valentines day. Not good or bad. Sometimes we would do small gifts or cards but never really a big thing in our house. I did give my husband a sample pack of Jack Daniels this year. (How's that for romantic?) He surprised me with beautiful roses this afternoon and also had plans in his head to go out for dinner. We are nothing if not awesome romantics who did happy hour sushi at our favorite hibachi/sushi place before it was packed. Now I'm back on the couch in my pjs and he is doing his homework. We will have a romantic tv time watching Masked Singer and slice of lemon cake I made other day.

Well here's how my Valentine's Day ended up. I spent last night an hour past bedtime helping the youngest make a llama box for her party at school, even after she decided last weekend she absolutely didn't want to make a box:rolleyes:

Today I spent the day at the hospital with my mom, where she had a successful balloon angioplasty on her heart today. I suppose it's an appropriate day to focus on a heart!

DH and I had lunch out at a restaurant together. We never go out on Valentine's Day, but since we were both off work for my mom and she was resting we were able to enjoy a little time together. I was secretly hoping for a baby goat gram, but I guess it's good he didn't get me one since our day was all crazy anyway.

I think it’s for who you want it to be about. If you look up the origins, it’s not pretty. Growing up it was about the kids making their moms Valentines and sharing Valentines with other kids. I don’t remember my folks “celebrating” but I remember my dad giving us big hearts filled with M&Ms and my great aunt sending me (and later my DD) a card every year. To this day I give my kids M&Ms on Valentines Day. Except for very early years my DH and I don’t celebrate it. We’re not romantics. (We hit 30 years together a couple weeks ago and only remembered a couple of days later.) I gave my kids gifts because it makes me happy. They came home with little trinkets from their friends and their teachers gave them candy. My FB Page is filled with peoples kids and their Valentines gifts or heart shaped pancakes etc. It may be marketed towards couples by jewelers and chocolate companies but a fair amount of people see it as a day about love. Well, once you get past the history, lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter