Vacationing Over Major Holidays?

We have vacationed for the last several thanksgivings and easters. These are more minor holidays for our family and not spent with extended family.

Our school (and my work) schedule is terrible and the only 4 day weekends in the entire school year are thanksgiving and easter and the only week off is Christmas week - we have Christmas at home and then travel to visit family the rest of the time we are off.

DH can’t really get away with taking more than 2 weeks off over the summer - his availability for time off ends 8/1, kids don’t get out of school till late June so there not much wiggle room for summer vacations. We generally do an extended family grandparent sponsored vacation and another one with friends. And once August hits I take the kids to visit family.

Would love the ability to do more travel from Sept-June but the school schedule makes it very difficult.

Thanksgiving and New Years aren't religious holidays in any way. Christmas is, but just barely, IMO.
Well, Christmas does have the word ‘Christ’ in it. Plus, I never said thanksgiving and New Year’s Eve were religious.

We have vacationed over Thanksgiving 4 times and we love it! I work at my kids' school, and we are out from the day before Thanksgiving until the Tuesday after, and it isn't a big deal to miss two days of T-week so we can have a full week of vacation. Although, my oldest is a senior this year and didn't want to miss 2 days, so we skipped the trip. Yes, we miss the big family Thanksgiving dinner, but DH's family has a family dinner every Sunday anyway, so it isn't really a big deal.

If we are going to Disney, we also like to travel over Memorial Day, which is right after we get out of school every year. I know it isn't a "major" holiday, but it is a good time to vacation.

I would like to travel over Christmas since we have 2 weeks off school/work, but weather is always a concern with that.

Thanksgiving and New Years aren't religious holidays in any way. Christmas is, but just barely, IMO.

In many (most?) Catholic dioceses in the US, New Years Day is a Holy Day of Obligation. Solemnity of Mary, Mother of God.

I haven't participated in decades. I think you can fulfill the obligation by attending Mass on NY Eve before you go out partying.

Last year we spent Christmas in Las Vegas and loved it. We were able to travel on off-peak days since we both work remotely, so flights weren't too bad. Hotels were about as expensive as they are any other time we've gone.

We loved being away at the holidays so much this year we're looking to do a cruise over Christmas.

Othan than to families, no. This year we will be though. Will be going to Orange Beach, AL for Christmas. Will be with family, but will be the first time not at someones house.

We spent Christmas at Universal Orlando in 2008, that was one of our best trips. Weather was amazing, crowds weren't bad, and we made crazy use of the FOTL perk.
We've spent a Thanksgivings and a Christmas and a New Years at Destin, but obviously crowds are low at that time of year.

Growing up, I spent one Christmas at WDW, and many Easters vacationing, twice at WDW. Since satrting my own family, we've never been away for Christmas, but we've done Easter in WDW and Myrtle Beach.

Yes and i prefer it to get away from family drama, especially now that kids are older. Somehow WE are always expected to travel to everyone else.
We've done T-day in Disney 2017 (oldest was DCP), then NYE in Disney that year (so much fun-stayed at a condo at Marriott Cypress Harbour and had Tday dinner picked up from Publix, with afternoon cocktails poolside!). DD and I have traveled over spring break a couple times (DC, Disney). And this past Christmas we spent with DH oldest daughter in Jacksonville Florida, followed by a few days at Universal. LOVED it and wish we could do it every year!

Most of our family vacations happen in June though.

Never. Prices are more than other times during the year and places are typically more crowded as some people are limited as to when they can take off or their companies shut down during those weeks. We looked into doing a cruise over Christmas one year and with the jump in cruise price and airfare it was almost 3x what we paid to cruise the 2nd week of January.

Depends on where your going , I am over going to Disney and it has gotten so crazy expensive. I just booked London over thanksgiving holidays for less then I can do a trip here in the states !
Hotel 2 minutes from Westminster Abby for two rooms ( family of 4 ) for 8 nights for 649.00 ( stayed same place in February and was great ) London pass for 109.00 for 3 days and Virgin Atlantic tickets for 412.00 non stop from Orlando MCO .
I am completely fine with missing thanksgiving here and will just do a holiday meal there :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter