Vacationing Over Major Holidays?

We travel for Christmas more often than not, but we are traveling to go stay with relatives who live several states away. So, not really a vacation. Other than that we are usually home on major holidays. DH and I do not enjoy crowds. I don't even want to think about Disney at Christmas. I would lose my mind.

We travel over Thanksgiving. Yes stuff is more money and it's more crowded. But we could do a getaway leaving on Thanksgiving Day and returning Monday after and just use 1 day vacation. We've went to CA, down to Bahamas and even a short cruise in the past.

We've done a few Spring Break (week before Easter) trips when the kids were younger, but not many. Every year I push for a Christmas trip- I'm hoping this year it will be it. I don't even care where- just somewhere warm.

We've done one year away for Thanksgiving for my husband's extended family up in MN, We've done 4th of July in southern MD and went to the D.C. and Baltimore area (unfortunately it rained that year and many fireworks around the region were cancelled or postponed).

Thanksgiving and Christmas are the 2 holidays that I prefer to be at home. All other holidays I don't mind traveling.

We are not Christian, so the ‘major holidays’ everyone else celebrates are not holidays for us. In the past we were on vacation inWDW over Christmas more often than not. We also had a long standing vacation over Easter. New Year’s Eve is spent in Epcot. We do travel to see family for thanksgiving.

Thanksgiving and New Years aren't religious holidays in any way. Christmas is, but just barely, IMO.

I've had to travel quite a bit over the holidays and been to some vacation destinations including Disney. But they've all been people coming to see me that I've taken there or me going to see family. No vacation purely for the sake of a vacation.

Thanksgiving used to be our week for WDW. I get the whole week off as well as any kids in school and it’s the perfect week for dh to take off since trucking can be slow that week. The weather was always great.

We haven’t done that in awhile but this next Thanksgiving, ods will be at work and Dd is planning to travel to sil’s grandmother’s home up north. So that just leaves us and yds and his girls. Thinking about loading everyone up and heading to TN.

The only other holiday we have traveled is July 4th for a beach vacation. Will not do that again. Talk about crowded!

We have been to Disney for Thanksgiving 3 times. Usually when we take our summer vacation one of the last few days tends to be July 4th.

We travel at Thanksgiving to minimize the amount of time ds needs to miss from school. We've been to Disney World, Hershey Hotel & Park, Colonial Williamsburg (Kingsmill Resort) and Mystic, CT. We're booked for a few nights for this coming Thanksgiving at WDW & can't wait to return- it's been way too long! :)

For the most part no. We can travel any time so there is no need to fight traffic and crowds over holidays. The exception is Chicago over Christmas. Downtown hotel rates are very low so we have stayed at the Virgin twice in the last three years. We can take Amtrak so travel is easy.

I HATE Christmas, and would love to be away from it like in the Caribbean, but due to our custody arrangements, it's not possible. Maybe someday.

I have vacationed often around July 4th to make good use of PTO including WDW and several places in Europe which doesn't impact anything. The Irish are so sweet about American's on July 4th - lots of free drinks:)

Last edited:
My Dad lives in the Orlando area, so ever other year we visit him for Christmas. You think we're flying all that way and not doing theme parks? :)

Exactly!! We did this for the first time this past Christmas, and loved it! We did a split stay - 3 nights at POFQ, visited family over the actual holiday, then three nights at AKL. (Here's the trip report.)

We don't do it even every other year, since my folks are "snowbirds" and we see them for a reasonable drive in the summer. But it was fun once!

I would love to travel over both Thanksgiving and Christmas. It's so much work. I'd love to sit back and relax somewhere.

for the past 8 years we have rented a home somewhere within driving distance (but barely) for Christmas, We love it.
This year we might stay home because our oldest graduates from university in the US shortly before the holiday, so coming directly from that we might not want to make another trip.

We used to do wdw for Thanksgiving, back when the kids were little and that used to be low season pricing and crowds in the parks. As a kid, my family and I would go skiing in Crested Butte for a long weekend for Thanksgiving.

We've been on cruises at Easter a number of times (and once at Christmas when the kids were very young).

We're rarely home for major holidays I guess

We've been going away for Thanksgiving for the last 18 years and are often away for Easter. Christmas is always at home.

We've been to DL a couple of times over Christmas, I don't think we've done Thanksgiving. This year, I'm planning an Oahu bday trip for my mom over Thanksgiving. My husband won't be coming due to work/school. I have no qualms about not getting together with the rest of the family.

We’ve done easter in Mexico since we were able to get good fares by playing with travel dates. Our spring break is always easter/Passover week.

Christmas week is always tooooo expensive or we would go. Maybe not on the actual holiday especially when kids were little

We just did a cruise over Thanksgiving. It was the perfect holiday to be away - No need to cart gifts with you! Plus, while it was cold in New England it was nice and sunny in the Bahamas.
The downside was no Black Friday shopping. That was rough for me.

We went to Hawaii for Christmas and New Years several years ago. Loved it! I would do it again in a heartbeat.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter