Using points to stay in the FW Cabins?

JMLBrats

DIS Veteran
Has anyone done this? Did you enjoy the experience? Compared to staying at a DVC !
DH is worried about how spread out the resort is and that it will take us forever to "get anywhere".

Any thoughts, ideas, etc?

We are also thinking about staying at BLT and to be honest is has to be one or the other. We will be doing a split stay so one half has to be either BLT, BCV or FW, the other would have to be one of the less points needed DVC resorts. (not sure which yet)

I know...BLT and FW could not be any more different...and we never stayed at Contemporary or FW. (although we have stayed at WL)

:surfweb:

I really liked the cabins when we stayed in them in 2004 (this was before I knew about DVC), however, I grew up camping in a travel trailer every other weekend, FW being our favorite destination so there was an allure there for me.

They're not as spacious as a DVC room, they're mobile homes decked out to look like cabins (the wheels are still there under the base cover). The back bedroom was quite dark and really can only sleep 3 comfortably, unless the 2 sharing the bed are small as there's a wall on one side. The living room area is well laid out and the deck is to die for!

FW is amazing from a campground perspective. I don't know of another that's so well kept and with so many amenities. I can't compare the cabins to DVC: they're two different worlds that happen to be in the same location.

I love the cabins, and will eventually stay there again, but with DVC I think I'll be trying for an SSR treehouse first. However, I'll miss the boat to the MK, the campground stores, music, basketball hoops, playgrounds, fields, stables... you get the idea ;)

Question, to book the Wilderness cabins on points requires the $95 dollar fee?

I really liked the cabins when we stayed in them in 2004 (this was before I knew about DVC), however, I grew up camping in a travel trailer every other weekend, FW being our favorite destination so there was an allure there for me.

They're not as spacious as a DVC room, they're mobile homes decked out to look like cabins (the wheels are still there under the base cover). The back bedroom was quite dark and really can only sleep 3 comfortably, unless the 2 sharing the bed are small as there's a wall on one side. The living room area is well laid out and the deck is to die for!

FW is amazing from a campground perspective. I don't know of another that's so well kept and with so many amenities. I can't compare the cabins to DVC: they're two different worlds that happen to be in the same location.

I love the cabins, and will eventually stay there again, but with DVC I think I'll be trying for an SSR treehouse first. However, I'll miss the boat to the MK, the campground stores, music, basketball hoops, playgrounds, fields, stables... you get the idea ;)

See, you're making me want to stay there....if only I could convince DH! But I do wish we could do both, FW & BLT. He was hoping to do half our stay in a Epcot area resort (BCV or BWV) which we both love but just want to try something different...

I've read many wonderful stories of the cabins and campground, but I'm not sure I could do it.
It may of been my odd experience, but when I once ate there, it felt like I left Disney and I did not see that anything looked nicer than National parks I have camped at.
Also, they have their own internal bus system, so you have to transfer buses to go to a park. (Or boat to MK)
I can see how a cabin would seem to be a nice upgrade over a Value or Moderate, much like a 1BR is nicer than a studio. But I'm not sure a cabin compares favorably to a 1or 2BR..
I would suggest going to an ADR at FW, walk around and decide if you want to book a stay.

I stayed there before I owned DVC. I thought the atmosphere was very nice, but did find it to be a hassle getting around (and we even rented a golf cart to avoid the internal bus). I would consider it again if I wasn't spending a lot of time at the parks.

We stayed at the cabins two years ago and the cabins themselves are pretty awesome!! Since they are stand alone units with their own decks they feel like having your own private little vacation home. The only downside for us was if you have a car you're always at the mercy of the buses. They don't pull off the road to pick up at bus stops so if you get behind one you just have to wait at every stop...no passing allowed. Also the main pool can get swamped with guests sometimes because there are many, many campsites. but all in all it was a pretty cool place!!

Last year we stayed at BLT and that was also very cool. Two different types of places to stay though. Contemporary vs rustic living! Overall I have to say I liked BLT better. It was like having a little condo right next to MK. Plus the resort fireworks view is awesome!!

Yes, to question above about $95 fee. Have stayed but not on DVC points. Rooms are actually much smaller than a 1BR DVC unit and would not recommend for more than 4 max. You get a a large porch and can park a car right at unit. Likely to see some critters sometimes in the morning or evening (racoons, peacocks, armadillos) Highly recommend car if you stay there and use it to go to all places outside of FW other than MK. Cabins are all located on southern half of FW and activity areas are on northern end. You use internal busses for getting around inside but can rent a golf cart and use it. Trip to MK is via boat (although you have option to take bus) and all other parks are bus. Every trip requires first internal bus and then MK boat or bus to other parks.

They have a lot of nice activities, ponies, hay rides, nightly campfire/movie, good main pool. Years ago it was extra great because you could walk over to River Country and there was a boat to Discovery Island, both now long gone. Has one of the best and least expensive buffet restaurants on site. Also, easy access to Hoop-Dee-Doo, a show that has been running for longer than most have been alive. And here is another great thing they had many years ago but is now long gone: The Melvin the Moose Character Breakfast which I still believe was the best character breakfast they have ever had (the main character, Melvin, actually talked and sang.

...(snip)....... And here is another great thing they had many years ago but is now long gone: The Melvin the Moose Character Breakfast which I still believe was the best character breakfast they have ever had (the main character, Melvin, actually talked and sang.

Thanks for the memory! I loved that character breakfast, even though we never stayed at one of the FW cabins. I think Melvin got retired to the wall over at the Country Bears attraction in the MK.

ThankS for all the great replies. I'm still torn. We've been there many x's in the past but hacve never done hoop (which is something I really want to check out)
We will have a car but I'm thinking that we would want to rent the cart anyway.
We r a family of five with the youngest being 7 when we go so I'm thinking it will be plenty of room for us....
Guess we'll have to figure it out....

ThankS for all the great replies. I'm still torn. We've been there many x's in the past but hacve never done hoop (which is something I really want to check out)
We will have a car but I'm thinking that we would want to rent the cart anyway.
We r a family of five with the youngest being 7 when we go so I'm thinking it will be plenty of room for us....
Guess we'll have to figure it out....

Just my opinion: The bus system works very well. Historically, there was always another bus for us within 10 minutes of walking up to the stop, and the longest walk to a stop we ever had was about a 90 second walk. No cart needed.

No cart means no hassle of parking, finding and returning the critter. This equates to less stress and cheaper too. Also, the buses are better to keep us dry and warm if it's rainy, cold or even too hot. I'll never understand why people rent them other than to "Keep up with the Jonses".

Not to sway you into staying in the Fort, but have you been looking at the Ft W pics over here? Some awesome images there that really convey the feel of the grounds :laughing:

I've read many wonderful stories of the cabins and campground, but I'm not sure I could do it.
It may of been my odd experience, but when I once ate there, it felt like I left Disney and I did not see that anything looked nicer than National parks I have camped at.
Also, they have their own internal bus system, so you have to transfer buses to go to a park. (Or boat to MK)
I can see how a cabin would seem to be a nice upgrade over a Value or Moderate, much like a 1BR is nicer than a studio. But I'm not sure a cabin compares favorably to a 1or 2BR..
I would suggest going to an ADR at FW, walk around and decide if you want to book a stay.

We just ventured over to FW last weekend and I totally agree it is like another world there. We did not feel like we were in Disney. I couldn't wait to get back to the DVC Resort. We had a horrible experience dining at Trail's End. It was the dirtiest restaurant I have ever been too. I'm glad we went to check it out, but I will never return.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter