UY question

nadira36

DIS Veteran
After 5 years of trying to decide, we finally decided we want to actually purchase a DVC contract.

Our question is what's the best UY to purchase based on:

We won't actually be able to travel this calendar year, but would like to travel in FEb 2013 - we also want to travel in Sept of 2013, but on the next years points. So Feb 2013 trip would be 2012 points, sept 2013 would be the 2013 points.

We don't plan to use all of the 2012 so would want to bank them for Sept, but we also need to borrow points from the next years points.

Would an April UY make sense? The points would be avail now, but if we can't actually take our Feb trip it would still give us plenty of time to realize that and bank points. Then the next years points would be available after the Feb trip. Thus giving us access to 3 years of points in Sept.:faint:

Did I figure that out right?

TIA

I would probably look for a Sept UY, although Aug or June may work as well. With the August UY, you could cancel your Feb 2013 31 days in advance and still be able to bank the points. Then, your Oct 2013 trip will be in the early part of your 2013 UY and you could borrow 2014 point if needed.

Unfortunately, it is tough to choose a UY based on what you are doing in the next 2 years, not knowing what you will be doing for the following 28 - 48 years. We have a Dec UY which works for us, most of the time, but I am sure that there will be trips that this may not be the ideal UY based on cancellation and banking issues.

If you generally travel over the Fall and early winter, then Aug or Sept may be your best options.

After 5 years of trying to decide, we finally decided we want to actually purchase a DVC contract.

We won't actually be able to travel this calendar year, but would like to travel in FEb 2013 - we also want to travel in Sept of 2013, but on the next years points. So Feb 2013 trip would be 2012 points, sept 2013 would be the 2013 points.

We don't plan to use all of the 2012 so would want to bank them for Sept, but we also need to borrow points from the next years points.

Would an April UY make sense? The points would be avail now, but if we can't actually take our Feb trip it would still give us plenty of time to realize that and bank points. Then the next years points would be available after the Feb trip. Thus giving us access to 3 years of points in Sept.:faint:

TIA

You want a UY where you'll do most of your traveling early in the UY. An April UY would be good if you plan to travel a lot in the summer. But like PP said, if you plan to travel in the fall and winter, an August or September UY would probably work best for you.

Just for reference, your February 2013 trip would use points from your 2012 UY, while your September 2013 trip would use points from your 2013 UY.

Thanks.

We'll typically travel in early Sept (with the occasional Oct) and Late Nov/early Dec. February every 3rd year or so and once or twice May, but Sept/Dec being the 2 most common.

I grew up going to WDW at Christmas every year, and love the decorations :santa:. So typical will be Dec one year followed by Sept the next. And yes we see this continuing for quite some time we're homeschoolers so will typically travel when everyone else is in school. It might be busy for DVCers, but I don't want the crowds we'd get at other times of the year.

Sept UY, I don't think, would work b/c we'll often start our vacation the last week of Aug. I'm not even sure about Aug because the Sept trip may get adjusted to an AUg trip to accommodate traveling companions.

But July should work b/c I'm not likely to actually do any traveling in june/july, and the points would be avail between Dec/Sept. In fact June and july are pretty much guaranteed to not be used for traveling anytime in the next 10 years.

MOst of the time we won't need to worry about not taking a trip (even if it's the end of the UY). The only reason that might happen this time is b/c we didn't plan on taking a trip, and thus don't have the money saved for it - but then purchasing DVC will take away the $ we did have so there may not be money for flights this year and our Sept trip is very important so can't be changed.

TIA

Pick which eight months that you will normally vacation.

Choose the UY month at the beginning of the eighth month period.

Don't focus so much on when you get your points.

:earsboy: Bill

Thanks.

We'll typically travel in early Sept (with the occasional Oct) and Late Nov/early Dec. February every 3rd year or so and once or twice May, but Sept/Dec being the 2 most common.

I grew up going to WDW at Christmas every year, and love the decorations :santa:. So typical will be Dec one year followed by Sept the next. And yes we see this continuing for quite some time we're homeschoolers so will typically travel when everyone else is in school. It might be busy for DVCers, but I don't want the crowds we'd get at other times of the year.

Sept UY, I don't think, would work b/c we'll often start our vacation the last week of Aug. I'm not even sure about Aug because the Sept trip may get adjusted to an AUg trip to accommodate traveling companions.

But July should work b/c I'm not likely to actually do any traveling in june/july, and the points would be avail between Dec/Sept. In fact June and july are pretty much guaranteed to not be used for traveling anytime in the next 10 years.

MOst of the time we won't need to worry about not taking a trip (even if it's the end of the UY). The only reason that might happen this time is b/c we didn't plan on taking a trip, and thus don't have the money saved for it - but then purchasing DVC will take away the $ we did have so there may not be money for flights this year and our Sept trip is very important so can't be changed.

August would probably be perfect for you. The Aug UY starts on Aug 1, so any late Aug trip would be in your new UY. Aug UY points need to be banked by March 31, so any travel prior to that could be cancelled and the points could still be banked. There is no July UY. There is also no Jan, May or Nov.

if you'll never travel in july, then july is a poor choice of UY month (assuming it existed). aug would be better.

i think you have a fairly common but wrongheaded idea of what UY means. for example, my points for my oct 2014 are already in my account, but i'm limited by 2 factors:

1) i can only borrow 1 year ahead, so i can borrow 2014 pts into my 2013 UY but no further - i can't borrow them twice to get them to my 2012 UY.

2) i can only book 11 months out at my home resort. so for a reservation starting oct 1, 2013 (i.e. my 2013 UY), the earliest i can book that reservation with borrowed 2014 pts is when i call on the morning of nov 1, 2012.

please throw out what you think you know about UY and take some time to read or scan through these 2 threads:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2912874

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1942668

Great thanks so much. It's tough to wrap my head around lol.

But I think I got it figured out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter