USPS "Out for Delivery" but package never showed

LittleStinkerbelle

DIS Veteran
I've been tracking a package that I'm waiting for and the status showed as "out for delivery" at about 9:30 this morning:cool1:.

The mail carrier has come and gone and it never showed up. Local post office said the carrier said the package wasn't on the truck but can't give us any more info 'til they open tomorrow:confused3.

Has anyone else had this happen? Did the package show up the next day? I'm wondering if it's there at the post office but didn't get on the truck in time. Not sure though since the tracking status did flip to out for delivery.

Ack, this was a hard-to-find item I sure hope it's not lost:sad1:.

Out for delivery is a phrase used by UPS -United Parcel Service...Not the USPS United States Postal Service.

What company is delivering this?

Out for delivery is a phrase used by UPS -United Parcel Service...Not the USPS United States Postal Service.

I have had packages from USPS say that it was out for delivery when I look up the DC number.

To the OP, I have had this happen before and it ended up being delivered the next day. My packages are usually delivered later than my other mail and they never got a chance to make the package delivery and delivered it the next day.

The USPS also uses the phrase Out for Delivery.

And I would be wary. I have had several packages go out for deliver with the USPS and never show up at my door. And the post office would not take any responsibility.

Hopefully you will get it tomorrow. Could have been it was placed on the wrong truck.

Ours said out for delivery a couple Saturdays ago. Then it said notice left. Well we never got mail that day and no notice was left. Monday it showed up with 2 days worth of mail. I'm sure our rural mail carrier was lazy that day and just skipped out development.

Hope your package turns up tomorrow!

I have never had a USPS tracking number work. It will tell me online that it was picked up for delivery from the source, and then it shows up at my door before the online status changes.

Typical government operation. They can't get anything right.

Thanks all for sharing your experiences - gives me hope that maybe it'll turn up tomorrow :rotfl:. I did call the sender and he said it's insured so at least there's that.

It is USPS - they do use this term in their tracking info. This is what it says (I deleted my location info):
Out for Delivery, March 16, 2011, 9:29 am

I have never had a USPS tracking number work. It will tell me online that it was picked up for delivery from the source, and then it shows up at my door before the online status changes.

by
moburg

FYI, The mail carrier has their scanner with them as they service the route. When they return to the office, the scanner is cradled for uploading. That is how the information gets to the tracking website. A packaged scanned as delivered at 10am could easily not have its information available until late in the day. Many times the mailer enters the "picked up for delivery" info online and it is not an official entry scan. I am a long time postal employee and have had very few problems with the tracking system.

TO the OP, I bet you will have the package tomorrow.

Do you think a neighbor has it? I was tracking a UPS package a few months ago and it said "delivered to front door" on the status but the driver delivered it to the wrong house!

by
moburg

FYI, The mail carrier has their scanner with them as they service the route. When they return to the office, the scanner is cradled for uploading. That is how the information gets to the tracking website. A packaged scanned as delivered at 10am could easily not have its information available until late in the day. Many times the mailer enters the "picked up for delivery" info online and it is not an official entry scan. I am a long time postal employee and have had very few problems with the tracking system.

TO the OP, I bet you will have the package tomorrow.

And with UPS/FedEx, I could probably still see the truck in the neighborhood when the website is updated that the package has been delivered.

Do you think a neighbor has it? I was tracking a UPS package a few months ago and it said "delivered to front door" on the status but the driver delivered it to the wrong house!

I was thinking that but our neighbor is extremely good about letting us know if she gets a piece of our mail. Even if it's just junk mail, she calls us right away and says, "I have a letter here for you from xyz" - she's very cute that way.

moburg said:
Oh. I wasn't aware the government took over the USPS. When did that happen?

"Independent agencies of the United States federal government are those agencies that exist outside of the federal executive departments (those headed by a Cabinet secretary). More specifically, the term is used to describe agencies that, while constitutionally part of the executive, are independent of presidential control, usually because the president's power to dismiss the agency head or a member is limited." (Wikipedia, and yes, I know all about wikipedia sources; on the other hand, there's no usps.gov website)

Oh. I wasn't aware the government took over the USPS. When did that happen?

"Independent agencies of the United States federal government are those agencies that exist outside of the federal executive departments (those headed by a Cabinet secretary). More specifically, the term is used to describe agencies that, while constitutionally part of the executive, are independent of presidential control, usually because the president's power to dismiss the agency head or a member is limited." (Wikipedia, and yes, I know all about wikipedia sources; on the other hand, there's no usps.gov website)

It is still partially ran and funded by the Government.

Ours said out for delivery a couple Saturdays ago. Then it said notice left. Well we never got mail that day and no notice was left. Monday it showed up with 2 days worth of mail. I'm sure our rural mail carrier was lazy that day and just skipped out development.

Hope your package turns up tomorrow!

So it's not just our mail people that do this?!

I'm dealing with a company right now... usps said the package was delivered, its been over a week, and no package. The neighbors (I only have two) haven't seen it either. They are sending me a new item, but where did the first one go? It wasn't here, that's for sure!

ARGH! I hate it when people pull up old threads. I never check dates!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter